What's new

Windows 10 21H1 Update rollout issues (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well it's that time again. When checking Windows 10 Update, I got news that 21H1 is now available for me.

The next version of Windows is available with new features and security improvements. When you're ready for the update, select "Download and install."

This update doesn't appear to do much. Maybe I'll wait.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wait for the new BSOD
1621418714002.png
:D!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I got bored this afternoon so I hit the "download and install" button.

The update to 21H1 took only about 5 minutes end to end. No issues. I always check Device Manager after any updates to see if any drivers got hosed, but no problems. For me this update was a non issue.

There apparently are some performance and security enhancements which of course are not very visible to the average user.

Jason Goodmanson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
21H1 was the first Update I have ever had an issue with. It seemed like it went through just fine, but then the Restart/Shutdown and Update option never went away. And Troubleshooter said no issues.

I lost track at how many restarts I did to no avail.

When checking Windows Update it would just spin.

But then . . .

After about 10 minutes, Windows Update said no updates available and the Restart/Shutdown and Update messaging went away.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It still puzzles me about the basis MS has for scheduling the "invites" to update. My old desktop with an i5 Ivy Bridge (3rd gen) got the invite early, on 19 May. But my old laptop with an i5 Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) still hasn't received an "invite". And yet Ivy Bridge is just a die shrink of Sandy Bridge.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
OK I got the invite on my laptop today. Download and install went smoothly.

I'm still trying to figure out why so many people have such difficulty with Win 10 updates while I never do. Is it because I have vanilla Dell computers, and perhaps they make up their own PCs with randomly selected individual parts?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
All kidding aside, I've actually started getting this Blue screen (Sans, the humorous bit, obviously!) within the last few days! Is it possible the latest update may have caused this? :(
Did you check your version number to see which version you have?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
All kidding aside, I've actually started getting this Blue screen (Sans, the humorous bit, obviously!) within the last few days! Is it possible the latest update may have caused this? :(
Did you check your version number to see which version you have?
Weirdly, it says 20H2 installed on 06-14-2020 (OS build 19042.985, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0), even though I just updated it recently (Or, so I thought!), and it was SUPPOSED TO BE to the 21H1! :wacko:

Perhaps, something in the update failed unbeknownst to me, and this has led to some instability issues? I mean, the version number normally SHOULD HAVE changed, correct?

CHEERS! :)

UPDATE: For instance, I just noticed this Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H1 prompt in my windows update AFTER having already done the download and install! What the hell is going on with this? :wacko:

Screenshot 2021-05-29 094721.png

One thing I'm noticing now is the installation hasn't budged from 0% even though I started several minutes ago, so I suspect SOMETHING might be messed up!

OK, despite initial hiccups and freezing, the latest 21H1 update attempt appears to have been successful, although I could have sworn having already gone this route! Hopefully, this Windows 10 version update doesn't end up rolling back, or whatever the hell happened previously?

Screenshot 2021-05-29 101838.png

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Sometimes the "settings-system-about" statement does not gybe with the "settings-update-update history" statement. IIUC the system-about is the true reading whereas the update-update history entries give insight into where the files in the update came from. Apparently MS downloads most of the major update files well ahead of time during monthly updates.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sometimes the "settings-system-about" statement does not gybe with the "settings-update-update history" statement. IIUC the system-about is the true reading whereas the update-update history entries give insight into where the files in the update came from. Apparently MS downloads most of the major update files well ahead of time during monthly updates.
I've been averaging a BSOD a day for about a week now, even after my 21H1 update was successfully implemented. However, after my most recent BSOD yesterday, I did notice there was a Driver Update that I hadn't downloaded. Having downloaded the update, I'm hopeful that eliminates the BSOD issue! Things do seem to be running more smoothly, at the moment, at least.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've been averaging a BSOD a day for about a week now, even after my 21H1 update was successfully implemented. However, after my most recent BSOD yesterday, I did notice there was a Driver Update that I hadn't downloaded. Having downloaded the update, I'm hopeful that eliminates the BSOD issue! Things do seem to be running more smoothly, at the moment, at least.

Beyond possible impending failure of my SSD, I'm pretty much at my wits end as to what is causing these daily crashes! :(

No matter what I do, I either get a BSOD or a Freeze and subsequent crash once per day (Not two or more times a day. ALWAYS once!), every day. Yesterday and today, a crash just happened randomly when I wasn't even near my keyboard; with yesterday's crash being a BSOD that occurred while I was listening to the latest "Silent Comedy Watch Party" (On YouTube) opening banter as I was hurriedly finishing up the dishes so that I could view the first of the 3 silent shorts scheduled! Today's crash also happened while I was out of the room. By the time I got back, my PC had already crashed and restarted, so I don't know if it was a displayed BSOD or a random freeze.

SHEESH! :(

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Beyond possible impending failure of my SSD, I'm pretty much at my wits end as to what is causing these daily crashes! :(

No matter what I do, I either get a BSOD or a Freeze and subsequent crash once per day (Not two or more times a day. ALWAYS once!), every day. Yesterday and today, a crash just happened randomly when I wasn't even near my keyboard; with yesterday's crash being a BSOD that occurred while I was listening to the latest "Silent Comedy Watch Party" (On YouTube) opening banter as I was hurriedly finishing up the dishes so that I could view the first of the 3 silent shorts scheduled! Today's crash also happened while I was out of the room. By the time I got back, my PC had already crashed and restarted, so I don't know if it was a displayed BSOD or a random freeze.

SHEESH! :(
This could mean nothing, but yesterday, for the first time in at least 2 weeks, my PC Laptop didn't experience a BSOD or freeze induced crash. This also coincided with the end of my 14 day free Malwarebytes Premium trial, which makes me wonder if this peripherally might have had something to do with my crashes, though I know that it shouldn't have!

Edwin-S

Premium
The inability to turn Windows updates off in WIN10 is a major PITA. MS's windows updates can play holy hell with certain automation software that the company I work for uses.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The inability to turn Windows updates off in WIN10 is a major PITA. MS's windows updates can play holy hell with certain automation software that the company I work for uses.
You can turn them off, if you tell Windows that you're on a metered connection. That makes them a manual update

Unfortunately, that turns off *all* updates, including especially security system updates.

But I've got updates turned off because Win10's frequent need to update and reboot makes an HTPC unreliable and unusable when least expected.

Edwin-S

Premium
You can turn them off, if you tell Windows that you're on a metered connection. That makes them a manual update

Unfortunately, that turns off *all* updates, including especially security system updates.

But I've got updates turned off because Win10's frequent need to update and reboot makes an HTPC unreliable and unusable when least expected.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I'll try that. I don't like the idea of turning Windows updates off; however, their updates can lead to breaking stuff in HMIs because the automation software lags behind MS's updates.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This article has 3 other methods with Group Policy or editing the registry being the best. If you're running at least Win10 Pro you'll have Group Policy editor available (it's not in Home at all).

Another option is to open "Services," look for "WIndows Update" and set it to "disabled." That, however, prevents manually running updates unless it's re-enabled.

Even though Group Policy editor isn't included with Windows 10 Home you *can* install it:

I generally go the "edit the registry" methods direction in Home editions rather than add tools that're normally not included in the distribution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexisMori
Recent bookmarks