What's new

Buying used vs. new speakers (1 Viewer)

ChristianK

Auditioning
I have checked out several different Paradigm speakers and I love them. However, I don't have that much money to spend since my wife doesn't quite share my opinion whether it is worth spending that much money on speakers. But anyway, I can afford to buy new Mini Monitors, Titan or Atoms with whatever center channel I need. I guess I need CC370 if I buy the Mini Monitors as fronts, or will the CC170 work fine as well?

Now, by buying used through Ebay or Audiogon, I'd save quite a bit on those same ones, or better, be able to get the Monitors 3 or 5 for the same price as new Minis.

But this is where my ignorance comes in. Is it worth buying used speakers through any of these or other outlets? What would be the drawback, except of course no warranty or a few scratches, of buying used? For instance, if driven fairly average, how long do Paradigm speakers last? How many problems do people generally have with speakers such as Paradigm.

So in closing, should I go for the cheaper used speakers or should I just settle for the smaller but new ones?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Though I've bought nothing but new speakers, my receiver and dvd player were all demo's and my amp used. No problems whatsoever. At the time of my speaker purchase I wasn't aware of the various A/V enthusiast sites as I am now. I woulda bought used Studios then. I currently have a Paradigm Monitor setup which I eventually want to upgrade to Studios. I like the older v.2 better than the v.3 so either way I'll be buying them used.

Speakers can last decades if not abused. Just look for sellers with good reputations and hopefully you get honest use descriptions to decide who to buy the used speakers from. Most people on Audiogon seen to have higher standard/care/knowledge of equipment and sell well treated equipment at fair prices. Ebay isn't nothing to be scared of either, but equipment seems to sell at over inflated prices there.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Speakers are a pretty safe bet to get used. As long as you have pictures to make sure there is no cosmetic damage, there is very little that can go wrong with a speaker under normal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks