What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
th

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Of Human Bondage, the Kim Novak version on DVD-R.

Today, if I have enough time, I want to watch Exodus which I haven't seen for ages.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I was running behind schedule yesterday, so I didn't have time for a long film like Exodus. Instead I watched Rawhide with Tyrone Power whom I always like. Two aspects I particularly noticed yesterday: the film avoids the convention of the man and the woman falling in love. They work together but there's no sign of a romance. The second element was Milton Krasner's use of deep focus in the interior scenes.

A Man Alone and Lisbon have just arrived. I'll probably watch them both tonight. Very much looking forward to this.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2018-11-19_11-56-39.png

wasn't subscribing to CBS All Access for one program, is it great, nah to much jumping around, BSD: Discovery, (and that is form someone who loves the Re-Imagined BSG) maybe, but then the last five min or so of the season, i have one reason to like this, A Ship and Music and a possible set up for a better sophomore season awaits

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lots of people told me that Peg and I would enjoy the Paddington movies.

So, I picked 'em both up (pretty cheap, thankfully).

We watched the first one last night and both of us kept getting more and more distracted as it went on. WHY (OH WHY) the people who write and produce these types of films feel the need to turn them into "kid-friendly" action pictures is just beyond me. This is a talking bear...from Peru...who is far from home. So we need to have Nicole Kidman threatening to kill the bear so she can stuff him and put him in a museum?!? I mean she's got the bear sedated on a table with a case full of tools worthy of a Hostel or Saw movie looking to do him in?!?

Geesh. What a shame.

I've heard that Paddington 2 is better than the first film...but it's gonna be hard to feel inspired to ever spin up that disc.

paddington-wallpaper.jpg

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
For what it’s worth, my wife and I absolutely loved the first movie and found the second one just OK. We saw both in the theatre.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've had a tough run lately. I didn't like Christopher Robin either.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm becoming a difficult old guy and harder and harder to please (or more nicely put, more discerning in my old age)? :laugh:

The Kidman character is still the antagonist in the second film?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've had a tough run lately. I didn't like Christopher Robin either.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm becoming a difficult old guy and harder and harder to please (or more nicely put, more discerning in my old age)? :laugh:

The Kidman character is still the antagonist in the second film?
Not every film can be as enjoyable to you as "La La Land".:)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The more I ponder my viewing of Paddington, though, the angrier I'm getting. There was no reason to take such an innocent little children's story about a world-traveling bear and give it such a sick, demented twist.

Walt Disney proved with his Pooh films that you don't need that kind of crap if the story is well-told.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Hugh Grant is a delicious villain in Paddington 2, and he has a wonderful end sequence singing a delightful Sondheim ditty from Follies.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The more I ponder my viewing of Paddington, though, the angrier I'm getting. There was no reason to take such an innocent little children's story about a world-traveling bear and give it such a sick, demented twist.

Walt Disney proved with his Pooh films that you don't need that kind of crap if the story is well-told.
You know, I can’t even remember what you are referring to!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . and now for the good news . .

I watched Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray discs of A Man Alone and Lisbon yesterday. Both are what fans of these films have been waiting for: good picture and sound quality, commentary tracks, English sub-titles, plus trailers for other films released on Kino Lorber discs.

A Man Alone
is very good and this disc will become one of my most frequently watched. I've always loved this film ever since my father took me to see it when it first came out. (There are two "implausibles" which could easily have been fixed by minor adjustments to the screenplay, but they don't bother me) Lisbon has one drawback: some of the wide angle establishing shots seem slightly out of focus. The first shot of Maureen O'Hara at the airport, walking towards the camera is an example. The rest is very good and I'm sure most people will be happy with these discs. Possibly, those with professional eyes might see faults I missed and I will be interested to read informed opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks