What's new

Who is going to win the Format War and why? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
"Buzz" is shorthand for "consensus", and the consensus is that BD picture quality is inferior. Steve is HARDLY the only person with both players.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
And even if that were the case, which I most definitely am not suggesting it isn't, it not only doesn't explain why his "data" has never even been confirmed by any Toshiba rep, but without any official confirmation from Toshiba we must consider the source, and the possible motives they might have when supplying “information”.

Precisely!

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Actually, the concensus is that Sony has released some pretty crappy disks so far, not that BD is inherently inferior.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
So we have at least one trusted source with actual proof they have both players saying there is no deference in PQ.

Please provide the other trusted sources that have proof of owning both players that suggest that Steve is wrong and that BD PQ is inferior.

Without it, then your consensus is mere speculation and again misleading.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Bill Hunt? Peter Bracke? The fact that their thoughts so closely reflect the majority of the impressions I've read does seem to point in a particular direction. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's so, of course.

I haven't seen anyone claiming that Blu-ray is inherently inferior in quality, though -- just that Samsung's player is lousy (which even many ardent Blu-ray supporters were expecting) and that the launch titles are compromised (Sony's in terms of video quality; Lionsgate's in terms of dropping extras). Many of the critical write-ups I've read about Blu-ray's launch are hopeful for the future.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Nils,

I suggest reading Bill Hunt's latest article. In addition, there are many, many reports on AVS from people who did comparisons with both players....and, at this point, based on the CURRENT releases, the evidence is overwhelming that the HD DVD releases (as a group) do look better.

I know you greatly prefer Blu-ray, but I think you need to put aside personal biases and look at the evidence.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I have had just about enough of your nonsense! STOP putting words in my mouth!!!!!!!!!!! If you even bothered to look above I agreed precisely... you just twist reality to suit your agenda and its pissing me off. Your comments have been incredibly misleading and disingenuous to the purpose of these discussions.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I sure hope those who accused Bill Hunt of being a BD cheerleader when he reported on HD-DVD's shortcomings apologize now that he has shown he is being fair in his assessments of both formats.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
EricRWen, you are aware that Nils never said:
If you have verifiable sales figures, then your numbers will be used a facts. It only strengthens your reasoning and it helps us understand where you are coming from. It also gives you creditability!!!

Lesson learned today:
If you say something that is verifiable, people will listen.
example:
Nils: "RobertR... STOP putting words in my mouth!"
RobertR: "Nils will probably declare all those people at AVS "untrustworthy" (according to him)"

Yep, I can see exactly where Nils is coming from!!! And I have to give the creditability to Nils because he verified his comment...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow! What a gong show! Toshiba and Sony have completely f...ed up the introduction of a disc based High Def format; however, enthusiasts are attacking each other instead of going after the two players who are most responsible for the fiasco that is presently unfolding with these formats. It is just brutal to watch the devolution of the discussion as it pertains to both formats; however, in some morbid way, a person can't stop reading. It is like watching a car crash. You want to look away but you keep watching to see how bad it will turn out, due to a morbid sense of curiosity.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Hey, if Nils does consider lots of people (who happen to disagree with Steve Simon) at AVS trustworthy, I'll congratulate him. :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I wouldn't try to lump Sony's issues in with Toshiba. I'm not sure I agree about Toshiba "f...ed up" since the firmware has fixed the freezing issues and the image quality is top-notch....better than the BD25 MPEG2 releases as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks