What's new

Any chance of "Muriel's Wedding" on bluray in the near future? (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
As I couldn't find any other threads on the topic of this movie, I thought I would go ahead and create one for anyone who is interested in seeing this gem come to bluray. I did some background homework and it seems like Paramount now owns this title. I had purchased the first U.S. DVD release which was non-animorphic. It is a Miramax film that was released through Buena Vista (aka Disney). In 2021, it was re-issued on DVD surprisingly now by Paramount. I did a re-purchase to see if it was any different and it was an exact repress of the former release. So it does appear to be in Paramount's hands now... except, I don't want to be presumptious that they also would hold the bluray rights.

"Like Water For Chocolate" (another Miramax film) was previously released on bluray and I just learned received a re-issue in 2021 from (surprise) Paramount! So I'm wondering why Paramount or whoever owns the rights is keeping this one UN-released on bluray. It needs an HD master badly in the proper aspect ratio. Has anyone heard anything about this one in particular? It was quite a hit in theaters when it was released.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
As I couldn't find any other threads on the topic of this movie, I thought I would go ahead and create one for anyone who is interested in seeing this gem come to bluray. I did some background homework and it seems like Paramount now owns this title. I had purchased the first U.S. DVD release which was non-animorphic. It is a Miramax film that was released through Buena Vista (aka Disney). In 2021, it was re-issued on DVD surprisingly now by Paramount. I did a re-purchase to see if it was any different and it was an exact repress of the former release. So it does appear to be in Paramount's hands now... except, I don't want to be presumptious that they also would hold the bluray rights.

"Like Water For Chocolate" (another Miramax film) was previously released on bluray and I just learned received a re-issue in 2021 from (surprise) Paramount! So I'm wondering why Paramount or whoever owns the rights is keeping this one UN-released on bluray. It needs an HD master badly in the proper aspect ratio. Has anyone heard anything about this one in particular? It was quite a hit in theaters when it was released.
Like Water for Chocolate was truncated by H. Weinstein for its US release. I don't think it's been released uncut. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Buena Vista had, back in the day, been the (home video) distributor for Miramax titles. Then, for a while, that distribution moved over to Lionsgate. Now, it's with Paramount.

There's no reason why they couldn't release Muriel's Wedding on Blu-ray beyond it just not being a priority for them. I've no idea if their distribution rights extend to licensing it (or any other Miramax titles) out to a boutique label like Kino.

I'd like to see it on BD as well (and, yes, I know it's been released on Blu-Ray in other countries).

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Paramount sometimes licenses stuff to Down Under label Imprint, so I wouldn't be surprised if Muriel's Wedding turns up there someday.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have Muriel's Wedding on blu ray courtesy of Germany. If you have a region free player, Amazon.de is currently asking 10 euros for it.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Paramount sometimes licenses stuff to Down Under label Imprint, so I wouldn't be surprised if Muriel's Wedding turns up there someday.

As far as I know, Paramount's distribution rights to Miramax titles don't go beyond the US (or North America). And, as I said before, it's not clear if Paramount's license re: Miramax allows them to sub-license anything to another label. So far, there aren't any such existing deals.

And there's already been an Australian Blu-ray of Muriel's Wedding, from Roadshow:

Muriel's Wedding.jpg

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Like Water for Chocolate was truncated by H. Weinstein for its US release. I don't think it's been released uncut. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I had heard that as well but I haven't watched the bluray in a while to remember. I recall someone saying the streaming version was edited. Is it the frontal nudity that was edited or unedited in the uncut version?
Buena Vista had, back in the day, been the (home video) distributor for Miramax titles. Then, for a while, that distribution moved over to Lionsgate. Now, it's with Paramount.

There's no reason why they couldn't release Muriel's Wedding on Blu-ray beyond it just not being a priority for them. I've no idea if their distribution rights extend to licensing it (or any other Miramax titles) out to a boutique label like Kino.

I'd like to see it on BD as well (and, yes, I know it's been released on Blu-Ray in other countries).
I would love to see it on BD soon. It's a favorite of mine. Kino or Criterion would be great! I honestly thought we would see it on Criterion by now as it seemed like a fit for their catalog.
I thought the same thing. They are releasing "Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael" this month which is with Paramount (though not a Miramax title if that plays a part in it not being licensed).
I have Muriel's Wedding on blu ray courtesy of Germany. If you have a region free player, Amazon.de is currently asking 10 euros for it.
How is the transfer on this? I had heard it looked great but the audio was messed up and echoed. What are your thought on this?

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I've been waiting for this one endlessly. I watched the dvd of it last year. The movie hadn't aged a day.
Same here. The story always delivers all the emotions for me as fresh as when I first saw it. It appears this may be with Studiocanal. Not 100% positive on that but that is who licensed it in Germany. I've thought about getting a copy but heard some negative comments about the audio on that release with an echo-y effect. Can anyone give their thoughts on this one that owns that release?

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Same here. The story always delivers all the emotions for me as fresh as when I first saw it. It appears this may be with Studiocanal. Not 100% positive on that but that is who licensed it in Germany. I've thought about getting a copy but heard some negative comments about the audio on that release with an echo-y effect. Can anyone give their thoughts on this one that owns that release?
I found no echo-effect. It looks great and is in 1080p with SD special features. It's Arthaus/Studio Canal. I had the Australian release which is a lot less brilliant and won't play on my Panasonic 820 all-region.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I found no echo-effect. It looks great and is in 1080p with SD special features. It's Arthaus/Studio Canal. I had the Australian release which is a lot less brilliant and won't play on my Panasonic 820 all-region.
Thanks Mark! I already bought a copy but haven't watched it yet. I only tested it out and it looked and sounded fantastic! Much better than the dvd and the correct aspect ratio. So I'm glad I got it because who knows if we'll ever see a U.S. release of this film on BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jls
Recent bookmarks