What's new

70th (2018) Primetime Emmy Awards (1 Viewer)

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Loved Mrs. Maisel, so good to see it win, but most thrilled was the fact it ended only 2 minutes 'over'. I loved the award nominees being read in advance as they walked out with the presenters just reading the winner. I think that sped things up a good bit and made for fewer dumb mistakes in pronunciations.

Agreed. Maybe the Oscars could implement something like this in their telecast as well.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Loved Mrs. Maisel, so good to see it win, but most thrilled was the fact it ended only 2 minutes 'over'. I loved the award nominees being read in advance as they walked out with the presenters just reading the winner. I think that sped things up a good bit and made for fewer dumb mistakes in pronunciations.
This is the only thing I thought the production got right.
The Rudolph and Armison bits were awful.

I don’t like that after the nominations were read and winner announced they never said the name of the winner again.
Some of them I had no idea who they were and putting the names on screen would have been very helpful.

Also the names of the presenters and winner announcer.
I have no idea who some of them were most notably the woman who came out alone and said no one probably wanted to come out with her anyway even the winner wasn’t there probably because of her.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Don't/didn't watch the Emmy's, but just happened upon this thread and was curious to see the nominations. I assume Better Call Saul didn't qualify for whatever reason?

I agree there is just so much good stuff to watch on TV these days (99% of which are on cable/streaming), it's impossible to recognize all of it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Don't/didn't watch the Emmy's, but just happened upon this thread and was curious to see the nominations. I assume Better Call Saul didn't qualify for whatever reason?
I believe that a show needed to air between June 1, 2017 and May 31, 2018. Technically, I think a few episodes from last season of BCS aired in June but they either couldn't or didn't try to say that that one season counted in two Emmy periods.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Smallest audience ever for the Emmys, down over a million viewers from last year (10.17 million this year vs. 11.38 million last year). Also a new low in the 18-49 demo (2.4 vs. 2.5 last yr).

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
As long as these self righteous folks love being patted on the back, this show will probably never die off. At worst, it gets dumped from network TV and goes to Hulu or similar.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Really made me want to see "The Assassination of Gianni Versace". I had it on my DVR until about a month ago when I had to make space. As it is, I'm always hovering around 85% full!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thanks to the ease that you can access information today, the numbers will be even lower next year. I wanted to know who won and I found out online without watching one second of the show.
Yep, me too. But it makes you wonder how much longer the broadcast networks will be willing to pay the fees to broadcast the awards show with an ever shrinking audience and with most of the awards given to cable and streaming shows.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yep, me too. But it makes you wonder how much longer the broadcast networks will be willing to pay the fees to broadcast the awards show with an ever shrinking audience and with most of the awards given to cable and streaming shows.

I bet, for the foreseeable future, we'll still see these kinds of broadcasts, but we'll see networks continuing to use them as stealth platforms for their own shows.

For instance: the Emmys this year were hosted by SNL performers Michael Che and Colin Jost, and was produced by Lorne Michaels, who not only produces SNL for NBC, but also produces Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers and some of their primetime programming. So in addition to being an awards show, the Emmys also wound up being a three hour promo for NBC's brand of comedy.

ABC does the same thing with the Oscars now; it's becoming an extension of Jimmy Kimmel's late night show, so the entire event ends up being a promotional tool for ABC to plug its own late night programming.

CBS did the same with the Grammys by having James Corden host; the Grammys ended up being a giant promo for Corden's late night show.

I think as long as the networks can use them as showcases for their in-house talent, they'll stick around. But I think the trade-off will be that the shows will start feeling more and more like that particular network's flavor of comedy, and less like an independent event. So if you like the Lorne Michaels brand of humor, you'll enjoy the Emmys, but if you don't find Michaels to be funny, the awards show might not be entertaining to you; and they may no longer put in an effort to try to appeal to a super wide audience by broadening the variety of humor.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
If it's up against repeats during off season time, sure it does better. Put it up against new season stuff and probably not the case.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There probably will not be first run competition against the Emmys - it's the television industry's biggest night, and I don't think any network is going to counter-program against it when it's in their own interest to have the awards show reach the widest audience possible.

It's just with audience fragmentation, DVR. and the ease of getting factual information quickly from other sources, someone can find out who won every single Emmy and never have to watch a minute of the broadcast. Or someone can watch it on the DVR later in the evening, which doesn't provide the same ratings number. And many more people will just watch clips of the show online for categories and winners that are of specific interest to them.

It is extremely unlikely in the year 2018, or any year that follows, that we'll ever have a scenario where 50% or more of the televisions in the country are tuned to the same channel at the same time. The way we consume entertainment, and the options for consuming entertainment, are so much greater and more varied than they were ten, twenty and fifty years ago that no program will ever again attain the ratings records that were set when the medium was new.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I never understand the cynicism of every year pointing out how the ratings are down and nobody cares about these well-paid Hollywood celebrities. We get it, you hate well-paid Hollywood celebrities having a celebration. But this celebration isn't for you, and if you think working 17-hour days for months on end is easy work, you'd never understand why taking a night out to dress up and play 'we made it,' is well-earned.

Television is a fragmented medium, further fragmented by streaming service providers. NOTHING gets the 30 million ratings that prime time shows with three networks used to regularly achieve. Ratings aren't even relevant to many providers now who don't air commercials. Just keep pumping out the content. But there is still and will remain a segment of the audience who appreciates free television and a night celebrating the entertainers who appear there and elsewhere. So enough with the sour grapes.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I never understand the cynicism of every year pointing out how the ratings are down and nobody cares about these well-paid Hollywood celebrities. We get it, you hate well-paid Hollywood celebrities having a celebration.

No, just hate the Hollywood pukes who use this as a platform to spew forth their ignorance as they perch high above in their multi-million dollar homes.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I never understand the cynicism of every year pointing out how the ratings are down and nobody cares about these well-paid Hollywood celebrities. We get it, you hate well-paid Hollywood celebrities having a celebration. But this celebration isn't for you, and if you think working 17-hour days for months on end is easy work, you'd never understand why taking a night out to dress up and play 'we made it,' is well-earned.

Television is a fragmented medium, further fragmented by streaming service providers. NOTHING gets the 30 million ratings that prime time shows with three networks used to regularly achieve. Ratings aren't even relevant to many providers now who don't air commercials. Just keep pumping out the content. But there is still and will remain a segment of the audience who appreciates free television and a night celebrating the entertainers who appear there and elsewhere. So enough with the sour grapes.

I'm sure they "work" hard but their every whim is granted so they are pampered 24/7, have no real world daily problems that can't be fixed with money or fame that comes with it. They don't need a "night out" to relax.

Folks slaving away 12+ hours a day in a factory and have to go home and feed the family, do homework, clean house, rinse and repeat 5+ days a week need the "night out", Not these spoiled Hollywood brats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks