What's new

Titan vs. Mini Monitor (1 Viewer)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
How much better are the mini monitors compared to the titans? Does it justify the price difference? Thanks!

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
After listening to both...I didn't even consider the titans. I purchased the mini monitors. If they are going to be used as rears, it would be less important, but I still got the mini monitors to have better matching to the front speakers.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Basically I can do either of the following...

I can do Titans all around for a 5.1 setup...I can get this for $682 Canadian. OR spend more for...

Mini Monitor Front L/R
CC-370
Micro's Rear L/R

this will be $1000 Canadian Exactly. I cannot afford better rears, what do you guys think?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
In that situation, I would probably go w/ the titans. I used a pair for about a week as mains while i was waiting for my 3SE MK3s to come. The imaged great and w/ a good sub would be very capable mains. Another option would be to step up to Focus mains, a 270 center, and step back to Atoms as surrounds.

If you listen to the Mini's and find a considerable difference to your ears and really feel the need to step up, you may want to consider either going surroundless for a while until you can get something more capable than the micros, or going centerless for awhile and getting 2 pairs of Mini's. The Mini-Monitors should offer good enough imaging to do without a center. You might actually prefer the sound of a phantom center, especially if most of your listening is on-axis (in the "sweet spot").

Hope this helps :)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Stephen, thanks allot....

My original plan was to go with

Studio 60's
Studio CC
Studio 20's

recently I had some dental work done and had to dip into the funds. Unfortunetly I can't afford the following. My paradigm dealer is stingy...BUT just got a quote from a dealer 1 hour away, hes in a bigger city so he went down in price BIG TIME...I can get the Studio 20's and Studio CC for now...I will not be able to afford anything else for 1 month...but its ok because I will just get the Studio 60's and move the 20's to the rear...Im a huge music listener and I am a movie buff so the equality is there for both. This is great, I really dont mind waiting, seeing it will be worth it...what do u think?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a solid plan to me! What will you be using to power your new speakers? If it's anything other than a flagship receiver, it's probably not going to be able to adequately drive the Studio 60s when you get those. Not that they won't sound great, they just won't shine until you bring in some external amplification.

That said, sounds like a very solid plan of action. There's a good chance you may not even feel the need to get the 60s after you spend a month with the 20s, especially if you have a good sub to match up w/ them.

As for Paradigm dealers, most will go about 15% if you haggle, threaten to buy somewhere else, leave, comeback, leave again, then offer to pay cash *L*. I'm lucky to have found a dealer who offers 20% off list to anyone who walks in the door. I feel bad when I do go in though, because I always mean to buy something but never do. I always end up buying used. I've found that I like the older SE series better than the current Monitor series that replaced it because the Monitor's Titanium tweeter can sound a bit bright. The slight warmth of the SE series' Treated Textile Dome tweeter is very smooth and turns out very neutral when powered by my Sony 4ES. I was also able to put together system consisting of 5SE MK3s (floor-standing) mains, 3SE MK3 surrounds, Mini MK3 back surrounds, and a 3SE MK3 center, all for around $800. The equivalent setup in the current monitor series would have cost me nearly $1500 + tax, and that's including my local dealer's 20% discount. I guess being a college student, the $700 savings and smoother/warmer sound was a real no-brainer for me.

Sorry If I rambled, but it's a good topic to talk about :)Good luck w/ your purchase and let us know how it sounds!

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Thanks Stephan...I was thinking about spending the extra cash and going with Rotel Seperates. I can't afford them though so Im looking out for something a little cheaper. Maybe a H/K AVR7200. Or possibly a JVC RX-DP9VBK. I will prob make another thread to get the forums general concious on the JVC. I am a big music listener but I want it to shine on movies as well.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would stay away from JVC in general when it comes to receivers. You may want to give a look at the Sony 4ES, Pioneer 45TX, and Denon 3803.

I was able to get my 4ES for $600 shipped online from an authorized dealer. It would have been $1000 + tax at HiFi Buys. Cheapest I could find the 45TX online was $750 shipped, and that was from a non-authorized dealer. The 3803 is tough to find cheap because it's fairly new and most of the etailers haven't started discounting the 3802s very deeply just yet. The HK 7200 or even the HK 525 would probably match very well w/ the Studios. The warmth of the HK amps and the slight brightness of the Aluminum tweeters in the Studios will compliment nicely.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks