What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
James Cameron's Titanic, The Christmas release of 1997, won eleven Academy Awards inclusive of Best Picture, and was nominated for another three.

I make mention of that because I'm going to break one of my cardinal rules, which is to never mess with the imagery of a Best Picture.

To my eye, it appears that a great deal of labor went into creating a new digital version of Titanic, inclusive of de-graining, and leaving the new image with a tightly knit vapor of "grain."

The production stock used for the main portions of the film was extremely fine grain, and possibly because of that, the resultant imagery is so highly resolved, and beautifully rendered that I not only don't have a problem with it, but applaud those behind the processing, which is in many instances other-worldly.

This is just the latest in a progression of technical achievements going back to IMAX blow-ups and dual-strip 3-D.

The colors and densities are spot on. Would anyone supposed otherwise?

Black levels and shadow detail perfectly replicated.

I tried to consider a 4k title that might be good for comparison, and only came up with Midsommar, which was shot in 8k on Panavision's Millennium, and down-razzed to 4k for the A24 release.

Trying to compare the two, Midsummer may appear a bit more organic, and Titanic a bit - not sure of the word to use - "crispier."

Not a great deal more to note. Audio is proscenium filling Dolby Atmos.

For those still on the fence about making the move to 4k and Dolby Atmos, and love Titanic...

This may be the one to push you to act. And you can blame Paramount.

A brilliantly conceived new 4k UHD release and another absolutely reference release from Paramount, and thus far what may be a unique processed 4k that is quality all the way.

For slipcover collectors, there's nothing special here. An attractive slip, nicely designed, and partially printed reflectively.

This is a release for which the actual disc is more important than the slip.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 3.75

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I have the blu-ray. I wonder if it is worth it to upgrade.
Oh well, I'll wait for screenshot comparisons.
Thanks for the review though.

I assume I'm in the minority here (or even maybe a sole exception), but I would prefer it if the goofs remained, as in the original theatrical prints:

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I speak for myself when I say that if Robert Harris is highly recommending a film especially one this important in this format then I don't need to view screenshots (which are highly compressed and therefore misleading) to purchase with absolute confidence. After all, this was the guy who led the team that saved one of my all-time favorite films, "My Fair Lady" way back in the 1990s.

It's simply a done deal!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Do you trust them more than RAH and others here?
I watch my blu-rays and UHDs on my pc, and not once have I seen something different than what caps-a-holic offers.
So, yes, no offence to Mr. RAH or anyone here, I trust my eyes and what I personally like or don't like.
For this specific release I want to see how radical is the difference between blu-ray and UHD, to justify any purchase.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Theatrical has always been 2.35:1. I’m sure it’s the same here.

3D was 1.85:1
The IMAX 3-D version that came out last February(?) was 2.35:1 ( I was surprised, because based on the previous 3-D release, I was expecting 1.85).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I watch my blu-rays and UHDs on my pc, and not once have I seen something different than what caps-a-holic offers.
So, yes, no offence to Mr. RAH or anyone here, I trust my eyes and what I personally like or don't like.
For this specific release I want to see how radical is the difference between blu-ray and UHD, to justify any purchase.

I'm not sure why people get so polarized (and overreact) over screencaps (one way or the other) regardless of who/where's the source for them -- yes, I get some sources/sites, especially in decades past, have been too unreliable/iffy, but not all seem to be though... at least if/when understood in proper light...

Like most anything/one else, they're just samplings/data points that probably don't tell the whole story nor are necessarily wrong/inaccurate or completely useless at least in cases provided by reasonably reliable sources/sites, especially if/when taken/understood w/ proper qualifications, etc.

Anyhoo...

_Man_

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The IMAX 3-D version that came out last February(?) was 2.35:1 ( I was surprised, because based on the previous 3-D release, I was expecting 1.85).
You sure?? I saw it like 5 times in 3D and they were all 1.85:1. In different theaters too.

Edit. Now I’m not sure. Just searched the net and couldn’t find any AR info on the 2023 imax rerelease.

Last edited:

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I speak for myself when I say that if Robert Harris is highly recommending a film especially one this important in this format then I don't need to view screenshots (which are highly compressed and therefore misleading) to purchase with absolute confidence. After all, this was the guy who led the team that saved one of my all-time favorite films, "My Fair Lady" way back in the 1990s.

It's simply a done deal!
I heard of that guy at Paramount. He used to be big

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks