What's new

I need a recommendation for a new receiver (2 Viewers)

NolanJ

Second Unit
I currently have a Marantz SR 6010, however it has reached end of life (quit working) so I need a replacement.

I only need a 5.1 setup as I only use one subwoofer and won't be expanding past the centre, L & R, and 2 rear speaker combination.

I need something that will still be able to power my speakers without issue.

Speaker Specs:

Monitor Audio Silver 10 (Front)

Frequency Response: 30Hz - 35kHz
Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
Maxium SMP: 117.8 (pair)
Power Handling (RMS): 250W
Recommended Amplifier Requirement: 80 - 200W

Monitor Audio Silver Centre

Frequency Response: 45Hz - 35kHz
Nominal Ipedance: 8 Ohms
Maximum SMP: 112.5
Power Handling (RMS): 150W
Recommended Amplifier Requirements: 60-150W

Monitor CT280IDC (Rear)

Power Range (Watts): 30-120
Sensitivity: 90 dB
Impedance (Ohms) - 6
Frequency Response: 50-30kHz

Sunfire HRS12

Input Power120VAC, 50-60Hz
Output Power1,000Wrms
Power Consumption600W typical
Frequency Response16-100Hz
Max SPL108
Input ImpedanceRCA : 30kohms
Speaker Level : 5.6k ohms (Ohms)
Phase Control0-180° inf. var.
Crossover Adjustment30-100Hz inf. var.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do you have a target budget?

Even though you have no plans to go beyond 5.1, I recommend getting an Atmos capable 7.1 receiver, because it can process Atmos soundtracks, which produces better surround sound, even with a 5.1 setup.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yamaha's RX-V385 is a good 5.1 receiver if you have no desire whatsoever to have outputs for Atmos.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Yamaha v6a if you have no need for gaming or very high bandwith requirements.

I'll encourage looking into Dolby atmos if you watch TV series and movies that has atmos available.
Even though you may claim no desire. You might want to reconsider the possibility. Just don't rule it out automatically.

I hope this helps

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yamaha v6a if you have no need for gaming or very high bandwith requirements.

I'll encourage looking into Dolby atmos if you watch TV series and movies that has atmos available.
Even though you may claim no desire. You might want to reconsider the possibility. Just don't rule it out automatically.

I hope this helps
Some people have no interest in Dolby Atmos and the OP appears to be one of them. We need to respect that thought process!

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I would consider a Marantz Cinema 60 (newer version of a SR5010), a Denon AVR-X3800H or a Denon AVR-X2700H if you use multiroom, custom integration, or Audyssey XT. Other wise I'd recommend Denon AVR-S970H which is similar to the X2700 but with normal Audyssey and no custom or multiroom features.

I am not a fan of Onkyo products (Onkyo, Pioneer(Elite), and Integra). I feel Denon/Marantz are step up in performance over Yamaha.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Many of the suggestions so far are not appropriate for 4 ohm speakers, so be careful there.

Mike Up's suggestions are good for 4 ohm speakers. I really wanted to give him a 'Like' but I don't agree with his position of Denon being a step up over Yamaha. (Denon is certainly as good though, so a worthy candidate.)

If it were me I'd also consider Anthem; they are a step up over Denon/Yamaha. You don't get as many bells and whistles, but the electronics and room correction are better. (That's a non-verified personal opinion, and for reference I have Yamaha receivers.)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Mike Up's suggestions are good for 4 ohm speakers. I really wanted to give him a 'Like' but I don't agree with his position of Denon being a step up over Yamaha. (Denon is certainly as good though, so a worthy candidate.)
I've owned Yamaha RX-V2095, RX-V995, RX-V2400, RX-V793, and RX-A710. I've owned Denon AVR-3803, AVR-2312ci and AVR-S960H.

I can say that all my Denons sounded significantly better to "me" than the Yamahas. These are older Yamaha receivers so maybe newer Yamahas are better.

Now I would consider Yamaha as a second choice if I wasn't happy with the Denon competitor.

