What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Wow, some of you are having HORRIBLE luck with your computers! I feel for ya.

I haven't had any issues using W10 on my 6 month old Asus 2 in 1 system. Nor on the 6 year old HP that upgraded to W10. We pretty much power on, sign in, surf/email/write docs.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

I haven't had any issues using W10 on my 6 month old Asus 2 in 1 system. Nor on the 6 year old HP that upgraded to W10. We pretty much power on, sign in, surf/email/write docs.
I do hope this trend continues for you! Most of my Windows 10 issues have been of the annoying variety, but the login text field sometimes not displaying has been the worst in that regard, as it really sucks when either waiting it out HOPING that it will eventually display so that I can then log into Windows, or else slamming down my mouse (Again, I have NO idea why THAT method seems to work - poor mouse!) appear to be my only options! There doesn't appear to be any online documentation of this issue, either! :rolleyes:

CHEERS! :)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Is there any chance you have a lemon computer and it's not W10 causing all these headaches you have?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Is there any chance you have a lemon computer and it's not W10 causing all these headaches you have?
I don't believe so. This Acer PC Laptop was already nearly two years old when I upgraded to Windows 10. The login display issue only began after the major Windows 10 update last summer, but it seemed to go away with a subsequent update not long after that. However, in the last few weeks, this issue has returned with a vengeance, and it has been a lot worse, of late, with this lack of login display now occurring nearly every time I boot up!

It seems odd to me that NOBODY else has reported having this issue, but so it goes!

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Is this the issue?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...gin-page/fc44d277-faba-40f2-902d-1ccf0bd2a5ea

similar

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...n-screen/584819c5-ed48-4e28-b9bc-3d4ab51e19ed

I was able to resolve the issue.
Pressing shift button and restart took me to the screen where it gave you the option to choose the "Troubleshoot". I clicked on the Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
When it is restarted, it gave me the option to enter the safe mode. After booting the machine with safe mode, it prompted the password to login.
I logged in and uncheck the "safe boot". Now, it prompted to enter password to login.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It turns out that at least some of my recent issues may have been due to a damaged (Admittedly somewhat self-inflicted - 6 GB of RAM simply isn't enough, but I can't justify the expense of upgrading it by a mere 2 GB to my Acer Laptop's maximum 8 GB capability!) mouse. The middle wheel on my old Microsoft wireless mouse hadn't worked in quite some time, for starters. On our limited budget, I simply didn't consider replacing it a priority, as it appeared to be otherwise fully functional. In fact, I thought that some of my recent problems might have been due to an external USB hub.

What happened was, about a week before Christmas, my wife picked up a new Logitech wireless mouse, as she thought her "old" Microsoft wireless mouse was no longer working, but in fact, simply needed a fresh battery. It is that Logitech mouse that I'm currently using. While not perfect, performing basic functions does seem to be less of a headache, at the moment.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My media computer is working well, except that it won't sleep. If I manually put it in sleep mode, it resumes a couple seconds later. I've done some simple testing (closing out Emby Server, closing Edge, uninstalling iCloud) and can't isolate the cause. So I'm thinking of going nuclear: wiping the C: drive and reinstalling everything from Win10 up. The side benefit of this is eliminating detritus from installing and uninstalling various applications as I searched for the right software suite to control my HTPC.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I did let the disk check complete once, and yes, it does keep running. Thankfully, it isn't my Laptop's Hard Drive, but it does appear to be my main 2 TB external that's triggering this, which is a real drag, especially considering it's the newest one of the bunch, and I simply have no way of backing up THAT much data at the present! Ironically, I was price checking similar capacity Hard Drives at Staples yesterday, and if anything, they seem to be pricier than they were when I purchased the 2 TB Hard Drive two and a half years ago! I would have thought the price of these might have dropped some for these, but sadly no! Perhaps it's that fewer newer computers have large capacity Hard Drives to begin with, is what's pushing up the price point for the externals, who knows?

Well. a little more than 2 months after I originally posted the text above, it appears that my 2 TB Seagate Drive has indeed failed! :(

Over the past few days, the Seagate Drive either doesn't read at all, or otherwise displays as "Local Disk ( J: )" on my PC Device list. Either way, I have zero access. Along with the usual fiddling around with the USB 3.0 port, I've tried using alternate ports and USB wires, but nothing seems to work.

I know that Hard Drives aren't supposed to be forever, but that Seagate Drive was by far my most expensive and newest (Less than 3 years old!), not to mention my largest capacity Hard Drive, external or otherwise. To be honest, this is going to severely hurt for awhile, especially as I cannot afford a replacement! This just royally sucks!! :( :(

EDIT: Of course, after I typed this post, my Seagate Drive just suddenly became accessible again! Maybe my system is populated by Gremlins? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Is there a way to set a default font or font size to web pages?

My laptop sometimes opens up with gigantic fonts, switch to a different page and it will be almost microscopic. Constantly having to use control/+ or - to readjust things.

Started happening about two weeks ago, didn't do anything, just a generic Windows 10 install I've had for over a year but suddenly the font size on every page, e-mail, web, etc. is all over the place.

Can be so tiny you can't even read it up to where a few words fill the entire screen.

Stan

Senior HTF Member

I'm still adjusting to W10. Brand new laptop a year ago, OS pre-installed, not an upgrade. It's just so different. Worked with MS systems, servers and PCs, clear back to Windows for Workgroups. Still have an old PC, you know the type, the giant beige box that weighs 50 lbs. It's running Windows 98, good old fashioned Ethernet cable, no wireless, yet still working. But web pages and other programs are so poorly designed now, memory is cheap, so no need to worry if the programming is sloppy, things are fast enough now that you normally won't notice, as long has your hardware is current and you have 8 GB+ of RAM.

Had a Vista PC some friends gave me when I was between computers, wow did that thing suck.

I really miss my HP laptop that was running Windows 7. Backlit keyboard, 17 inch screen, ton of memory and hard drive space. I loved it, but sadly it croaked and not worth the money to repair. Got it for about $500 because I was a student, but regular price was almost $1500.

W10 is pretty decent, found out my main issue was it had defaulted to tablet mode. Somebody on this forum told me how to fix that and things improved a lot.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Overall, I prefer Win10 to Win7. It's still Windows with decade old quirks that remind me why I like macOS best for home use. But I have no regrets building my HTPC on Win10.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well. a little more than 2 months after I originally posted the text above, it appears that my 2 TB Seagate Drive has indeed failed! :(

Over the past few days, the Seagate Drive either doesn't read at all, or otherwise displays as "Local Disk ( J: )" on my PC Device list. Either way, I have zero access. Along with the usual fiddling around with the USB 3.0 port, I've tried using alternate ports and USB wires, but nothing seems to work.

I know that Hard Drives aren't supposed to be forever, but that Seagate Drive was by far my most expensive and newest (Less than 3 years old!), not to mention my largest capacity Hard Drive, external or otherwise. To be honest, this is going to severely hurt for awhile, especially as I cannot afford a replacement! This just royally sucks!! :( :(

EDIT: Of course, after I typed this post, my Seagate Drive just suddenly became accessible again! Maybe my system is populated by Gremlins? :rolleyes:
I definitely can't blame my Seagate Drive woes on Windows 10, as I've tried using it on my wife's PC Laptop, which has Windows 8.1; plus I tried connecting it to our Samsung Blu-ray Player's USB drive, but it won't read there at all.

At most, the drive will display on my Windows PC device list with the capacity and remaining space available. However, any attempt to get into the folders, or even right click onto the Seagate Drive simply causes Windows Explorer to enter "Not Responding" mode. Thus, I'm apparently screwed for even attempting to reformat/erase the drive! :(

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Not much really. It keeps your system up to date, applies some bug fixes for specific problems, nothing that affected me, and it patches security holes. By grabbing the update at a time of MY choosing, I can reduce the annoyance factor of applying updates, rebooting, etc.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I definitely can't blame my Seagate Drive woes on Windows 10, as I've tried using it on my wife's PC Laptop, which has Windows 8.1; plus I tried connecting it to our Samsung Blu-ray Player's USB drive, but it won't read there at all.

At most, the drive will display on my Windows PC device list with the capacity and remaining space available. However, any attempt to get into the folders, or even right click onto the Seagate Drive simply causes Windows Explorer to enter "Not Responding" mode. Thus, I'm apparently screwed for even attempting to reformat/erase the drive! :(

It's likely too late now, but if a drive starts showing signs of severe failure, you need to stop,using it and send it to a recovery service for possible data recovery. Assuming the data is worth the cost and isn't backed up elsewhere.

Home troubleshooting a failing drive will likely hasten its demise and decease the opportunity to save the data.

In any case, at that point, the drive is dead.

Sorry this hit you. I've lost drives over the years and lost irreplaceable personal photos trying to save the drive.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's likely too late now, but if a drive starts showing signs of severe failure, you need to stop,using it and send it to a recovery service for possible data recovery. Assuming the data is worth the cost and isn't backed up elsewhere.

Home troubleshooting a failing drive will likely hasten its demise and decease the opportunity to save the data.

In any case, at that point, the drive is dead.

Sorry this hit you. I've lost drives over the years and lost irreplaceable personal photos trying to save the drive.
Thanks Dave.

What makes this worse is it's my largest capacity drive and also the newest, yet falls a bit outside the extended warranty, so replacement is not an option, either. Precious photos tend to be backed up pretty well, so I believe I'm OK that way. It just kind of stinks that I didn't even get 3 years out of the 2 TB external drive by a supposedly reliable brand, while I have other near decade old, but far smaller capacity drives still alive and kicking!

Ah well, I guess sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles, as they say. By the way, can anyone recommend the best way to dispose of an external hard drive that cannot be readily erased? In this case, I'm likely dealing with several disks encased in what is now a 2 inch thick brick. I also never liked the fact it had to be plugged in with an AC Adaptor, and I wouldn't doubt it if extra power surges might have severely shortened its life, as it was my only external that I've ever had to use in that fashion!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks