What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I heard of that guy at Paramount. He used to be big
Gloria Swanson Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time
:D

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure why people get so polarized (and overreact) over screencaps (one way or the other) regardless of who/where's the source for them -- yes, I get some sources/sites, especially in decades past, have been too unreliable/iffy, but not all seem to be though... at least if/when understood in proper light...

Like most anything/one else, they're just samplings/data points that probably don't tell the whole story nor are necessarily wrong/inaccurate or completely useless at least in cases provided by reasonably reliable sources/sites, especially if/when taken/understood w/ proper qualifications, etc.

Anyhoo...

_Man_

This.

I find it rather stunning how Konstantinos is made fun of / attacked because he wants to check caps to see if the upgrade over the (very good) Blu-ray will be worth it to him. He did not say that everybody should wait for the caps to make a decision or anything like that but he only said what HE wanted to do. That was obviously enough to alarm the anti-screencaps police who immediately make some fun at his expense and it can never hurt to also propagate some falsehoods about screencaps.

Sorry guys, this is something that drags down the site and a harmless post like the one by Konstantinos should not elicit such a reaction.

Now back to Titanic that I am happy has finally made it to UHD even though it seems that it is more of a reinvention and less of a faithful recreation of the original release.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
You sure?? I saw it like 5 times in 3D and they were all 1.85:1. In different theaters too.

Edit. Now I’m not sure. Just searched the net and couldn’t find any AR info on the 2023 imax rerelease.

Here is a thread on reddit:

Seems like an odd choice to go back to scope for the 3D Imax version. Maybe whatever new work they did was only done in scope to save some time and money? In any case I can see how people would feel cheated when before the opened up version was supposed to be the correct way to watch Titanic in 3D.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I got to know Miss Swanson around 1981. In her prime, she was 4’ 11”. When we met she was probably around 4’ 9”. Extraordinary woman. She was hopeful that someone would someday find Madame Sans-Gene, which she shot at Chateau Fontainebleau in 1925. I don’t believe a frame has been found.

She had a small piece of 18th century fabric framed in her home that had been given to her from the location.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Depending on when the digital code was redeemed, your existing iTunes version of Titanic may have been upgraded to 4K Dolby Vision. I redeemed my digital code back in 2012, when the Blu-ray I own was released. My digital copy in iTunes was NOT upgraded to 4K. But people who purchased the exact same 2012 version and redeemed the code more recently have reported getting the free upgrade.

I logged onto my iTunes account using my computer. I was surprised to discover that Apple was offering to upgrade my HD copy to 4K for $7.99. This offer did NOT show up on my iPad or on my Apple TV 4K. $7.99 seemed reasonable and I pulled the trigger so my wife and I could watch the 4K version this weekend. Still debating whether I'll cancel the 4K Blu-ray I have on pre-order.

I briefly scanned part of the 4K version. What I saw was absolutely gorgeous! Stunning! OMG, this bodes well for True Lies and The Abyss.

:dancing-banana-04:

Mark

Last edited:

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I will buy the 4 k disc.Titanic is my fav movie by JC.One of the best endings ever.I have had the fan made version of all the deleted scenes integrated into the film for many years. Runs a brisk 3 hours and 48 minutes. Well hello Gloria!
1700924706052.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This.

I find it rather stunning how Konstantinos is made fun of / attacked because he wants to check caps to see if the upgrade over the (very good) Blu-ray will be worth it to him. He did not say that everybody should wait for the caps to make a decision or anything like that but he only said what HE wanted to do. That was obviously enough to alarm the anti-screencaps police who immediately make some fun at his expense and it can never hurt to also propagate some falsehoods about screencaps.

Sorry guys, this is something that drags down the site and a harmless post like the one by Konstantinos should not elicit such a reaction.

Now back to Titanic that I am happy has finally made it to UHD even though it seems that it is more of a reinvention and less of a faithful recreation of the original release.
You’re right and I was wrong with my comments. I have since deleted them and I offer my sincere apology to Konstantinos for making them.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
You sure?? I saw it like 5 times in 3D and they were all 1.85:1. In different theaters too.

Edit. Now I’m not sure. Just searched the net and couldn’t find any AR info on the 2023 imax rerelease.
I can't speak for every theater, but the one I saw it in definitely presented it in 2.35. Cameron released Avatar in multiple aspect ratios, so it's entirely possible the same was done for the Titanic re-release.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
You’re right and I was wrong with my comments. I have since deleted them and I offer my sincere apology to Konstantinos for making them.

Thank you. Don't worry.. All's well.

Apart from the great info and knowledge that is to be found here it is posts like these that make HTF one of my favorite places on the web!

VisionMan

Grip
Real Name
David
As a devoted 3D fan, let me praise the 3D conversion (one of the first) of Titanic. When upscaled to 4K and presented in 3D on my Sony XW6000, the added information provided by the Z axis (depth) adds greatly to the impact and immersion of this large scale, epic film. Bear in mind that there is a whole bank of cells in the visual cortex of the brain that are only stimulated when disparity is present in the images presented to the two eyes, in other words, stereoscopic vision. So maximal visual stimulation is only achieved in 3D. Now I fully accept that not all films, by any means, would benefit from 3D presentation, and many other aspects of cinematography are more important than inclusion of the Z axis. I'm sure the new 4K UHD release of Titanic looks fabulous. But Titanic is exactly the type of film that most benefits from 3D. I'm very glad that Cameron chose to spend the money to create the conversion

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We watched the iTunes digital last night. It's a gorgeous transfer, start to finish. The lively surround sound creaking and groaning of the ship during the sinking had our cat doing double-takes in all directions. Her head and ears got quite the workout. :)

I've decided to cancel the 4K Blu-ray order and wait for the price to drop. Once it falls by $5 or more, I'll add it to my collection.

Mark

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another note about film grain.

For most films, it’s the organic entity that holds the image together, and is inherently reduced by film motion.

Half a century ago, Abel Gance, working on his Bonaparte et la Revolution, commented that pulling his 1927 film elements was akin to finding containers of grain in an ancient tomb, and when giving them water and lightbulb brought them back to life.

Some films are held together by grain.

Others are held back by it.

That seems to be the situation with Titanic.

Reactions: PMF

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Depending on when the digital code was redeemed, your existing iTunes version of Titanic may have been upgraded to 4K Dolby Vision. I redeemed my digital code back in 2012, when the Blu-ray I own was released. My digital copy in iTunes was NOT upgraded to 4K. But people who purchased the exact same 2012 version and redeemed the code more recently have reported getting the free upgrade.

I logged onto my iTunes account using my computer. I was surprised to discover that Apple was offering to upgrade my HD copy to 4K for $7.99. This offer did NOT show up on my iPad or on my Apple TV 4K. $7.99 seemed reasonable and I pulled the trigger so my wife and I could watch the 4K version this weekend. Still debating whether I'll cancel the 4K Blu-ray I have on pre-order.

I briefly scanned part of the 4K version. What I saw was absolutely gorgeous! Stunning! OMG, this bodes well for True Lies and The Abyss.

:dancing-banana-04:

Mark
The iTunes version is even more complicated that than this. Even after signing out and back in on every device, my iTunes digital (redeemed via code) appears to be different everywhere I look, but nowhere can I actually watch the 4K version.

1. on my apple TV: even after signing out and back in, my "movies" app library is showing only the HD version. The "TV" app search function shows the 4K title card, but when play starts, apparently (from the info overlay) it plays only the HD version. Viewing my movie library inside the TV app, Titanic appears in the 4K section, but it's the HD title card, and it only plays the HD version.
2. on my mac: Titanic also appears in the 4K section of my library, but again it's only the HD version.

"I was surprised to discover that Apple was offering to upgrade my HD copy to 4K for $7.99."

An upgrade? Is that he way it was worded? I've never seen Apple offer anything they call an "upgrade". $7.99 is the current purchase price on iTunes. But I've also never heard of iTunes offering a way to purchase a new version of film already in your library. AFAIK the only way to do this is to gift a version to yourself through the iTunes Store iOS app.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I speak for myself when I say that if Robert Harris is highly recommending a film especially one this important in this format then I don't need to view screenshots (which are highly compressed and therefore misleading) to purchase with absolute confidence. After all, this was the guy who led the team that saved one of my all-time favorite films, "My Fair Lady" way back in the 1990s.

It's simply a done deal!
Dark Vader, you speak for me too

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
OK… This is going to anger a few people from the capsalcoholic screenshot screen grab groups.
But I took two screenshots on my Mac
Pretty much the same frame from "Titanic", 1997

Titanic Blu-ray / 4K UHD
IMG_3311.jpeg
IMG_3312.jpeg

Just look at the threads on Leo's coat
Look at his lips

There's some heavy duty detail I haven't seen since 1997.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koala
Recent bookmarks