What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
As misguided as I find this adaptation of PYW to be what I do appreciate is the work done by the film's music department. I have no issues with the film's soundtrack (give or take one or two of the 'vocalists') but on the whole, it is a pretty impressive effort. That being said, I do own the soundtrack and the film as well (yes, this new 4K UHD) as I am a huge fan of Ms. Seberg and I tend to be a 'completist' when it comes to owning projects featuring my favorite artists.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ignacio

Agent
Real Name
Ignacio Aguilar
I'm quite pleased with the overall quality of the 4K disc, but I clearly suspect they went a bit too far with the grain removal. The sound is very nice as well.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I do too.
Love Breathless and Bonjour Tristesse.
I even like the glammed up lacquered Ross Hunter look in Airport.

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to ask Mr. Harris if he saw PYW on its original roadshow run in blowup 70MM and 6 Track stereo and what he thought of it back then. As I've said at the Warner Cinerama on its 80 ft curved screen and stupendous sound system it was an experience never to be repeated. That men's chorus! I feel lucky to have seen it there. Might have been even better there than at Loew's State 2. I remember other people even saying how good it was. And I wasn't even going to go on TV it was so terrible as I've said. Something inside me said go. Also I think Lerner wrote some wonderful new lyrics that I love for Wanderin Star because they certainly aren't on the OBC. Of course they could have been cut for the OBC. But I don't remember them in Encores either.

Mud can make you prisoner, and the plains can bake you dry
Snow can burn your eyes, but only people make you cry
Home is made for comin’ from, for dreams of goin’ to
Which with any luck will never come true

I think this was well before people were saying be careful what you wish for.
I was lucky to see the 70mm Roadshow version at the Madison Theatre in Detroit. The main thing I remember is how well the sound engulfed you during a song. But after, the dialog went back to mono.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I find that strange that the dialogue would be in mono. I've never heard of a print like that.
Especially that there is underscoring that should be in stereo.

But then Kino managed to get a roadshow print of TMM where the overture and exit music are in mono when in every roadshow theater where the film would play that music would be in stereo. Clearly anything is possible.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I find that strange that the dialogue would be in mono. I've never heard of a print like that.
Especially that there is underscoring that should be in stereo.

But then Kino managed to get a roadshow print of TMM where the overture and exit music are in mono when in every roadshow theater where the film would play that music would be in stereo. Clearly anything is possible.

What makes TMM even more puzzling is that the Overture and Exit are stereo on the VHS, laser and DVD. What happened between the DVD and the blu? Like you said, anything is possible.

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
What makes TMM even more puzzling is that the Overture and Exit are stereo on the VHS, laser and DVD. What happened between the DVD and the blu? Like you said, anything is possible.
There's been speculation that the Thoroughly Modern Millie stereo tracks for the overture and exit music were destroyed in the 2008 Universal Studios fire. However---why not just use the recordings from the DVD transfer? They sound just fine---why revert to mono for the blu release? It doesn't make sense to me.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
If you saw it in mag in NY you might very well have seen it at Loew's State 2. You would remember I think if you saw it at that Cinerama festival. It was a very special event. The only one of its kind ever in NY. Glad you liked the audio so much. It really is terrific. When it comes down in price on Amazon I'll get it. When the film made its first announcements for ticket sales they were advertising it in 70MM. By the time the film opened that was gone. Oliver! and Funny Girl were only always advertised in Panavision. Yet people say they were presented in blow up. Why they stopped using genuine 70mm at this point I have no idea. Why Lean even allowed it with Dr Zhivago is strange. Also Hawaii. Had it become that expensive when these films already had such huge budgets and were being presented Roadshow? Chitty, Zebra and Star! used it in that season. And in the following fall season only Hello Dolly used it. And in 1970 it had its last gasps with Patton and Airport(the only first run in genuine 70mm film to play at the Hall and boy did the old time Ross Hunter Hollywood glamour look good when everything else in town looked like super 8. And the in the fall Norway. Why oh why did they use Henderson? She wasn't even a TV star at that point.

I've never had TMM on DVD. I should get it just for that music and then change the discs when I watch the film. Are people doing that or they can't be bothered?

An older friend grew up in Detroit. He must have gone to the Madison a lot. I think he said he saw Star! there.

Last edited:

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
If you saw it in mag in NY you might very well have seen it at Loew's State 2. You would remember I think if you saw it at that Cinerama festival. It was a very special event. The only one of its kind ever in NY. Glad you liked the audio so much. It really is terrific. When it comes down in price on Amazon I'll get it. When the film made its first announcements for ticket sales they were advertising it in 70MM. By the time the film opened that was gone. Oliver! and Funny Girl were only always advertised in Panavision. Yet people say they were presented in blow up. Why they stopped using genuine 70mm at this point I have no idea. Why Lean even allowed it with Dr Zhivago is strange. Also Hawaii. Had it become that expensive when these films already had such huge budgets and were being presented Roadshow? Chitty, Zebra and Star! used it in that season. And in the following fall season only Hello Dolly used it. And in 1970 it had its last gasps with Patton and Airport(the only first run in genuine 70mm film to play at the Hall and boy did the old time Ross Hunter Hollywood glamour look good when everything else in town looked like super 8. And the in the fall Norway. Why oh why did they use Henderson? She wasn't even a TV star at that point.

I've never had TMM on DVD. I should get it just for that music and then change the discs when I watch the film. Are people doing that or they can't be bothered?

An older friend grew up in Detroit. He must have gone to the Madison a lot. I think he said he saw Star! there.
Ryan's Daughter also opened in the fall of 1970 in 70mm.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Ah you are right in NY at the Ziegfeld! That I believe though not road show included advance ticket sales though general seating twice a day or 3 times? I'll have to check Cinema Treasures. I know CC posted its advertisement. Another sign of people not wanting to go to Times Square when it should have opened at the Rivoli or Criterion. Though Norway opened at the Cinerama its last roadshow before turning into a mostly exploitation house. I can't tell you how much of a surprise that 70MM festival was. Perhaps you went.

Last edited:

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Ah you are right in NY at the Ziegfeld! That I believe though not road show included advance ticket sales though general seating twice a day or 3 times? I'll have to check Cinema Treasures. I know CC posted its advertisement. Another sign of people not wanting to go to Times Square when it should have opened at the Rivoli or Criterion. Though Norway opened at the Cinerama its last roadshow before turning into a mostly exploitation house. I can't tell you how much of a surprise that 70MM festival was. Perhaps you went.
I didn't go, but I certainly wish I did!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
So could other more appealing stars of the period like Petula Clark and Sally Anne Howes. Henderson on screen was always TV sitcom material even before she became a hit in one. And that beautiful supporting player could have been dubbed which would have been preferable. Henderson was no movie name. The film was sold on its name alone.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I just assumed it played a roadshow in all the major cities.
Goldman FG.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks