What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I second Dave's advice to drill holes through it, although my favorite method involves an anvil, a sledge hammer and a pair of safety glasses. You tend to work out all the stress and hatred you have towards the failed drive, Office Space style.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I type the following with the full understanding that I'm 99.99% likely grasping at straws:

Currently, my Seagate 2 TB external Hard Drive does display on my Windows device list. In addition, below it's drop list on the left location panel, the usual generated list of files is currently listed. Along with the listed capacity and remaining space, this tells me that there must be something on the drive.

One question that springs to mind is could it be possible that a key file that may have become corrupted, such as System Volume information, be the cause of my inability to access anything else on that hard drive? If this helps, in the weeks before my Seagate inaccessibility issues, upon startup, my PC kept going into disc check mode for this external drive. The couple of times that I tried to allow the disc check to go through (I confess that I did stop it most of the time, at times including when it had already started - perhaps not such a good idea, in hindsight?), it would get stuck at 75% for so long that I ended up stopping the disc check at that point!

PC Display Of Seagate External Hard Drive, Which Has Become Inaccessible!.png

So far, Auslogics has "analyzed" 6 files in 55 minutes. Unfortunately, I am unable to post the screenshot for that one - yet another PC related headache I'm experiencing! :rolleyes:

It's very hard to accept losing your biggest hard drive, especially when replacing it is personally unaffordable (Hard Drives are very expensive in Canada!), so where other sane people tend to throw up their arms in the air and give up the ghost, I'll grasp at the thinnest of straws! :blink:

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Have you tried booting into Linux and checking the drive from there? Just to make sure it's not a Windows thing?

You can put Ubuntu Linux on a thumb drive and boot from it. It's a handy tip for debugging weird hardware issues.
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Thank you very much for those kind tips, Dave. However, I believe that my former Seagate Drive's not being readable from our Samsung Blu-ray Player basically accomplished the same thing that going the Linux route would have.

I say my former Seagate Drive because, as it turned out, it was still just inside my 1 year Staples Replacement Warranty, due to its being concurrent to Seagate's Manufacturer's Warranty, which is 2 years for Hard Drives, as opposed to the usual standard 90 days for anything else. To say I lucked out is putting it mildly. Thank goodness I decided to check the Manufacturer's Warranty terms, and for my tendency to keep such papers! The only thing was, to get another 2 TB External Drive, I had to pay an extra $12, as the Staples Replacement Warranty goes by the amount paid for the Device in cases that the original Model is no longer available (In this case - Freakin' YAY!). In my opinion, it was a small price to pay for the built in 3 year Manufacturer's Warranty that WD extends for their Hard Drives; plus I no longer have to deal with an additional AC Adapter with the ridiculously thin wiring, that was part of the Seagate Brick Size Hard Drive "Experience," so chalk up another one in the win column! :thumbsup:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Did anybody experience a mysterious "Windows 10" upgrade a few days ago?

It was a Microsoft upgrade, had absolutely no control over it, just started up and ran, no "would you like to upgrade, yes/no", took several hours (not a speedy internet connection), but everything is fine.

Or should I be like an odd-ball tin-foil hat wearer, "They're watching everything I do" :cool:

Now I have this odd tool-bar thing at the top of the screen. Can't close it, can't move it. Guess MS tries to continue with its world dominance.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I receive regular Windows 10 updates...but have no tool bar at the top of my desktop.

Are you sure the toolbar is a MS product (and not some invasive download from a 3rd party)?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I receive regular Windows 10 updates...but have no tool bar at the top of my desktop.

Are you sure the toolbar is a MS product (and not some invasive download from a 3rd party)?
I think it is a 3rd party thing. I'm apparently logging in using Google Chromium. Haven't the slightest idea where that came from, I've never used it before.

The toolbar thing has three vertical dots on the far right, which say "customize and control Chromium". But nowhere in the settings is there a way to disable it. There's a check-box for the toolbar, unchecked but it still shows up. I'll keep playing around and maybe get Edge or Firefox to overwrite it.

I can live with it, things are working fine, but I prefer to choose my own settings.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
What did you recently download or perhaps you clicked on something that loaded that weird toolbar. I sure wouldn't just ignore it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I was aware of there being Windows 10 updates coming, but I've yet to receive them. Based on past mixed experience, I'm in no particular hurry, either.

On a different topic, the new 2TB My Passport Ultra External Hard Drive by Western Digital is my first device that specifically indicates Windows 10 compatibility on the packaging. It sure is a lot quieter than my old 2TB Seagate AC corded External Drive!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
What did you recently download or perhaps you clicked on something that loaded that weird toolbar. I sure wouldn't just ignore it.

I suppose it's possible I clicked on something strange. I'm very careful, maybe something got by me. I'll keep trying to fix it, but like I said, everything is working fine. Although just noticed it's "Google Chromium", not the official "Google Chrome", so something weird happened.

Maybe Putin and the Russians are monitoring my every move and if I dare say anything about Trump :P

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There was a big Windows 10 update last week. And my least favorite "feature" of Win10 is that updates are no longer optional: Windows automatically installs them and reboots when the machine is not in use. Which is antithetical for a media machine.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
There was a big Windows 10 update last week. And my least favorite "feature" of Win10 is that updates are no longer optional: Windows automatically installs them and reboots when the machine is not in use. Which is antithetical for a media machine.
That's what my system did, it just "happened". Where the weird Google Chromium thing came from, no idea. Apparently it's an open source code version of regular Google Chrome.

Researched things on how to remove it, but it's really involved. Uninstalled it through Control Panel, but still runs. Need to delete install files, edit the registry, etc. It's not causing any problems so I'm not going to mess anything up, just leave it for now.

May just go to Best Buy or a local computer shop and have the entire thing wiped, fresh start, nothing that important that I'd miss. Never got an install disc, came already setup, so maybe I can buy a boot-able disc and do it myself.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm having a weird and disruptive problem on my PC. The File Explorer windows crash and close, frequently. Arrow-keying through a list of files will consistently crash the file windows. Opening Recycle Bin often crashes it.

I've never seen this before. It just started after the big Windows update.

I'm probably going to do a clean re-install in a couple weeks when I've got a free weekend.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm having a weird and disruptive problem on my PC. The File Explorer windows crash and close, frequently. Arrow-keying through a list of files will consistently crash the file windows. Opening Recycle Bin often crashes it.

I've never seen this before. It just started after the big Windows update.

I'm probably going to do a clean re-install in a couple weeks when I've got a free weekend.
Your unfortunate experience makes me a bit nervous for when it comes my PC's turn to accept the latest Windows 10 update! However, I do hope that perhaps it'll fix my ongoing memory buildup issue with the Firefox Browser? Once it gets over about 1600 MB, that browser becomes non navigable and comes to a complete standstill until I do an End Task, which empties the memory cache. Most annoying!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I updated my laptop with zero issues.
With Windows 10, the updates seem to be very much hit and miss. I've experienced it on both sides to varying degrees, although at least none have amounted to total OS failure. The Firefox Browser memory (RAM) buildup issue seems to come and go with the updates, although lately this niggling issue seems to be present more often than not! I've tried checking the Browser settings to see whether any changes to these might fix it, but to no avail!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some googling shows my experience was seen back even in 2015 with Win 10. But it's not widespread. I'll investigate more when I've got time. There are some possible fixes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks