What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Titanic (1997) (4k UHD) (Limited Edition Collector's Boxed Set) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I suppose this won't be the original theatrical version AS shown in theaters back then, right?
It will be with all the little tweaks here and there...
More like a correction or two. The correct starfield. The correct funnel colors. No major revisions or additions ala Lucas.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wouldn't mind getting those new Blu-ray bonus features but don't have any reason to need the 4K disc. I wonder if they considered a new Blu-ray release too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I recall correctly, the current 4K master was derived from the work originally performed in 2012 to prepare the film for 3D theatrical re-releases and 2D Blu-ray, so a new Blu-ray would essentially be the same as the existing Blu-ray. With disc revenue and demand both in steep decline, they most likely concluded that it was simply not an effort worth making.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I salute you. I was hoping that it would be $75-ish and I would have done $100 but $154 is too rich for my blood.
Hoping it will decrease by release date. I can always cancel if it doesn’t. That’s an absurd price by the way.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
No release date in the press release?
OK, looks like the first part of the official press release got chopped off the original post:

TITANIC

Debuts on 4K Ultra HD December 5th

Limited-Edition Collector’s Box Set Also Available

Revisit James Cameron’s epic masterpiece TITANIC when it arrives for the first time ever remastered on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc December 5, 2023 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
The UK edition is getting a Blu-Ray copy as well. I guess I got my dilemma sorted then.

Attachments

• 81X1L8DB2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81X1L8DB2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 22

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Meaning a combo pack with both 4K and 3D versions?

You post makes it sound like you're waiting for a 4K UHD 3D version, but I have to believe you know there's no such thing as 3D 4K UHD discs.

You know, I wasn't sure if they made 3D 4k discs these days, so I guess my question is moot. I'll just hang on to my 3D blu-ray edition.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Is it even technically possible to make a 4K 3D film?

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
It’s possible to make one, it’s just not possible to deliver it on the UHD format. Avatar 2 and Ang Lee’s last two films were native 4K and 3D in theaters.

This is an area where streaming can surpass discs. I believe Apple is making 4k 3d movies available for its forthcoming Vision Pro headset.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
IIRC, the powers that be behind 4K UHD rejected 3D 4K because they felt 4K would "look 3D" on its own.

They were wrong!

They left it so that it could be added to the spec if there was ever a need - similar to the way 3D wasn’t part of the Blu-ray spec on launch either. The issue back in 2016 was that theatrical 3D was limited to 2K so there was no need for a home 3D 4K spec when no content was being produced that it could be used for.

Sure. It’s just that the standard DCP spec doesn’t allow for it, so the overwhelming majority of theaters have no way to show it. (IMAX and Dolby Cinema don’t conform to the standard DCP spec so they can and have shown the very limited number of 4K 3D productions that way.) 4K is basically four times the resolution of 2K, so when making a 3D film, that’s a huge increase in the amount of data that has to be managed, especially for conversions, and it was just one of those things where the effort was deemed worth the reward.

4K 3D at 120fps - the two Ang Lee films - can look spectacularly lifelike, but one thing it doesn’t look like is a movie. And that’s been the biggest hurdle because it turns out most audience members don’t seem to like going to movies that don’t look like movies. However, it’s an incredible tool that does have a place - imagine a theme park ride or museum exhibition where you were completely fooled by the image onscreen into thinking you weren’t looking at a screen at all.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The issue back in 2016 was that theatrical 3D was limited to 2K so there was no need for a home 3D 4K spec when no content was being produced that it could be used for.
Not only that, but 2016 was the last year the TV industry produced 3D-capable displays. The bell had already tolled for 3D technology in the home moving forward, so any advancement on 4K 3D was DOA.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Not only that, but 2016 was the last year the TV industry produced 3D-capable displays. The bell had already tolled for 3D technology in the home moving forward, so any advancement on 4K 3D was DOA.
That's correct. The bell is tolling even louder now. Even in the projector market, Sony has dropped it on anything below $10,000, Epson has dropped it entirely from their new laser models. Only JVC continues to support it throughout their line.

It's a unfortunate. I think 3D in the home was a victim of bad timing. For flat panels it was released much too early. 40 - 50 inch displays were much too small for 3D. On those panels it was really just a gimmick. In projection or with today's giant flat panels, it can be very effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks