What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
55244_1_front.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
1.) How'd ya get one early?

2.) How'd it look?

3.) What did you think of the movie?

:D

Hey Mike,

i ordered on the Flicker Alley site the day it was announced, i get regular e-mails from them, and it showed up in the mail either Wednesday or Thursday this week.

i wish i had the same discerning eye as so many on here have, but in nutshell, the film is from 1925, so my comparisons are The Gold Rush Criterion, Phantom Kino, and some other selected silents, but personally i think it is a beautiful print; you can tell that the Mary Pickford Foundation is putting the effort into preserving her legacy. It does have a new original score, and the only special feature is about the young composer chosen to do the score of the film.

Story wise, it showcase her skills as an actress, but at the age of i believe 33 when this was made, she is still playing a teen, that baby spotlight is put to use to give her a youthful appearance, the story it's self is good, but i think i still prefer Sparrows, it is just such a great film. What is impressive is the cast, of "hoodlums" in her "gang" and just like the Hal Roach silent "Our Gang Comedies" the group of kids are a multicultural group of immigrants, Greek, Jewish, African-American, Irish.

It has some great funny bits in it, and the drama is pretty good too, happy that i got it, makes me wish i would have gotten the other one as well.

for anyone who ordered this, i don't think anyone will be disappointed, i would to to hear some other views, on what they think of the presentation as a whole

:D

Also got another silent early but it's from Milestone-

Maybe tomorrow morning i can view The Adventures of Prince Achmed completely, did a quick scan of it the other morning and was impressed, it has a second disc with a bunch of Lotte Reiniger shorts on the second disc, and is released in conjunction with the British Film Institute.

:)

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dana: Thanks for fleshing all that out.

I'm tempted by Little Annie Rooney. I've heard a lot about it (and Pickford's great talent). And I'm actually not sure I've seen a Pickford film. I've also heard about the wonderful work the Pickford Foundation is doing. I like supporting projects like that and have enjoyed nearly all the early films I've purchased.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Dana: Thanks for fleshing all that out.

I'm tempted by Little Annie Rooney. I've heard a lot about it (and Pickford's great talent). And I'm actually not sure I've seen a Pickford film. I've also heard about the wonderful work the Pickford Foundation is doing. I like supporting projects like that and have enjoyed nearly all the early films I've purchased.

Milestone did put out a set with Sparrows, Mary Pickford Rags and Riches, it has three feature films, plus Ramona (1910), and as good as it is i would love to see a new version from flicker alley after another restoration

as for the film, here is an idea how good it looks

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of Pickford, TCM had a really good documentary on her last week. I watched most of it. I think it's still available on the TCM app on iTunes, but it will be gone in a few days so need to watch it right away. There was a 1965 interview with her and Zukor together as part of that documentary.

Edit: I just checked the TCM app "Mary Pickford: The Muse of the Movies" is available on the app until November 14th. It covers her whole career. A terrific documentary. Todd McCarthy didn't like it, but other reviewers like Mike Clark, who's a favorite reviewer of mine liked it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mary-pickford-the-muse-of-the-movies/reviews/

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i will see if i can catch that Pickford Doc, it's a shame that people overlook so many silents, would love to see WAC tackle some in their collective library,

This Morning

upload_2018-11-11_8-43-4.png

Animation from Germany (Weimar Republic) 1926, simply put AMAZING, for animation fans this is a visual feast for the eyes, and the music score only amplifies the film, B/W tinted, and at present is considered the oldest surviving Animated Feature, for the uninitiated here is a trailer

the silhouettes were animated one frame at a time, so this took approximately 3 years to make

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Mary Pickford films are awesome! She was a great talent. I watch as many as I possibly can. I bought these Flicker Alley releases, and have never seen Fanchon. Unfortunately, with Filmstruck dying, I have no time for anything but Filmstruck.
Prince Achmed is a delight. Saw it many years ago at MoMA. Will be getting this release as well.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It has never bothered me, but my wife can never get over the fact that we see a 30 year old trying to pass for 12 in Mary’s films.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well i work with some 30 -40 years old that think they are a 12 years old, at least there work ethic is at that level of involvement.

on a side note, i would love to see one of Mary's contemporary's get a few more releases, i am speaking of Lillian Gish, because she was doing roles that the public would not accept Ms. Pickford in, both with Victor Sjöström directing, The Wind & The Scarlet Letter

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
After sitting on my To Watch shelf for a few years, I finally took down the Blu-ray of Streisand's A Star Is Born to watch. The movie was always just OK for me: some excellent songs (and some dogs), Barbra being Barbra (which is fine if you like her which I do), Kristofferson showing some charisma even with an unlikable part. I haven't seen the newest version yet, but for me this one has always ranked at the bottom of the film versions of this story.

The Blu-ray was OK, but I wasn't blown away with the quality. It may have been more the film stock and the way it was shot originally rather than any fault of the transfer.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Twilight Time's Blu-ray disc of Wild Bill. I didn't like the film at all. Today I'll be watching another Twilight Time Blu-ray disc: The Bravados. I know I'll like this film because I always have! I'm very much looking forward to seeing this in High Definition.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday I watched Twilight Time's Blu-ray disc of Wild Bill. I didn't like the film at all. Today I'll be watching another Twilight Time Blu-ray disc: The Bravados. I know I'll like this film because I always have! I'm very much looking forward to seeing this in High Definition.
When I get the hankering for some Wild Bill, I watched "The Plainsman" with Gary Cooper. Sure, it's DeMille's fantasy filmmaking, but I love that film and Cooper as Wild Bill with Jean Arthur as Calamity Jane.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks