1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Paradigm PS-1000 vs SVS PB-10

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by chuck-h, Nov 22, 2004.

1. chuck-h

chuck-h Auditioning

I will probably end up getting a set of titans for my fronts. After listening to them I don't hear $200 difference between them and the mini monitors I had originally wanted. In fact this particular dealer doesn't stock the monitor series. He said if your going to upgrade from the performace line, you just as soon go to the reference line which he discounts to make them a little more competitive with the monitor line. The PDR-10 has been noted to be a good sub, but not in the same league as the PS-1000 which I could get for $469. Just wondering from those that have heard both is there a big enough difference between the PS-1000 and SVS PB-10 to suggest one over the other? They will probably end up costing close to the same with shipping/tax. Could anyone compare or comment on these two subs. Thanks

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

In my opinion, there is nothing Paradigm offers in terms of subwoofers that can even touch the SVS model at any given price point. I have owned Paradigm speakers nearly exclusively and I recommend them all the time, but when it comes to bass there is only one Authority in my book [​IMG]

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The SVS PB10 is by far the greater sub, both in smoothness of response and in low-end output. The PS-1000 is a bandpass sub, boomy but pretty loud over 25-30Hz.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I hear a noticable difference between the Titans and the Minis, and I would take Minis over Titans every time, however there are plenty of other good speakers out there at this price point, especially if you don't mind internet direct:

www.axiomaudio.com

www.ascendacoustics.com

www.av123.com

I'm very pleased with my PB-10. [​IMG]

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I have a PS-1000. It can be boomy if you are not careful. But with enough tweaking it is not bad. And it is very powerful over 25hz. But from what I have read about the SVS, it will provide a better sound over a wider range. I am actually thinking about upgrading to a SVS soon.

6. chuck-h

chuck-h Auditioning

John, how would you describe the difference between the Titans and Minis. I have heard both but not side by side. If I had to compare any difference, the Minis do sound a little "deeper". I guess I am trying to cut back on my budget, since it has gone over. After never having surround sound or HT, I guess Titans with a CC 170 would be a huge improvement. If I wouldn't be building I probably wouldn't be adding a HT. Currently looking at a Yamaha RX v1500 with Titan fronts, CC 170,in ceiling speakers for rears,(unfortunately these can't be changed) and a SVS PB-10 sub. Anyone have any pros or cons or suggestions about this setup without adding more than $250.

7. Jason Kolczak

I also used to own the PS-1000. While I found it good for movies, it could easily sound boomy with music. Of course this was in my setup. I compared it to a Velodyne my friend had approx. 6 years ago, and liked the Velodyne more. Of course since it's been 6 years, I don't remember which model it was. Personally, I'd go with the SVS even though I've never heard it.

8. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

quote:

In my opinion, there is nothing Paradigm offers in terms of subwoofers that can even touch the SVS model at any given price point. I have owned Paradigm speakers nearly exclusively and I recommend them all the time, but when it comes to bass there is only one Authority in my book. [​IMG]
    __________________________________________________ ________

I too would pick an SVS sub for true low end chores... [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

9. chuck-h

chuck-h Auditioning

Well this is off topic in reference to my initial thread title. But today I was able to listen to atoms, titans, mini monitors, and monitor 7s in A/B comparison along with a CC170 vs 370. In HT with a DVD, I noticed some difference between the center channels. The 370 was a little more fuller and dynamic. When it came to CD music, as John said above, I noticed a difference between the titans and mini's. The titans do sound good, but can't quite compare to the mini monitors. The monitors are a class above when it comes to music. Not sure of the sub they had in the cabinet but was quite boomy in CD music, I am sure it was not set right but had to tell him to turn it off. Of course the HT guy was not there and had to wing it with the car audio guy. I don't think I will be satisfied unless I get the minis, CC370 & SVS PB-10. I have one question. Does it matter as much if you go with different brand of in ceiling speakers for surrounds in back? I am thinking of using Klipsch in ceiling. The place I am probably going to buy the speakers really pushes these with really good prices.