Just my opinion from my experiences. Each to their own. 🙂

BTW, I still have all my Denon receivers. Yamahas all have been sold or returned.

I would had considered Yamaha this turn, as I just bought my Denon AVR-S960H, if they had some current models. The reason that I didn't is they haven't released a standard receiver since 2020 and their RX-A receivers are very expensive, IMO, for what they offer next to Denon. Their RX-V6A is only 8K 60p compressed with no uncompressed 8K 60p compatibility and so is their $1000 RX-A offering.

Maybe their 2024 receivers will be better. Before the pandemic, makers use to offer new lines of receiver every year, not every 3 years like they are trying to do now.

Last edited:

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I've owned Yamaha RX-V2095, RX-V995, RX-V2400, RX-V793, and RX-A710. I've owned Denon AVR-3803, AVR-2312ci and AVR-S960H.

I can say that all my Denons sounded significantly better to "me" than the Yamahas. These are older Yamaha receivers so maybe newer Yamahas are better.

Now I would consider Yamaha as a second choice if I wasn't happy with the Denon competitor.

Just my opinion from my experiences. Each to their own. 🙂

BTW, I still have all my Denon receivers. Yamahas all have been sold or returned. ...
I only tried one Denon, and it didn't sound as "warm" as the Yamahas. I also tried a Marantz (same company as Denon) but that wouldn't connect to my NAS, so it went back. To be fair, both of those were ~5 years ago, so definitely not models out now. For completeness I've owned Yamaha models HTR-6230, RX-V671, RX-V673, RX-V681, WXA-50, and WXC-50 (lots of different rooms; I'm not big on zones); I forget which Denon and Marantz I tried.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Denon, absolutely just a personal preference. My main point was that I don't think Yamaha is inferior; more like an equal option where an individual will likely prefer one over the other.

I'm also not happy with the rate of new model releases. I would have thought that pandemic would have encouraged electronic purchases and and therefore new models; but maybe they didn't have the personnel to design the upgrades. On the other hand it worries me that it's just that there's not as many people interested in the products and that's what's driving the slower rate of releases. (Completely off-topic, but you touched a nerve!)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't have any specific recs for AVRs (in large part because I'm generally a separates guy), but why would you/we need new model lines hitting the market every year???

It's not like there's gonna be great new tech or improvements in AVRs every year at this point afterall. And seems like the makers have enough trouble releasing bug-free AVRs and prepros as it is, LOL.

Honestly, if I were in the market now, I'd probably much rather buy something more mature and bug-free (and probably w/ a good discount) instead -- that was largely why I went w/ a used prepro from Anthem ~2.5 years ago right when they announced their new line... And I'd want the makers to improve their QA/QC (and maybe UIs in at least some cases) and fix bugs asap instead of churning out new, bug-riddled products and seemingly offer little-to-no after-sales support...

_Man_

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
... but why would you/we need new model lines hitting the market every year???

It's not like there's gonna be great new tech or improvements in AVRs every year at this point afterall. And seems like the makers have enough trouble releasing bug-free AVRs and prepros as it is, LOL. ...
I don't *need" new models every year (heck, I'm still using the RX-V2095 which came out maybe 20 years ago), I want them because innovation is fun!

Also, I don't think any decent manufacturer is releasing with bugs in the hardware, it's in the software. Software bugs can be fixed relatively painlessly with firmware updates.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I have upgraded receivers based on surround formats and HDMI formats.

I changed from Dolby receiver to Dolby Pro Logic receiver. I changed from Dolby Pro Logic receiver to Dolby Digital receiver. I changed from Dolby Digital receiver to receiver with both Dolby Digital and DTS. I changed due to dealers upgrade policy when I developed a buzz in my RX-V995 transformer. I changed from Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic receiver to 7.1 Dolby Digital EX/Dolby Pro Logic II receiver. I changed from Dolby Digital EX analog receiver to Dolby Digital Lossless 7.1 HDMI receiver. I changed from that 1080p HDMI receiver to 4K/8K Receiver. I likely be changing in another 5 - 10 years.

New models every year has brought less significant upgraded features/formats (HDR, wifi), along with new capabilities for streaming.

Last edited:

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I only tried one Denon, and it didn't sound as "warm" as the Yamahas. I also tried a Marantz (same company as Denon) but that wouldn't connect to my NAS, so it went back. To be fair, both of those were ~5 years ago, so definitely not models out now. For completeness I've owned Yamaha models HTR-6230, RX-V671, RX-V673, RX-V681, WXA-50, and WXC-50 (lots of different rooms; I'm not big on zones); I forget which Denon and Marantz I tried.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the Denon, absolutely just a personal preference. My main point was that I don't think Yamaha is inferior; more like an equal option where an individual will likely prefer one over the other.

I'm also not happy with the rate of new model releases. I would have thought that pandemic would have encouraged electronic purchases and and therefore new models; but maybe they didn't have the personnel to design the upgrades. On the other hand it worries me that it's just that there's not as many people interested in the products and that's what's driving the slower rate of releases. (Completely off-topic, but you touched a nerve!)
I never bought into the hype of warm, bright, neutral sounding receivers. Those definitions fit speakers much better.

However I have heard definite difference between brands of Onkyo, Yamaha, and Denon.

Compared head to head in my living room, my Yamaha RX-V2095 and Denon AVR-3803 sound similar with low to mid output levels.

When listening at loud levels, is where the Yamaha compressed. The treble lost dynamics and clarity while sounding louder and harsher. Also bass thinned out along with the treble compression. I believe this is where the statement, "Yamaha's sound brighter", came from. IMO this isn't the correct term.

I was really disappointed as I was a Yamaha fan boy and couldn't believe how much better the Denon sounded. The Denon AVR-3803 sonic characteristic didn't change from mid volume output to high volume output, where the Yamaha RX-V2095 did.

I had bought previous to the AVR-3803, a Yamaha RX-V2400 (6.1 not 7.1) that I wanted to compare. The RX-V2400 sounded identical to the 2095's sonic characteristics down to the high volume output compression. To it's credit this $1000 receiver sound as good as the $1700 RX-V2095, but to it's discredit, not as good as the Denon AVR-3803. The RX-V2400 was returned.

The Yamaha RX-A710 had HDMI communication issues so it was returned but shared the same Yamaha Sonic Characteristic. I ended up replacing my Denon AVR-3803 (analog only) to a Denon AVR-2312ci instead, which sounds very similar to the AVR-3803.

I was going to replace my 1080p only Denon AVR-2312ci with a Onkyo TX-NR6050. It had a lot of design flukes that were normal and not defects, but I didn't care for them. However for the great price, high power output, and 8K 60p uncompressed compatibility, I wanted to give it a chance. It sounded very good at all power levels, through the main speakers. I found nothing negative about it compared to my older Denon AVR-2312ci. However, I never could get the subwoofer sounding 'right'. Using my SPL meter (room correction off), the subwoofer always sounded weak compared to my Denon AVR-2312ci, which was in my other HT system now. I just turned up the subwoofer volume over what should had been set, to get a more fuller bass output. It still didn't sound right and now to thick.

What I finally figured out the problem was a lack of dynamics! It had no punch or higher output peaks for movies and music. It was compressed for some reason. That's why the SPL meter read correct levels while the receiver sounded weak in the bass. I replaced it with the Denon AVR-S960H and my bass dynamics were back.

I returned the Costco exclusive receiver, which now isn't exclusive anymore. Onkyo was selling it on their website. The problem is that this TX-NR6050 essentially was a clone of their mainstream TX-NR6100 minus the THX feature package. Along with all the surround speaker erroronous routing issues, the weak bass, poorly written manuals with errors, and poor customer support, I'll stick with Denon and Yamaha for the next round.

The Onkyo was purchased before christmas of last year. The last time I heard a Yamaha was the RX-A710 back in 2012. So hopefully 11 years later, they would sound better to "me".

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't *need" new models every year (heck, I'm still using the RX-V2095 which came out maybe 20 years ago), I want them because innovation is fun!

Also, I don't think any decent manufacturer is releasing with bugs in the hardware, it's in the software. Software bugs can be fixed relatively painlessly with firmware updates.

Well, it doesn't sound like software bugs are quite that "painlessly" addressed nowadays, particularly as these components keep getting more complex, which is why some still run into apparently show-stopping bugs and/or UI design flaws w/ Anthem's recent line of prepros/AVRs that are already nearly 2 years old. I'm just glad I went the used market route w/ the matured, previous gen AVM-60 prepro for ~1/2 the price of a new AVM-70 right when the latter was initially announced ~2.5 years ago. Of course, I also didn't really care about most any of the new features of the latter... although some of those could be nice-to-have...

I get Sam's desire as a serious gamer... but I definitely wasn't thinking about (nor interested in) hardcore gaming though...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Onkyo was purchased before christmas of last year. The last time I heard a Yamaha was the RX-A710 back in 2012. So hopefully 11 years later, they would sound better to "me".
As a current Yamaha owner I was going to respond to your negative Yamaha comments, but I have no reason to now, since you haven’t listened to a Yamaha in over a decade.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
As a current Yamaha owner I was going to respond to your negative Yamaha comments, but I have no reason to now, since you haven’t listened to a Yamaha in over a decade.
Hopefully the newer Yamaha's do sound better as I suspect they do.

FYI, when I bought my Yamaha RX-V995, I compared it to a Denon AVR-3300. I found the AVR-3300 dull sounding with a muddy like quality compared to the Yamaha RX-V995. The RX-V995 was a lot more defined and not as laid back sounding as the Denon AVR-3300. This wasn't a differing loudness situation but at all loudness settings.

Fortunately for me, the Denon AVR-3803 sounded much better than that earlier AVR-3300. It had none of the sound quality issues that I had a problem earlier with the AVR-3300.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Brands I would recommend

Anthem
Denon
Marantz
Rotel
Arcam
Yamaha ??? Not sure about the new ones

I have owned Yamaha but it was basically a late 90's RX-V995 that is a 5.1 surround sound receiver. I rocked that Yamaha for many years and it still works but is boxed up as a back up incase one of my other receivers goes out. I currently use my previous Pioneer Elite SC-05 with my pc in my bedroom system. And my current pride and joy is my Marantz SR-8012 which I know I will not upgrade for awhile as I usually have my receivers for many years before investing in a new one.

The one thing I do know is it is not unheard for brands to come and go as far as quality, sound and or issues. Choosing a receiver can be subjective as it is what sounds good to you. One receiver combined with your speakers may be more favorable to another brand and depending on the level of performance your looking for may push you to a certain price point. I for sure am not going to say Yamaha is not good as I have liked Yamaha for a long time. I just honestly do not care for the look of the new Yamaha's. I really love my Marantz and that was a brand I wanted for a long time and I am not disappointed. Rotel may not have all the bells and whistles but they have a good reputation on sound quality.

I know your looking to go 5.1 but it can not hurt to have the capability to go higher and by using only 5 channels of the receivers amplification you can ether have a little more headroom or you can reassign the amps to another zone. I feel it is always better to get more than you need than to have to upgrade to soon because you are lacking something. Never say never I always say. 5.1 can still give you a very good experience but be open and I hope you find something that works perfect for your needs.

Brands that I have owned:

Onkyo stereo intergrated amplifier

IMG_1193a.jpg

A Denon intergrated processor with dolby pro logic.

Denon repl95 sm.jpg

McIntosh MX-130 preamp / processor

Daves MX130 1995.jpg

Yamaha RX-V995 Surround Sound Receiver 5.1

IMG_0541.jpg

Pioneer Elite SC-05 Surround Sound Receiver 7.1

IMG_1810.JPG

Marantz SR-8012 Surround Sound Receiver 7.2.4

20210425_142000a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks