What's new

5.1 Speaker recommendations. (1 Viewer)

Rockfella

Auditioning
Real Name
Vivek Sood
Hi,

I'm kind of juggling with these four:
Focal Sib Evo 5.1 Speaker Package with Powered subwoofer $540.
Polk Audio TL1600 $582.
Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 $1044.
Q Acoustics 3010i 5.1 Cinema $1212.
Monitor Audio is almost twice the price but I love it's sound, two of my buddies already have it and they love it. Was wondering if Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 $1044 is really worth twice the price and which one is better Focal or Polk.

Tia.
Vivek.
Note: I have converted my country's currency in USD for reference, prices in your country may vary.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't know much of anything about those 5.1 packages, but if you can actually get that Focal package for just $540, I'd probably go for that one (just because it's Focal at that very attractive, seemingly seriously bargain/clearance price) out of the options you're considering. That package seems to normally go for more like $1.2K, and you're talking over 50% off. Is it some kinda pre-owned/used/refurbed/open-box deal? IF yes, just make sure you get a good warranty and easy return policy (probably including free return shipping, if shipping is necessary).

IF we're talking options circa $1.2K, you should probably also give some consideration to SVS's offering. I imagine their competing 5.1 package in that range, which includes their SB-1000 Pro sub, should be very competitive and might well be better, particularly the included sub, which you can easily buy another later for a potentially worthwhile upgrade, if you want. I doubt the subs offered by those other packages/companies in this range will be as good (while the satellite speakers might mostly be a wash).

In that range, another option would be going w/ ELAC's Debut 2.0 (on frequently recurring sale though just ended the last one) for the 5 speakers plus an SVS sub (like the SB-1000 Pro). There's really no need to get a sub from the same maker in the vast majority of cases -- you're generally better off not doing that if your goal is best performance and getting the most bang for your buck... instead of just matching visual aesthetics or the like.

IF that Focal package price is completely off/wrong and you actually want to keep this to a smaller budget, another alternative might be Monoprice. They have various options often on very good sales to fit different budgets -- I'd definitely wait for a good sale on whichever options, eg. their M518HT THX 5.1 package seems often enough 50%-plus off (for under $400) IIRC. A few of us find their budget priced Encore 5/6 series of speakers to be very good value when on clearance-like sale, if not quite as good as the ELAC Debut 2.0s. Again, you can mate those w/ an SVS sub or maybe something (possibly cheaper) from Hsu, RSL, et al. I recently went w/ a pair of Encore T5 (floorstanders) for $90/each + C5 (center) for $70 + pair of SVS SB-1000 (original, non-pro version) on clearance sale (under $350/each) for my tiny "home office" space that I find quite satisfying... though I mainly use it for music, but it easily packs some good punch for movies in a small space -- yes, I probably overkilled it w/ 2x SB-1000, haha, as one should definitely be enough (performance-wise) in such a small space... but they were on clearance sale and I partly wanted to use them as pedestals to raise the T5s to a good height for my listening position (at computer desk). :P

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
@ManW_TheUncool thank you. None of the models you mentioned are available in my country. Would you suggest Polk Focal or Elac?

Is that Focal price you mentioned correct for brand new speakers (or at least fully guaranteed pre-owned/refurbed)? If so, probably just go w/ those.

Where are you located? Not sure you can benefit from the same frequently recurring sales for Elac speakers that we get here in USA (to keep it w/in your $1.2K budget ballpark). Plus if you can't get SVS or other good subs, might not be quite as worthwhile to go in that direction.

_Man_

Rockfella

Auditioning
Real Name
Vivek Sood
Is that Focal price you mentioned correct for brand new speakers (or at least fully guaranteed pre-owned/refurbed)? If so, probably just go w/ those.

Where are you located? Not sure you can benefit from the same frequently recurring sales for Elac speakers that we get here in USA (to keep it w/in your $1.2K budget ballpark). Plus if you can't get SVS or other good subs, might not be quite as worthwhile to go in that direction.

_Man_
These are prices of all brand new :) SVS is out of budget/most of their entry level stuff is not available in India.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The brands you've mentioned that I consider the best to focus on are Monitor Audio, Focal, and ELAC.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
These are prices of all brand new :) SVS is out of budget/most of their entry level stuff is not available in India.

In that case, the Focal package is probably a no-brainer at that price (unless it's somehow quite different from the one sold here in the USA).

Very curious why that Focal package is so very cheap in India...

_Man_

Rockfella

Auditioning
Real Name
Vivek Sood
My bad, you're right. It's INR 106100 not what I posted. Thank you. Would you rate it even better than A acoustics? That set has raving reviews all over.
In that case, the Focal package is probably a no-brainer at that price (unless it's somehow quite different from the one sold here in the USA).

Very curious why that Focal package is so very cheap in India...

_Man_
y bad

Rockfella

Auditioning
Real Name
Vivek Sood
Demoed the monitor audio mass 5.1 (with focal sub) Focal Sib Evo 5.1 and Q Acoustics 3010i 5.1 (with focal sub). Monitor audio very impressive for it's size but for the price it is not worth over Q Acoustics, focal was decent nothing really outstanding, Q Acoustics was pure joy, zeroed down on it flat 5 seconds. Waiting for the dealer to get the walnut FS (will get FSs instead of bookshelves now without sub)
Thanks all.
Funny thing: AVR was Denon X250BT and it was amazing. I don't need streaming/alexa/bells and whistles.

Rockfella

Auditioning
Real Name
Vivek Sood
Q Acoustics Denon.jpg

Yes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks