What's new

Who is going to win the Format War and why? (1 Viewer)

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
NIls - your tone is always attacking and personal - please consider moderating it, along with your assertions of dishonesty.

I have no problem answering your challenges, just try it without all the unecessary personal fluff.
To each their own. This $500 has been a great investment which I'll enjoy until BD sorts those issues out. When your year is up, I can look at my next move :)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
For complete disclosure on the findings Rob posted above, the measurements taken above were using thes units "as an SD DVD player" and did not consist of HD media tests. This of course is not to say that they should be completely dismissed as invalid points.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Presenting things as facts, when they are proven not to be facts at all, but mere speculation, theory, or just plain ugly FUD is in fact being dishonest. Furthermore it was not a personal attack, unless you feel that anyone that points out that your facts are not actual facts is a personal attack on you.

Stop spreading false information and you'll find that here on HTF we are a very friendly group, and open to those with differing points of view.

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
That thread has plenty of commentary on the HD material playback as well, it would just have taken too much space to post everything.

It all corroborates my statement that the Toshiba is a superior player to the Samsung.

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that you will review your above statement objectively, periodically.

I am not spreading false information - and you consistently attack posters rather than the information.

Cheers.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

While I'm not getting into the content after the "-", I have to say that you do spread false information as accurate.

The problem is that you reference posts/threads/opinions from other posters on the AVS forum as true and accurate. Message board posts don't constitute truth or accuracy. The person on the other side of the keyboard could be completely full of it. I could tell you I'm the plant manager for a replication facility, and that HD-DVD has a 10% yield, but I'd be lieing, and so could they.

It's best to reference message board posts as speculation, as there's really nothing to back them up.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

No disagreement here. Based on sspears results the Toshiba is the better player when watching SD DVD. I just wanted to save myself the time of reading 3-4 posts agruing over the test mainly being SD. Just call me lazy. :D

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
FWIW Rob_HD, I have no stake in either format, nor do I care which one wins, as long as whatever one wins has full studio support from all majors and looks awesome. They can call it SuperMegaAwesome Discs for all I care.

That said, your posts frequently make me feel like not trying HD-DVD.

You should try selling HD-DVD by talking up its good points rather than taking shots at the other format with disinformation and hearsay.

Just my opinion.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Am I the only one who eagerly awaits to see what format the INDIE labels will be supporting? Personally, labels like Anchor Bay, Criterion, Synapse, Blue Underground, etc., have a lot more interesting titles than many of the "majors" and I'd love to see their stuff in HD.

Vincent

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

indies are much more likely to be out on HD DVD for several reasons.
much less overhead in terms of actual production, and much less restrictions on content (as per Don May Jr of Synapse).
Even if there are outside houses to do the authoring/encoding of the Bds, the costs of replication are going to continue to be more as the only thing keeping them down now is Sony subsidizing them.
Given the less than stellar reveiws of the launch efforts and the high mark up on the players, adoption will likely lag far behind as well which will continue to keep manufacturing costs high(er).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Yes, in general that is true and certainly a good perspective to have.

However, there are those situations when one has been at a board for a while and has learned whether someone is reliable or not, or clearly has a bias, or not.

For example, there are certain regular posters here at HTF that (if you spend a decent amount of time here), you know they are knowledgable and legit posters. You can take what they say as pretty definitive info.

The same goes for any forum. But the reliability of any one poster is really only going to be evident to those who spend time at the forum and know that particular person's history.

I'm not really speaking to any specific piece of info here, I just wanted to point out that any forum can have their their very own David Boulet, Robbert Harris, etc... And at AVS, you know sspears is an authority on DVD player performance, Cjpay is a compressionist for WB, etc...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Criterion took a full year after DVDs initial debut before they released a title on the format and I have a feeling it might be a bit longer than that for HD. The problem with Indie releases is money. These titles don't sell in high volumes even on standard DVD so the studios are going to want to put their product out to the largest potential market. Is that HD-DVD or BD, who knows?

I would suspect thats its also more than likely cost prohibitive at this time to release smaller titles across both platforms. This is especially true since BD has yet to provide the necessary tools to encode discs using VC-1.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
It seems to me, though, that some of these indie labels might find themselves tapping into something of a goldmine here- yes, the market for HD-DVD and Blu-ray is still small, but so is the available CONTENT- I'd wager that owners of either format would be willing to buy just about anything that's available to them to show off their new toys. Don May told me that he actually used to sell more units back in the LD days with Elite largely due to this- it was a niche, collector-driven format and folks would buy just about anything to show off their systems. I'd guess that some really good looking indie titles in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray would sell really well for their respective companies, precisely because the market is so starved for content in both formats right now. Speaking of Synapse specifically, the HD transfers (all 1080P) of films like LEMORA, STREET TRASH, and LONG WEEKEND that Don did are stunning. They'd look friggin' amazing in one of these HD formats and probably sell really well because of that if nothing else.

Vincent

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your opinion Andrew - it is noted.

Some would rather that nothing negative ever be said about one format or another on the forum. But unfortunately, discussing the good and only the good (or sometimes only the hype) is not a very realistic way to determine the real situation.

If I am to be targeted for linking information which is useful to everyone's decisions, simply because some of it is not "palatable" then so be it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What's he saying is that your comments have given some members the perception that you have a definite agenda to downgrade the other format. That perception might be right or wrong depending on the person reading your comments. Either way, he makes some good points which are definitely not pertaining to just your posts alone, but many posts made by other members could also be taken as such. It really makes it difficult for those of us that are format neutral because it really doesn't service us well.

Crawdaddy

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
More reasons why Blu-Ray will win: (from Amazon)
The Terminator: $11.99
The Fifth Element: $19.99
Terminator 2: $20.99
Underworld Evolution: $26.99
XXX: $19.99
HOFD: $19.99
Hitch: $19.99
50 First Dates: $19.99
A Knight's Tale: $19.99
The Punisher: $20.99

Movies might not all be top rate, but the media is coming...

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

I'd be more than happy to fork over obscene amounts of money to Synapse, Blue Underground, Criterion, and Anchor Bay as soon as they have their first HD releases ready.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I don't know when that will happen, though. So far the places that are able to handle HD DVD are limited (though not so limited as BD, which relies at the moment entirely on Sony), and they're understandably interested in serving Warner and Universal first. I hope that will change soon, but indies don't seem to be in the picture just yet.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Right. Goldhil's Chronos has still yet to materialize, and Magnolia Home Entertainment's titles are nowhere to be seen. BCI reports that at least two of their August releases -- Night of the Werewolf and Vengeance of the Zombies -- are "on hold". HDNet has four HD DVDs available for pre-order on their site, but there's no release date attached.

That just leaves Concert Hot Spot's titles as the only indie releases on the immediate horizon, and I personally wasn't bowled over by the quality of their first release.

Oh well. Even if they're months off or even a year or two away, some of these smaller labels can count on my support whenever they have a chance to dive in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks