Windows 10 News and User discussion

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sam Posten, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    OK, I finally tried this a little while ago this morning, right after the disk check nearly kicked in once again!

The good (Or at least, encouraging!) news is with my 2TB external drive plugged into a different USB port, the disk check did NOT kick in.

However, this is where a gets convoluted, at least by my estimation.

I then plugged in my 2.0 rated WD 320 GB drive into the 3.0 USB port to which the 3.0 rated 2 TB drive is normally connected. Knowing that the disk check message was popping up EVERY time over the past 2 weeks with the latter device connected to THIS port, I'd have thought the same thing would occur with the other WD 320 GB external drive.

Only it didn't! This time, the Acer PC Laptop booted up without incident.

Now I'm left wondering whether there could be something going on with the 3.0 USB that's been triggering the disk check that occurs ONLY when a 3.0 rated device is actually attached to that port? Otherwise, why wouldn't it be the same result, regardless of what drive is attached to this?

Any thoughts regarding the above? Frankly, I'm a bit puzzled, at the moment! :unsure:

CHEERS! :)

2. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Unfortunately for me, this issue regarding the 3.0 device triggering the disc check prompt on every reboot hasn't gone anywhere! Why this only occurs with this particular device, but only in the 3.0 USB port, and other 2.0 devices, not at all, is a mystery that I've been unable to unravel. Thus, for the time being, I have given up the ship, and at present, I simply try to remember to leave my 3.0 external drive unplugged until my Laptop is displaying the login screen.

I suspect one possibility might be some sort of underlying issue with the 3.0 USB slot itself. However, unless and until such an issue rears its ugly head, I'm not going to be plugging a 3.0 Hard Drive device into a 2.0 slot just to avoid the annoying disk check prompts! I suppose this is simply something that I'll have to live with, for the moment!

3. Stan

Stan Producer

Haven't been following this thread for a while, still with Win10, almost a year now. I'm adjusting but still don't care for it. Things were so "friendly" in the older systems, just natural to find setting and fix things. Win10 seems to morph on it's own into totally different things, constantly going in to return things to normal, takes 20 steps to find something that used to take three, but at least now I've learned how.

Thank heavens for HTF and Outlook that save things as drafts, at least with their software I can recover lost posts. Sometimes with other sites, I'll write something, brush against the perfect set of keys and it vanishes. Control Z sometimes will recover, but often things just vanish. Really pisses me off when I'm about 90% through a crossword puzzle and poof, it just goes away.

And Tony, what in the heck to you need 2TB of space for? I've got 465 GB on my laptop, of which I'm using 49 GB, so plenty of space. I do a lot of online video, laptop has an HDMI output, so can watch a lot of stuff, but I can't store it, so play it and forget it.

This ages me a bit, but eight years ago, working for a company doing IT stuff, and I purchased a 1TB disk array. I set up everything, spent a ton of money, it was the latest, greatest, everyone was so impressed. Mega bucks like you wouldn't believe. Now they're like buying a loaf of bread :) (probably exaggerating a bit)

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Can't speak for Tony, but my personal computer has 350GB storage used. It's largely photos, music, home videos. But there's also 10+ years of personal files.

My media computer has a 10TB RAID, with 9TB filled. And my TiVo has a 3TB drive, 75% full. It's too easy to fill drive space with content; far easier than having time to enjoy it! :)

5. Stan

Stan Producer

That is amazing. Aging myself here, but back in the late '80s, really not that long ago, ran systems where we had 288 MB (mega, not giga or terabyte) drives. Giant platters with the hardware the size of a washing machine. I look back on them now and you'd think I was 90 years old.

Smaller ones that held 75 MB. Used to run disk to disk backups to keep things safe. Now you could fit that kind of space on a tiny chip. You could download a company's entire system, all data, financial info, etc. and fit it into your wallet.

I seriously wonder what takes up 49 GB on my laptop. I don't do any major downloads, no major software, no movies or TV shows.

We had to be careful in the past to make things as streamlined as possible when designing systems, couldn't afford the space. Now it's nothing, which leads to the sloppy programming we so often see.

6. 626 Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    At this point, I'm actually a bit more concerned about the state of my Laptop's 3.0 USB connector than the 3.0 rated External Hard Drive. Yes, losing the latter would seriously suck, but the prospect of anything failing on the Acer PC Laptop itself is far worse for me, especially as I can't even remotely afford to replace the latter! It also sucks to have to keep remembering to disconnect my External 3.0 Drive from that 3.0 USB connector EVERY time I boot up. Forgetting to do so yesterday caused me to have to start over on the latest Windows 10 update, which I find is another giant PITA in its own right!

I'm thinking what I may end of doing is testing my 3.0 External Hard Drive on my wife's Ace Laptop to see whether or not it triggers a similar Disk Drive check prompt.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Windows 10 itself could account for nearly half of that, Stan.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  8. Stan

Stan Producer

9TB? Wow. I've got Dish Network, with their older style 722 receiver, believe it holds 500GB, but I record everything in HD, so it's a juggling act, constantly cleaning up old stuff, sacrificing things I don't have time for. Probably going to go with their "Hopper" setup, just not quite ready yet. I can record two shows at once while watching a third. I can barely keep up with that, with Hopper you can record 16 things at once.

But what happens later? Just live in a recliner, eating, drinking, let the dogs out occasionally, end up weighing 300 lbs.? Haven't found anything official, but websites are saying "Hopper" stores 2TB. That's a lot of movies :P

By the way, don't work for Dish, but I've been with them for almost ten years, absolutely flawless service. Reading some of those top ten worst companies, they often come out near the top. I don't know why, they've been great with me. Several new receivers when the hard drive croaked (current one is five years old, so the previous 3-4 may have just had flaws that have since been fixed), replacement remotes my dog chewed up, new dish for HD, never charged a penny for any of it.

Constant flyers from Xfinity and DirecTV urging me to switch, but start reading the fine print and no way am I changing.

By the way Mike, thanks for the info on my disk space. Had no idea Windows 10 could take up that much space. But space is cheap now, so no need for companies to worry any longer.

9. 629 Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    For an enthusiast with a homemade RAID, 10 TB is not large. And it's easy: three 5TB WD Red drives from Micro Center, and DrivePool and SnapRaid to make it work in Windows.

Sensible people buy a Synology NAS and toss in a two to four WD 4TB drives for 4 to 12 TB storage with no RAID management work on their part.

A friend has dozens of terabytes of storage for his photography, DVR, media server, and homesecurity camera backups.

Nutball enthusiasts :) have 30TB to 100TB.

Once I've had time to watch my backlog, I'll buy a pair of 6TB drives to take my RAID to 16TB storage with 11TB of parity space.

As for when to watch: slowly. My TiVo has last year's Twilight Zone marathon, we're slowly watching. I've got Supernatural S1-10 recorded, which I watch on travel. And Burn Notice that I'll probably delete since I don't have time for it; though I could move it to my media pc for future viewing.

10. Stan

Stan Producer

There are so many variations of RAID, I forget what I set up most of my systems with. But I had some version of RAID and every server had hot swappable drives, downtime was not allowed.

For home use, not that worried. If my laptop croaks, almost everything is on a "cloud" somewhere, so start up the old Windows 98 PC with its ethernet cable and life continues. Plus, what else can I use to read my old 1.44MB floppies :rolleyes: It stays around as a backup, the only other use might be as a boat anchor :D I doubt it could run Win10, not even going to try. It's actually pretty decent for some older games that won't work under Win10 with newer video/sound drivers. Sometimes works out to keep the oldies around.

11. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I 86'd nearly all of our Floppies a couple of years back. Data transfer was a PITA, but well worth the effort!

The handful of Floppy Disks that remain are of the no longer useful and/or of any interest variety; a good thing as we no longer have Floppy "playback" capabilities. Frankly, I don't miss the ancient things! One USB stick could hold everything that had been stored on our mega collection of 1.44 MB Floppies!

For any outdated programs, I do have Windows XP installed via VMWare, although I hardly ever use it, these days!

12. Stan

Stan Producer

Probably 15+ years ago, but Word, Excel, etc. came on floppies. We had a company license so I'd do installs from a server, but we had a zillion disks, partially as backup to prove we purchased the product legally.

Finally got to the point where I couldn't deal with it. Had a gigantic "floppy" give-away. Gave every staff member who wanted them some instructions on how to reformat the disks and let them take as many as they wanted. No longer my problem :dancing-banana-04:

Did the same thing with PCs and laptops as they aged. Out of sight, out of mind, didn't have to worry about old inventory any longer.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    My RAID is simple: data drives and parity drive(s). Nothing fancy like real-time parity or RAID 0, 1, or 5 configurations. Just data spread over drives in a non-proprietary way. And if one drive fails, I can recover without data loss. So much time goes into configuring the media pc's content, I want some protection against random drive failure.

Personal data on my Mac is backed up locally on two different USB drives and online with BackBlaze. Plus whatever is on iCloud.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Floppies (or Zip disks) I haven't had a drive since 2007. So, going on a decade without those at all. And hadn't used them at all since probably 2002.

Stan likes this.
  15. Stan

Stan Producer

Kind of the same with me. I've got the old putt-putt PC with the floppy drive, but haven't used it in years. The PC works, I couldn't get something to print so sent it to myself, opened it on the PC and printed it.

But the floppy drive, maybe after gathering dust for ten years has possibly croaked :eek:

For some reason, a brand-new (2 1/2 years ago) HP printer that I bought as a package with an HP laptop, would not work with Win10 on my newer laptop. Took me forever to get it to run, had to create fake ports, rename things, pretend it was a different printer than it really was (people said install it as an HP 5500, but naturally that wasn't in the list), etc.

Loads of internet advice, but nobody had a good solution, so just by playing around, taking advice from all the different posters was able to use step #1 from guy #2, then step #8 from guy #6, etc. and finally get things running. HP's website was naturally no help at all.

And then Win10, in it's wonderful glory, completely zapped the printer out of existence a year ago so had to dig up all these band-aid steps to get it to run again.

It's not even three years old, a decent, mainstream printer, not some ancient thing from the '80s. Just one more check-mark in the "I hate Windows 10" column. My old 2001 PC with Windows 98, plugged in the printer, a few mouse clicks later and it was installed, working fine.

Powered off my laptop for the first time in many months. Never realized it, but I guess I just let it run, go to sleep mode, recharge the battery, etc., but haven't done a full power-down for a long time. Well it took about four hours of downloading/installing/rebooting etc. for a load of updates. Just waiting for whatever time-bombs will be going off now.

16. Stan

Stan Producer

Anybody know how to get e-mails to go to the Outlook in-box, instead of junkmail?

Most stuff is fine, I'm glad they filter things and dump the garbage. But a few things always go to junkmail. I have to go in and pick individual messages to say they're safe. I've got a few companies I deal with where everything gets flagged as junk and I can't turn it off.

Don't want to open things up to be bombarded with spam, but it would be nice to not have to search through the junkmail folder looking for something I'm expecting.

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I bought myself a new Alienware computer at Black Friday, and then asked for some component upgrades for Christmas. So the computer itself is sitting in the box until tomorrow evening when I can add the new bells and whistles while it's fresh.

It'll be the first computer I own that has Windows 10. I kept Windows 7 on my current computer (from which I'm typing this post) because Windows 10 did away with Windows Media Center support and I use it as my DVR.

I do use Windows 10 on the computers at my second job.

If it's an HP printer, it's probably a driver issue. The printers at my second job are all HP, and only in the last few months has HP come out with reliable Windows 10 printer drivers. Before those, I was having to reinstall the printers on the Windows 10 machines every couple of weeks.

Stan likes this.
  18. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I was never able to wirelessly connect our WiFi capable HP printer to our Acer PC Laptops, and that's when we were both on Windows 8. Kept trying different things for a few weeks before I finally gave up the ghost! Whenever we need to print something off, out comes the USB printer cable! :rolleyes:

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Up and running on the new computer; so far so good. I plugged in all of my components, powered it up, answered the handful of Windows 10 first time setup questions and I was off and running. It's amazing how much more responsive it is than my previous machine; no more sluggishness when a full page flash ad starts playing. Also amazing how much quieter it is than my last computer. Right now I'm just using the 500 GB SSD that it came with, but I've got a 6 TB SATA HDD for storage that I'm going to install tomorrow.

I moved the old computer into the living room to continue using as a DVR, with my HDTV as the only monitor. Still a few kinks to work out on that end, but overall I'm very happy.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I've found Win10 stable and simple on my HTPC. It's not perfect, but it's really good.

If you have any interest in media uses, look at Emby and Plex. They've been working on their DVR capabilities, now that 7MC is no longer sucking the oxygen out of the room.