What's new

Onkyo HT-R590- No Sound Output...question regarding 7.1 or 7.2 (1 Viewer)

uncwgrad00

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy Morgan
New to the forum- 1st post!

I have a Onkyo 7.1 HT-R590 bought in 2011. The sound output is gone so looking to replace. My current speakers seem to be fine, so just want a new receiver.

-Is there any issue with buying a new receiver that is 7.2, given that I only have 1 subwoofer and do not intend to buy another?
-The specs on my HT-R590 is total output of 130 watts and has always sounded great- is there much difference between a new receiver that is only 80 wpc vs the 90 on my current receiver?
-Are the speakers fine to use for a new 7.2 receiver?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Welcome to HTF, Jeremy!

You didn't say what speakers you have, but generally, shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't generally push them too hard... and probably not to the max limits of your previous, more powerful AVR since the new one will be somewhat lower powered, but really, 80-90wpc vs 130wpc are generally not quite that big diffs in real world usage, especially complicated by how those are actually measured/rated/etc -- your old HT-R590 is actually only (deceptively) rated 130wpc into 6 ohms, not 8 ohms, which might actually be more like 100wpc or so into 8 ohms, for instance.

Also, those ratings are typically only for 2 channels driven, not all channels (though the front LCRs usually draw by far the most power), and sometimes even just 1 channel and/or only for limited frequency range (or higher than desirable distortion level), especially if they seem (substantially) higher than expected.

In any case, it takes 10x(!) the power (in watts) to double the perceived loudness (or increase by 10db), so whatever (likely modest) diff in power capabilities between your choices of AVRs will likely only help w/ (or reduce) a little extra headroom to help prevent any particularly noticeable or hard clipping if/when you push the sound levels -- some truly better AVRs (and power amps) rated similarly enough might offer better sound (due to other characteristics) when pushed though...

_Man_

Last edited:

uncwgrad00

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy Morgan
Welcome to HTF, Jeremy!

You didn't say what speakers you have, but generally, shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't generally push them too hard... and probably not to the max limits of your previous, more powerful AVR since the new one will be somewhat lower powered, but really, 80-90wpc vs 130wpc are generally not quite that big diffs in real world usage, especially complicated by how those are actually measured/rated/etc -- your old HT-R590 is actually only (deceptively) rated 130wpc into 6 ohms, not 8 ohms, which might actually be more like 100wpc or so into 8 ohms, for instance.

Also, those ratings are typically only for 2 channels driven, not all channels (though the front LCRs usually draw by far the most power), and sometimes even just 1 channel and/or only for limited frequency range (or higher than desirable distortion level), especially if they seem (substantially) higher than expected.

In any case, it takes 10x(!) the power (in watts) to double the perceived loudness (or increase by 10db), so whatever (likely modest) diff in power capabilities between your choices of AVRs will likely only help w/ (or reduce) a little extra headroom to help prevent any particularly noticeable or hard clipping if/when you push the sound levels -- some truly better AVRs (and power amps) rated similarly enough might offer better sound (due to other characteristics) when pushed though...

_Man_
I really appreciate the response. I am looking at an Onkyo TX-NR696 now...do you know much about this receiver? It seems like an upgrade (perhaps more middle of the road or higher end of the low priced models).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The speakers that came with those Onkyo HTB systems seemed to generally be pretty good for the $. However, right now, I recommend looking at Denon for a new receiver. A lot of electronics companies have been in a little unstable the last few years, and Denon is probably your better bet at the moment.

And, they are configurable, so as long as the receiver is capable of as many speakers as you have, or more, then you're good to go.

uncwgrad00

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy Morgan
The speakers that came with those Onkyo HTB systems seemed to generally be pretty good for the $. However, right now, I recommend looking at Denon for a new receiver. A lot of electronics companies have been in a little unstable the last few years, and Denon is probably your better bet at the moment.

And, they are configurable, so as long as the receiver is capable of as many speakers as you have, or more, then you're good to go.
Thank you for the suggestion- would a Denon AVR-S760H be decent option?

uncwgrad00

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy Morgan
Welcome to HTF, Jeremy!

_Man_
Can I ask you another question? I replaced my Onkyo HT-R590 and was going to toss it because I think the audio is shot....but then I thought I wonder if I could hook up my Audio Technica turntable and use my Large Advent speakers as a nice system. I tried to connect the Advents but didn't know where they should go (Front, Center, Surround...etc), so I tried different places but could't get any sound. I couldn't even get sound from AM or FM when I hooked up one of the speakers. Does this mean the audio is complete fried and I should just toss it?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Doesn't sound like it works anymore. Probably just recycle it, especially since it's just an old, entry-level-ish AVR. IF you're actually very handy (and curious enough), I suppose you might open it up and tinker and figure out what might be wrong -- and it might possibly be something simple and easy enough to fix -- but I'm guessing that's not you at all, heh... or you wouldn't need to be asking these Qs here. :P;)

IF you have a fairly precocious, (early-)teenage nephew (or niece) who loves to tinker w/ electronics, maybe pass it to him (or her)... :cool:

Side note: Don't know what Audio Technica turntable you have, but it might also need a phono pre-preamp stage, if it's not already built-in, that probably all modern AVRs do not bother to include -- that shouldn't cause any damage if fed directly into AVR AFAIK, but the result is definitely not desirable.

_Man_

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
For what its worth, I have my AT-LP120 plugged into an old Pioneer VSX-D412 that I salvaged from Goodwill (with my ART DJ Pre II in between instead of the built-in pre amp). Only needed the front left and right speakers connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks