What's new

Windows 10 News and User discussion (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They are starting today with Enterprise customers but it goes from small to big.
VRG_1060.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
10:25:35 AM PDT

Belfiore is showing off the multiple desktops feature. You can switch between different desktops with multiple apps running in their own separate areas.

10:24:53 AM PDT

There's multiple desktops at the bottom of the interface, and when you launch task view it shows all the apps that are currently open.

10:24:36 AM PDT

This is basically OS X's Expose.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Seems like Xbox One too!
10:45:13 AM PDT

A: Yes.

10:45:11 AM PDT

Q: You mentioned screens ranging from 4 inches to 80 inches. Is Windows 10 the next version of the phone operating system too?

10:43:57 AM PDT

A: This product, when you see the product in your fullness I think you'll agree with us that it's a more appropriate name.

10:43:34 AM PDT

Q: Can you talk about the name? Seems weird going from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Sam Posten said:
This product, when you see the product in your fullness I think you'll agree with us that it's a more appropriate name.
Okay, I hate to focus on relatively unimportant things like a name, but seriously, WTF? Microsoft had to understand that people were going to ask about skipping "9" and this is the answer they came up with?

Okay...I got that out of my system. :D

My first impression is that it looks nice. I don't think I will feel the need to hang on to Windows 7 when it is released.

-Keith

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The decision to integrate the Metro tile functionality into a start menu instead of forcing the user to go to a separate start screen is HUGE for me. One of the major reasons I never upgraded to Windows 8.

Equally important for me is that they found a way to integrate Windows 8 apps into the regular UI.
Unlike Windows 8, what I'm seeing here has the potential to get me to upgrade, down the road.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Sooo, we're hung up over the numbering instead of the content? I don't get why a company is vilified for listening to the market and issuing course corrections to something their customer base didn't like. What am I missing?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Dunno about anyone else, for me it was a head slap at the stupidity and then moving on to what's changed and improved. So far there are a LOT of roll backs but only one significant IMPROVEMENT, and that is copying Apple's implementation of multiple desktops, which took what Unix had been doing and made it usable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ChristopherG said:
Sooo, we're hung up over the numbering instead of the content? I don't get why a company is vilified for listening to the market and issuing course corrections to something their customer base didn't like. What am I missing?
Yeah, I don't get it either! I don't give a rip if they skipped 9 to 10.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Sam Posten said:
Dunno about anyone else, for me it was a head slap at the stupidity and then moving on to what's changed and improved. So far there are a LOT of roll backs but only one significant IMPROVEMENT, and that is copying Apple's implementation of multiple desktops, which took what Unix had been doing and made it usable.
iSmell a lawsuit.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I figured it was because Microsoft knows how good OS X performs and wants their own OS 10. Kind of like how Pontiac turned the Fiero Mera into a Ferrari 308 by adding a body kit.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ChristopherG said:
Because it's weird. So weird, so random, so without explanation. And the perception that the biggest software company in the world can't count on their own fingers is scary funny.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also, because Win10's features are irrelevant, day to day. I just got Win7 at work. I figure Win10 is five years away. At which point MS will have geometrically progressed to Win 134.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
DaveF said:
Because it's weird. So weird, so random, so without explanation. And the perception that the biggest software company in the world can't count on their own fingers is scary funny.
that's just silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks