What's new

70th (2018) Primetime Emmy Awards (2 Viewers)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You don't have to watch any of their shows, past or present, or ironically post pictures of your favorite television stars in your avatars. Stick to the Drudge Report to maintain that celebrities-should-just-shut-up world view, you're on the wrong forum. If you consume their product, you're the ones that made them rich and full of themselves in the first place.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Enough with the political references and lets get back to discussing the Emmy winners and losers.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sorry, but every year some sour headline or party crasher has to crow about the Emmy ratings being down, like that's some kind of legitimate referendum on anything in a fractured television market. But if I had the chance to speak my mind in front of 11 million people on live television, I'd make Howard Beale sound like Betty White. First Amendment, baby! ;)

And Betty White WON... something. right? (keeping it safe)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Why does John Oliver continue to win in the "Variety" Talk Show category? I love me some John Oliver, but there is no variety in his show, it's just him talking for 30 minutes, 20 of which are about one topic.

If they wanted to reward a Variety Talk Show hitting on all cylinders this year, they should have gone with Stephen Colbert. The man's monologue is on fire, he does a great guest interview, he drinks the best bourbon on camera, plus he's got hot musical performances and a smoking house band with Jon Batiste. And it's in the Ed Sullivan Theater. Even God makes occasional appearances. It's a true "Variety" show. Just saying.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Why does John Oliver continue to win in the "Variety" Talk Show category? I love me some John Oliver, but there is no variety in his show, it's just him talking for 30 minutes, 20 of which are about one topic.
There isn't really a category for what he does. It's basically long-form new aggregation with some frat boy humor thrown in to make the medicine go down easier.

On the other hand, it's the only one of the six nominees I watch consistently. Part of that is because of its running time and scheduling (a half hour once a week is a lot easier to fit in than shows that air 4-5 times a week, especially the late shows that air for an hour or more each night. But the main reason is because he'll spend 15-20 minutes exploring a topic in greater depth. Often his team will find great in-depth investigative journalism or analysis that hasn't gotten a lot of mainstream traction and then boil that down to 15-20 minutes. People come for the dick jokes and leaving knowing a bit more about something obscure but important like civil asset forfeiture.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
"Investigative journalism." What's that?

But seriously, let's give Oliver's team a Pulitzer Prize for actual investigative journalism in an age where there's hardly any left. And then the Variety Talk Show category is still open at the Emmys for an actual variety talk show to win.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There isn't really a category for what he does.

In a nutshell, that's my issue with a lot of Emmy choices in recent years - not just talking about Oliver specifically but the way that there are lots of new categories in the real world for how content is made and distributed, and then Emmy just folds it into their existing categories whether or not they fit.

I don't think it's necessarily fair, for instance, that Game Of Thrones gets to compete in the same category as network dramas. It doesn't feel fair that the six episodes of Game Of Thrones that took two years to make (and would have been given more time if they had wanted it) should be judged on the same basis as a network show which has to produce 22 episodes over the course of a season and must make an airdate no matter. Doing a six episode high budget premium cable show really well is an achievement. Doing 22 episodes over the course of a year with budget constraints and firm deadlines is also an achievement. I just don't see them as being remotely the same achievement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks