What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
So could other more appealing stars of the period like Petula Clark and Sally Anne Howes. Henderson on screen was always TV sitcom material even before she became a hit in one. And that beautiful supporting player could have been dubbed which would have been preferable. Henderson was no movie name. The film was sold on its name alone.

You're entitled to your opinion. But what's done is done. Get over it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Pan-and-scan robbed the films in every way possible.
I never saw PYW in any form until the Blu-ray, but I can imagine that it was totally eviscerated on pan-and-scan transfers. Presently I own not one single P&S copy of anything, although I certainly used to when there was no choice for video consumers. There isn't a 2.35:1 (or 1.85:1) movie that worked well on TV up until the last two decades. The quote you cite was, of course, tongue-in-cheek, because I completely agree with you

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I viewed the 4K last night, & thought it looked stonking! Paramount really did a bang-up with this one, I doubt if it looked this good at the premier.

If you did not see it on the 80ft curved screen at the Cinerama on Broadway in 6 track stereo you have nothing to tell your grandchildren.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Oh my. If he did have grandchildren I don't think they'd give a fig about PYW in 70MM or in pan and scan.
And for the record I was too young to have seen the movie at Loew's 2 in NY. Cecil Beaton in his diaries said he fled at intermission at the premiere. He was appalled.

But I do love Jean as well in Breathless. Just got the 4K on StudioCanal. Hope it's a good transfer.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, no kids, but if I had, I can just imagine sitting down the grandkids & saying: I‘m going to tell you about something amazing that happened in 1969…:)

Poor Jean, she had a very sad & premature end.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
What a beautiful woman and in the right role a good actor. What a fine movie Bonjour Tristesse is.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This from IMDB (so you might want to take it with a pinch of salt):

The role of Elizabeth was offered to Julie Andrews, Faye Dunaway, Mia Farrow, Sally Ann Howes, Shirley MacLaine, Diana Rigg, & Tuesday Weld, all of whom turned it down. Lesley Ann Warren signed on, but had to bow out because she became pregnant, while Kim Novak lobbied for the role and was rejected.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Too bad Andrews didn't take it-pace Dark Vader-she would have been very interesting with Marvin and Eastwood and would have been great. But then she was working on that unwatchable movie that almost ended her career and she was suddenly box office poison. The Village Voice drama critic said divorce was the answer to Andrews career problems. Well at least we were fortunate enough to get Seberg.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale