Windows 10 News and User discussion

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Sam Posten, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Lead Actor

Good to know. Even though the DVR computer isn't in the computer room anymore, I left the coaxial and HDMI cables in place in case I want to make a change down the road.

My current bottleneck with the new computer is the storage drive. As it turns out, doing a full format on a 6 TB harddisk takes a really long time. After 45 minutes, it's only 10 percent done.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Why are you formatting your DVR drive?

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Lead Actor

Two computers:
    The old one (moved to living room) is continuing on as a DVR. The HDTV is the only monitor at this point. Using a WMC remote to navigate, with a wireless mouse as a backup. The HDDs in that remain as before.

The new one (in computer room) has the 6 TB harddrive that was being formatted. The problem I'm having now is that it makes a loud click every 5 seconds or so, even when idle. I'm not sure if it's a defect with this specific drive, or if it's a design feature with the HDD that doesn't bother others.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Clicking is a bad sound for hard drives, in my experience. If that drive has data not backed up I would stop immediately, power down, and check with the manufacturer about its behavior before proceeding.

If the clicking is during the formatting process, I'm not sure. I haven't formatted a drive where I'd hear its behavior in a long time.

Adam Lenhardt and Stan like this.
  5. Stan

Stan Producer

Good advice, but after the hours and hours I spent faking ports, renaming them, inventing fake printer names, choosing many mis-matching drivers (the ones recommended weren't even listed), and finally getting it to work, I'm not going to risk trusting a Win 10 driver. Seriously, the printer is only three years old, bought with an HP laptop running Windows 8?, I'm guessing, but physical damage to the laptop, had to buy a new one. But as a backup, the old PC, Windows 98 worked fine (the driver didn't even exist at that time, but it found it), Win 10, mega headache.

They've got a long way to go before I'll trust it. Even now, mysterious things just "happen". Screensaver, opening screen (I now get this screen with different photos I never chose), the way of entering the password (some app has been installed so I can register my password online. Not sure of the details, only clicked on it once and cancelled). It's like Win 10 is totally in control, just follow along and make sure you cooperate. <_<

6. Stan

Stan Producer

Yep, did IT work for about 25 years, not a good sign.

Think I told this story years ago, but a hard drive was failing in very high end graphic publishing system. I could hear this extremely high whining noise but nobody else did. With the echoes, cubicles, etc. it took me a few days to find it. The people right next to it couldn't hear it.

And several days it croaked. Maybe the disc was fine, just a motor/spindle issue, but it was so strange nobody else heard it but it drove me crazy. Although I was fanatical about backups, told everybody if they didn't keep things on network drives, tough luck if something happens. They weren't backing up and lost a lot (very painful lesson) and at that time data recovery wasn't really an option.

I'm amazed a drive is clicking and still running, but I would not trust it. Sounds like the data is backed up, so time for some new hardware then reload the data.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Lead Actor

I posted an inquiry about it on Western Digital's support forum. I'm giving them until COB Tuesday to reply. If I don't hear by then, I'm going to return the drive and exchange it for a different model.

There are two reasons I think it might be a design feature instead of a failure: 1) I ran the diagnostic test in the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics software, and everything came back as a pass with no bad sectors; 2) It's an NAS drive designed for 24/7 use in servers, so I'm thinking it might not be designed to go into standby like desktop drives are. But there seem to be a lot of similar complaints about several different WD drives on the WDC forums, so I'm thinking it's a wider spread issue with the current generation of WD hard drives.

Either way, I haven't copied anything to it since I noticed the problem; I'm using a high capacity USB stick as my storage drive until I can get things sorted out -- either with a fix, or with a replacement. The new tower only has the one 3.5 inch slot, but two additional 2.5 inch slots (aside from the one occupied by the SSD that the OS is installed on). So I'm thinking if I do have to replace it, I'll go with a 2 TB laptop drive instead of another 3.5 inch drive. A big step down in space (2 TB versus 6 TB) and speed (5400 RPM versus 7200 RPM), but in my experience the laptop HDDs tend to be quieter and it'd meet my needs for the next few years. The 2 TB drives in the HTPC are both 5400 RPM, and I've tolerated them fine. By the time I'd run out of space, hopefully, there will be a drive on the market that is exactly what I'm looking for.

I don't blame you one bit. Like the old saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if it ever stops working on you again down the road, I'd give the Win10 drivers a shot.

I think that's part of my problem. My old PC (now the DVR/HTPC) is so loud generally that any harddisk sounds just fade into the mix. The new Alienware PC is so silent that the HDD is the ONLY thing on it I hear. And the normal seeking/writing noise that HDDs make is far preferable to a loud singular click like clockwork every 4-5 seconds.

8. Stan

Stan Producer

Semi-related, but my laptop hard drive makes no noise. I've always been a bit paranoid about moving a laptop with the disc spinning, so always wait until the drive light turns off. Just found out last month that there is no "drive operation" light, I was waiting for the "Wi-Fi" to shut down :laugh:

Adam Lenhardt and Tony Bensley like this.
  9. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Well, an improperly functioning WiFi could induce a few different kinds of spinning! :rolling-smiley:

CHEERS! :)

10. Stan

Stan Producer

Thanks Tony, apparently sometimes you should read the "user's manual". :P

11. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Would that be the "user's manual" with the thin and tiny font, or the one with sketchy diagrams that has little or no accompanying text? :P

12. Stan

Stan Producer

I wish. It came with nothing except a tiny little pamphlet, maybe four pages of idiot instructions. Kind of like if your car says "low oil" you fix it. Basically useless. I found out everything else online. Thanks goodness I've done IT work for 20 years. I don't know how a regular "customer" could deal with things.

Thankfully, I have a small core of friends & neighbors who always need a little help, so a few extra $. Have a friend running something, I don't know what version of Windows, but it is the slowest piece of garbage I've ever come across. Filled with useless apps, probably viruses and malware, who knows.She's careful, but things have built up over the past few years. I told her the best solution is to wipe it and start over.

So she's doing backups, printing some things and sometime this year it will be a fresh start. Of course I need to get a Windows 10 startup CD. Mine was pre-installed, so no actual disc to do anything from.

Any help with getting that would be nice :rolleyes:

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Stan likes this.
  14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    The other, better option, is if your friends are running Win 7 or Win 8, and were eligible for the free Win 10 upgrade. In that case, install fresh from original media then upgrade-in-place to 10. That's how I did my PCs.

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Lead Actor

16. Stan

Stan Producer

Thank you. I hope it turns out to be an easy solution, but older people don't care for change and Windows 10 will be a big adjustment. I haven't even checked out her laptop to see if it can handle it. It's painfully slow, but I think that's mostly related to garbage and other junk she unknowingly downloaded

I don't want to do an upgrade, I think things would work out better to just wipe the drive and start over. Upgrades seem to leave bits and pieces of other stuff behind.

Good old Microsoft, forcing us into the future whether we want to participate or not.

Actually the more I think about this, I might bail. She'd be calling me constantly, "Everything I've been doing for the last ten years has changed".

I've really got to stop being so nice :cool:

I don't know how it happened, just gossip I suppose, but all the neighbors suddenly knew I was the "Computer Guru". I stopped participating a few years ago, other than one who has become a really good friend. I tell them to go to Best Buy or wherever it is with the guys in the blue shirts.

One situation was in the early satellite TV days (late '90s with the ten foot dishes), where you had to have some kind of key card to get it to run. A neighbor had some problems, he was selling cards to other people and wanted me to fix his little gizmo scheme. I'm a good guy and said no.

A tad bit off topic, but hey, I'm an elder here by now :blink:

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Isn't this the new Microsoft? Old MS let people run old operating systems and old applications for years and years with ongoing patches.

It's the new MS thats behaving more like Apple and forcing people to upgrade and apply updates to their OS and so forth. :)

18. Stan

Stan Producer

I suppose it could be the new MS. Having close to 0% experience with Apple, other than running one machine to verify our web pages worked.

But the endless patches, SPs, upgrades, etc. are so annoying. It's like they don't even test things anymore, just set them loose on the public and let us find the flaws.

"Why Beta Test, the users will do it for us."

Even if there aren't flaws, we're sucked into the MS "system". Just turning on your laptop and behind the scenes all kinds of things are happening, upgrades, little patches here and there. Who runs my computer?

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Lead Actor

After getting no response from Western Digital, I ended up returning the 6 TB 7200 RPM harddrive that was making the clicking sound and ordering a Seagate 2 TB 5400 PRM harddrive designed for laptops.

I formatted it tonight, and I'm copying files over to it now. The thing is completely silent. And the downgrade in speed thus far has not been a problem.

20. 660 Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Lately, when I boot up my Windows 10, my name and dialogue box doesn't display on the login screen. Sometimes, I actually have to slam my mouse down to get it to display, as bizarre as that sounds!

Can anybody explain to me what might be causing this huge PITA of an issue, or is this just something that some Windows 10 users are stuck with? I've NEVER had this problem with any OTHER Operating System that I've ever used!

And yes, this is set up for password entry, which makes this a real b*tch, as I'm unable to login to Windows 10, remaining stuck on a non displayed login welcome screen while I try banging random keys (Which usually just induces sleep mode!) to hopefully make the necessary login text field display. Waiting it out for a few minutes sometimes helps, but I usually lack the patience for this!

CHEERS! :)