What's new

Dell UltraSharp 32 6K Monitor - U3224KB (1 Viewer)

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I've been looking for a 4K or better HDR monitor for video editing and a couple alternatives have just been released or will soon be. The Apple 32" Pro Display XDR is beautiful but doesn't seem to play well with the Windows machine I also want to be able to use with the same monitors.

The Dell UltraSharp 32 6K Monitor - U3224KB isn't the most attractive and I prefer not to have built-in speakers or webcam but ticks all the other boxes and Dell has it on sale at 25% off. While some Mac users have not been happy with how it works with older Mac's, my MacBook Pro M2 Max shouldn't have any issues when using the HDMI 2.1 port. It would be nice if I could simultaneously use the monitor's built-in thunderbolt 4 dock.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/dell-u3224kb-ultrasharp-6k-monitor-review

https://www.theverge.com/23542274/samsung-dell-5k-6k-monitors-apple-macbook-macos-ces-2023

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking for a 4K or better HDR monitor for video editing and a couple alternatives have just been released or will soon be. The Apple 32" Pro Display XDR is beautiful but doesn't seem to play well with the Windows machine I also want to be able to use with the same monitors.

The Dell UltraSharp 32 6K Monitor - U3224KB isn't the most attractive and I prefer not to have built-in speakers or webcam but ticks all the other boxes and Dell has it on sale at 25% off. While some Mac users have not been happy with how it works with older Mac's, my MacBook Pro M2 Max shouldn't have any issues when using the HDMI 2.1 port. It would be nice if I could simultaneously use the monitor's built-in thunderbolt 4 dock.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/dell-u3224kb-ultrasharp-6k-monitor-review

https://www.theverge.com/23542274/samsung-dell-5k-6k-monitors-apple-macbook-macos-ces-2023

The price is about right for what it is. If you get it, please report back, and let us know what you think of it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Since when is a 32" computer monitor "such a small screen?"

Well, I feel like I might want 40" for 4K/HDR (to have basically same PPI as my current NEC 27" 1440p QHD), but yeah, 32" would certainly be a nice bump in size... :cool:

I'm not in the market for one anytime soon though...

_Man_

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
What would you use such a small screen for?

I wasn't sure this was a serious comment but your other reply indicates it was. 40" would seem too big in my office. I will replace my NEC MultiSync PA271W that won't calibrate anymore with the Dell and keep my PA272W that still works great for still images and Adobe 1998 photo and printer profiling. They won't look as good sitting side by side as the NEC pair.

Even if I wanted one I'm not aware of a 40" option that competes with the specs of the new Dell or Apple Pro Display XDR and that would make the most out of my new MackBook Pro M2 Max. I want to share the monitors on both my Mac and Windows PC and I am not a gamer.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I wasn't sure this was a serious comment but your other reply indicates it was. 40" would seem too big in my office. I will replace my NEC MultiSync PA271W that won't calibrate anymore with the Dell and keep my PA272W that still works great for still images and Adobe 1998 photo and printer profiling. They won't look as good sitting side by side as the NEC pair.

Even if I wanted one I'm not aware of a 40" option that competes with the specs of the new Dell or Apple Pro Display XDR and that would make the most out of my new MackBook Pro M2 Max. I want to share the monitors on both my Mac and Windows PC and I am not a gamer.

Not sure if I replied twice? I must have overlooked the word MONITOR, hence my post.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
40" would seem too big in my office. I will replace my NEC MultiSync PA271W that won't calibrate anymore with the Dell and keep my PA272W that still works great for still images and Adobe 1998 photo and printer profiling. They won't look as good sitting side by side as the NEC pair.

Heh, mine is actually also that same model NEC (PA272W), and it's ~6.5 years old now and still going strong -- think I bought at modest discount around BF week just before NEC updated the model/line and discontinued this one.

Oh wait, just realized you probably meant you're replacing the older PA271W w/ this new one and then still keeping a PA272W around (that used to double w/ the older PA271W)...

_Man_

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I received my Dell U3224KB today and connected it to my MacBook Pro M2 Max via HDMI 2.1. I've just begun to skim through the user guide but I'm running at 6144 x 3456 and can turn on HDR without issue.

I don't know which HDR setting is correct or which Preset. Default has me at Apple XDR Display (P3-1600 nits) and Refresh rate is set at ProMotion. I can't change from ProMotion while in Apple XDR Display but assume I could if I selected a different preset.

I'll need to figure what preset is best for 4K video editing and possibly photo editing. Hopefully the same preset can be used. I'd like to use the monitors thunderbolt doc to leave the external keyboard and mouse connected

I have a lot to learn and haven't found any calibration guides yet. I'd appreciate any links if others know of them. I have a couple sensors available. Datacolor Spyder 5 that seems to be discontinued and an Eye1 Display Pro 3 if they can work with a Mac and I can find where I stored them. My NEC MultiSync PA272W looks tiny.
Dell_U2422KB_Setup.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yikes, I looked up the price of that monitor.

I really would like a 32" UHD wide gamut monitor, but it seems nobody makes them aimed at still photography anymore. Meaning, nothing seems to have 100% AdobeRGB anymore.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Yikes, I looked up the price of that monitor.

I really would like a 32" UHD wide gamut monitor, but it seems nobody makes them aimed at still photography anymore. Meaning, nothing seems to have 100% AdobeRGB anymore.

With Dell's current 25% off, if that is the price you saw, it is half of the Apple model I would want and that is without a stand. Still a pretty penny but close to the BenQ I was considering.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ooooh... not 100% aRGB?

I guess that's partly why George is keeping the NEC around then (as briefly indicated)...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ooooh... not 100% aRGB?

I guess that's partly why George is keeping the NEC around then (as briefly indicated)...

_Man_
It seems to be common. A lot are only 98% sRGB and don’t even specify AdobeRGB.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Annoying Dell doesn't mention Adobe RGB (1998) which seems to be common practice now.

What Dell publishes is;

Color Gamut
99% DCI-P3, 100% Rec 709, 100% sRGB

I am keeping one of my NEC's and hope that covers all my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks