1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Well...I'm back to Windows for gaming...and I bought a pre-built from Best Buy!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Carlo Medina, Jul 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

And I'm not aging like fine wine, either!

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I can relate! :D

3. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    A few years ago I purchased a new then-bottom of the line all-in-one desktop for watching my dvds (mostly tv shows and lousy action movies).

The few pc video games I still might play occasionally was stuff like Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City. They play fine on this cheapo desktop (made by Acer), which appears to have a 2013 vintage era Intel cpu. For a few other vintage games I was able to get working (such as 90s era stuff like Doom, Quake, etc ...), it seems to run fine too.

I don't play any current pc video games. So I have no idea what kind of performance issues there are for the latest and greatest video games.

4. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I don't have any direct proof or first hand experiences with current video games.

Rumor has it that some pc games still sold on cd (or dvd) rom discs over the past decade or so, are actually just a download program on the disc and a pass/verfication code on a piece of paper enclosed with the cd/dvd-rom package.

5. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Nowadays I wouldn't bother with any optical disc drives in a new computer, unless one still does a lot of cd, dvd, or bluray/4Kbluray disc ripping or burning. I now currently keep several old machines around, for such "ripping" purposes.

For example, I purchased a new desktop computer several years ago to replace my old 2008-2009 era machine, when this 2008-2009 machine was still fully funcitonal. (In the past, I use to only buy a new computer when my old machine abruptly died). This old 2008-2009 era desktop computer I still use for ripping my audio cds and some dvds/blurays, but not for anything else intensive (ie. no video games, no web browsing, no programming, etc ...).