What's new

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
So as this movie is crying out for a remake Tom Ligon can now play Ben Rumson.

Attachments

• ton ligon.jpg
    ton ligon.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A 4K/UHD of a film musical bearing a credit for Fred Hynes as its “Stereophonic Re-recording Supervisor” and, interestingly, Loyal Griggs for “2nd Unit Photography” ain’t altogether a chop-liver project. Sure, Paint Your Wagon has its moments of quirks and flaws, but “who gives a damn”, it’s a great fun film.

I’ve been sampling segments of this newly arrived disc of Paint Your Wagon and, hey, it looks and sounds pretty fantastic and is light years in improvements from my DVD. It’ll be my weekend film to watch, for sure.

Kudos to KL.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
What about the conductor Nelson Riddle and Roger Wagner the famous choral director? Both made stunning contributions to the film.

The film is such an enormous achievement the kind of which we will never see again it seems churlish to make any complaints about it. Unless you're into superhero, action and dear god science fiction spectacles. Maybe just maybe the movie audience will get over their rabid hunger for Saturday morning matinee fodder. But I'm not counting on it. It's been going on for half a century.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just received this title on 4K bluray a few days ago and is also the first time owning this title. Also once I view this title it will be my first viewing of this film ever. I just really enjoy Clint Eastwood so it was a blind purchase.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I hope you have a good sound system to put the soundtrack through.
I'm not saying they are mutually exclusive but if you are a big Eastwood fan do you.like musicals?
I'm going to be flamed for this one.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I had a quick look at just the Blu-ray (testing my multi-region player), & it makes the DVD & TV broadcast versions look downright soft, when I view it it'll be the 4K. No Name City falling apart would be all CGI now, but I do love the practical effects on older films.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
At the end of the 60s critics were complaining about the cost of these big musicals. Never mind the people they were giving jobs to. With all the misery in the world what a waste of money. They wanted low budget American new wave films which were about 10 years late in any case compared to the European ones.
The collapse of No Name City was pointed out as an example of this let alone the entire production of Hello, Dolly!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just received this title on 4K bluray a few days ago and is also the first time owning this title. Also once I view this title it will be my first viewing of this film ever. I just really enjoy Clint Eastwood so it was a blind purchase.

I hope you have a good sound system to put the soundtrack through.
I'm not saying they are mutually exclusive but if you are a big Eastwood fan do you.like musicals?
I'm going to be flamed for this one.
Have a look at Dave's system over on the home theatre projects page. Having a good system isn't really an issue.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
What about the conductor Nelson Riddle and Roger Wagner the famous choral director? Both made stunning contributions to the film.

The film is such an enormous achievement the kind of which we will never see again it seems churlish to make any complaints about it. Unless you're into superhero, action and dear god science fiction spectacles. Maybe just maybe the movie audience will get over their rabid hunger for Saturday morning matinee fodder. But I'm not counting on it. It's been going on for half a century.
Seriously? You think those of us who don't care or even like this movie are all 'superhero, action and dear god science fiction spectacle aficionados? Again, seriously?

I've got news for you. I'm a huge musical theater fan. I graduated from the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts in NYC and I do not like this film. The musical yes, this misguided film adaptation: NO.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
While I've watched this spectacular 4K disc five times already because I feel the opposite! To me the stage bound operetta on which it is based is excruciating to sit through. The movie brings to life a mythic part of America only its gorgeous setting art direction, choral work and music can bring to life. Plus, Marvin's plaintiff rendition of Wandering Star is simply the definitive read on those beautiful lyrics.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Barton is great too on the obc so as much as I like Marvin's rendition Barton is just as good. Just very different.

The only way to get that choral work on stage is to do it in concert or at the Met. But putting it on 6 track in a roadshow theater gives it gives it more of a punch, a little of the surreal which I like very much. A bit of the dreamlike which is perfect.

I looked to buy it on Amazon and the price which was steadily 19.99 has gone up to $25.99. Does this mean it is selling better than expected?
Derided in its time but now a beloved classic. Pauline you got it wrong again!

Last edited:

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I just listened to the companion CD to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (film directed by Clint and featuring Johnny Mercer tunes) and I had forgotten that on that album Clint sings "Accentuate the Positive" and does a great job, too, IMO. His daughter also sings a few tunes on that album. It is not a "soundtrack" CD, but more of a companion album Certainly not a voice like Harve Presnell, Gordon MacRae or Howard Keel but endearing to me for whatever reason.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I would like to ask Mr. Harris if he saw PYW on its original roadshow run in blowup 70MM and 6 Track stereo and what he thought of it back then. As I've said at the Warner Cinerama on its 80 ft curved screen and stupendous sound system it was an experience never to be repeated. That men's chorus! I feel lucky to have seen it there. Might have been even better there than at Loew's State 2.

10/16/69
1712765545675.png

2/12/78
70.jpg

Attachments

• pyw.jfif
    512.4 KB · Views: 8

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
My Fair Lady and South Pacific were two other overwhelming experiences in that theater during that special festival. Never to be repeated. When Bali Hai started in the overture I felt like I was pushed to the back of the theater and pinned there.
This theater is why I could never take the Ziegfeld seriously. Well along with the Rivoli and Criterion. But sadly people stopped going to Times Square.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Remember a lot of those critics had most likely seen the original stage production and I believe Wanda Hale had been reviewing movies in NY since the 40s. I remember one critic saying that Agnes DeMille's wonderful choreography had been reduced to stomping in the mud.

Audrey sings surprisingly well in MFL with Marni Nixon just sweetening the high notes a bit.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Remember a lot of those critics had most likely seen the original stage production and I believe Wanda Hale had I believe been reviewing movies in NY since the 40s. I remember one critic saying that Agnes DeMille's wonderful choreography had been reduced to stomping in the mud.

Audrey sings surprisingly well in MFL with Marni Nixon just sweetening the high notes a bit.
I believe Ms. Hepburn's Original vocals have been included in many of the 5 inch disc releases of MFL of the restoration of same by a film historian/restorer whose name escapes me ;) ...

I think had that film been made today, Audrey's vocals would have remained in the film. I believe most of the vocals for Eliza in MFL were provided by Marni Nixon ....

For West Side Story (OG) I believe Ms. Nixon dubbed all of Natalie Woods' singing an 'one note for Rita Moreno..."

It was not common to state that the actor was dubbed. Deborah Kerr did acknowledge Marni dubbed her singing voice The King and I....

I believe Jean Seberg's singing was dubbed by Anita Gordon.

1712813669996.png

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I think the remarkable story of how Anita Gordon came to dub for Seberg has been covered before on HTF. And it comes from Andre Previn's autobio of his years in Hollywood No Minor Chords. I saw him looking for something in the classical dept of HMV on I believe it was W86th. Had I been on the sales staff I would have asked if I could help him as I did with Lauren Bacall when I worked at Tower. I would have very much liked to have talked to him but I became one of those people who thinks people deserve their privacy. When I worked in B Daltons in the building now owned by Jared Kushner Mick Jagger would shop by himself and nobody would bother him. I saw him a few times and once with that supermodel when they were a couple who was very famous but her name escapes me. No security people unless they were hidden somewhere among the book shelves but it did not seem to be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Embrywool
Recent bookmarks