What's new

Can’t Install Windows 10 on the Mrs. Acer PC Laptop (HELP!!!!): (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I will attempt to put things as simply as possible by expressing my situation and frustration in current situation terms.

Her PC very badly needs a new hard drive as her current 750 GB HDD has been at 0% caution stage for going on 3 years, now.

I do have a 480 GB Somambulist SSD that I’ve been trying to install most of this afternoon, sadly without success. The long and the short of it is I made the mistake of changing an Acer bios setting to enable booting. Apparently, that means any drive has to be bootable.

Twice afterward, I was able to somehow get the initial Windows 10 setup on my USB set up stick working and reading in my BIOS (Sometimes, it displays in the Acer BIOS, but most of the time, it doesn’t! The first time, the process got stopped by a lovely “Must be GPT format for Windows 10 to install” message. After doing this successfully, at the partition display part, I get a lovely message explaining that the two partitions aren’t in the recommended order. Do you wish to continue, anyway? So, I foolishly go back into Disk Management to try and fix things, and now I can’t get the damn 480 GB SSD or Windows 10 USB stick to display on my wife’s PC BIOS at all! I’ve completely lost count of the number of times I’ve swapped the old and almost useless 750GB HDD and new 480 GB SSD, and I’m tired and frustrated!

I’m sorry if some of this doesn’t make much sense! I'll try and attach some helpful screenshots later. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

:) CHEERS! :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I will attempt to put things as simply as possible by expressing my situation and frustration in current situation terms.

Her PC very badly needs a new hard drive as her current 750 GB HDD has been at 0% caution stage for going on 3 years, now.

I do have a 480 GB Somambulist SSD that I’ve been trying to install most of this afternoon, sadly without success. The long and the short of it is I made the mistake of changing an Acer bios setting to enable booting. Apparently, that means any drive has to be bootable.

Twice afterward, I was able to somehow get the initial Windows 10 setup on my USB set up stick working and reading in my BIOS (Sometimes, it displays in the Acer BIOS, but most of the time, it doesn’t! The first time, the process got stopped by a lovely “Must be GPT format for Windows 10 to install” message. After doing this successfully, at the partition display part, I get a lovely message explaining that the two partitions aren’t in the recommended order. Do you wish to continue, anyway? So, I foolishly go back into Disk Management to try and fix things, and now I can’t get the damn 480 GB SSD or Windows 10 USB stick to display on my wife’s PC BIOS at all! I’ve completely lost count of the number of times I’ve swapped the old and almost useless 750GB HDD and new 480 GB SSD, and I’m tired and frustrated!

I’m sorry if some of this doesn’t make much sense! I'll try and attach some helpful screenshots later. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

:) CHEERS! :)
Are you able to go into the BIOS to change the USB to be the primary boot drive?

You can change it once you get Windozw installed. Try powering off and disconnecting both drive cables. and them power off and plug the drive you intend to install Windows on. After that plug in the data drive.

Good luck!
classic tv television GIF by TV Land Classic
!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Are you able to go into the BIOS to change the USB to be the primary boot drive?

You can change it once you get Windozw installed. Try powering off and disconnecting both drive cables. and them power off and plug the drive you intend to install Windows on. After that plug in the data drive.

Good luck!
classic tv television GIF by TV Land Classic
!
I just figured out that F2 gets me into BIOS. I changed the boot menus order to USB FDD ahead of Windows Boot Manager. Hope this helps!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just figured out that F2 gets me into BIOS. I changed the boot menus order to USB FDD ahead of Windows Boot Manager. Hope this helps!
I actually have Windows 10 installing on the Mrs. Acer PC Laptop, now! It turns out the biggest issue is my one Windows 10 Recovery loaded thumb drive (Which I used for a new installation on my Acer PC just a couple of weeks ago!) is now failing! Thankfully, I had another, somewhat less up to date Windows 10 Recovery Thumb Drive at the ready! PHEW!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks