What's new

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Is there anywhere to get this 4K for a reasonable price? Seems like Target, Walmart and other go-to sites aren't keeping it in stock (the last time I checked). Anyone have a link to somewhere I can order this affordably?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Is there anywhere to get this 4K for a reasonable price? Seems like Target, Walmart and other go-to sites aren't keeping it in stock (the last time I checked). Anyone have a link to somewhere I can order this affordably?

You didn’t tell us what is affordable to you.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
You didn’t tell us what is affordable to you.
Well, I suppose there's truth in that and everything is relative; I didn't want to pay more than 30, and while I realize that's what most of these new releases go for (and much more), I'm not a massive fan, so I didn't want to drop a whole lot.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Cheapest it’s been there is $25.xx so if you find it for that amount that might be your best option unless you aren’t adverse to digital on iTunes which has it for $5

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Cheapest it’s been there is $25.xx so if you find it for that amount that might be your best option unless you aren’t adverse to digital on iTunes which has it for $5
Thanks a lot, Tony -- I would be okay spending about that.

I definitely want the physical disc, but I appreciate the heads up.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The video is getting tons of views, and it’s funny it has screenshots from Mr. Harris in this very thread.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Well, I suppose there's truth in that and everything is relative; I didn't want to pay more than 30, and while I realize that's what most of these new releases go for (and much more), I'm not a massive fan, so I didn't want to drop a whole lot.
Deep Discount has it for $26.78. It’s on backorder, but you can order it. Because it’s not in stock, you can’t use the 10% off code, but because it’s over $25, you get free shipping.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The video is getting tons of views, and it’s funny it has screenshots from Mr. Harris in this very thread.
This is a great review, presumably created by AI, inclusive of an AI narrator.

But what it fails to understand is that these new 4k releases are perfect in every detail, as they’re precisely what the filmmaker desired his films to look like.

That is not to say that had I created them, without the filmmaker on board, that they would have looked quite different, using digital tools in different ways.

But I’m not the filmmaker, and when an archivist or post house works with a filmmaker, that filmmaker is given what they desire. There might be discussions, but in the end, regardless of archival staff, hardware, software or film elements, this is precisely what the release would look like.

The AI-based reviewer can submit all the problematic examples it wishes, but the fact remains that this is just it’s opinion, as to what it likes.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the Cameron films on 4k, I stand behind my review in that the 4k discs are perfectly rendered per the desires and instructions of the filmmaker.

Viewers are seeing his work exactly as he desired.

As an aside, it speaks of REC 709 vs 2020, and ”previously out of gamut color” on Vertigo, shot in 1957 on Kodak 5248 stock, which had fade problems. It seems to infer that color had been hyped in the restored 4k.

Nope.

That’s what prints looked like in 1958.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

But what it fails to understand is that these new 4k releases are perfect in every detail, as they’re precisely what the filmmaker desired his films to look like.

That is not to say that had I created them, without the filmmaker on board, that they would have looked quite different, using digital tools in different ways.

But I’m not the filmmaker, and when an archivist or post house works with a filmmaker, that filmmaker is given what they desire. There might be discussions, but in the end, regardless of archival staff, hardware, software or film elements, this is precisely what the release would look like.

The AI-based reviewer can submit all the problematic examples it wishes, but the fact remains that this is just it’s opinion, as to what it likes.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the Cameron films on 4k, I stand behind my review in that the 4k discs are perfectly rendered per the desires and instructions of the filmmaker.

Exactly!

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

As an aside, it speaks of REC 709 vs 2020, and ”previously out of gamut color” on Vertigo, shot in 1957 on Kodak 5248 stock, which had fade problems. It seems to infer that color had been hyped in the restored 4k.

Nope.

It's hilarious that people keep complaining about the AI processing in the Cameron remasters, and then post probable AI processed videos in defense of that fact.

There's a comment from the channel claiming that the voice isn't AI, but if that's true, it's a damned good impersonation of an AI voice, from the pronunciations to the inflections. It/he ends nearly every sentence on an algorithmic downward inflection, and syllables are enunciated in words that normally get blurred together by English speakers. And if the content isn't at least partly AI generated, it's copy pasted from other sources. And yes, filled with questionable moments.

We're all guilty of confirmation bias to varying degrees, but while there are plenty of fair criticisms to be made about these remasters, there are also much better ways to make that criticism than sharing any video that agrees with the point, regardless of how it was created or expressed.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Nope.

Right.

I enjoyed Aliens quite a bit, and glad I bought it. I cancelled my pre order of The Abyss because I just like the last 20 minutes of the film.
True Lies, I never liked that one.

And for the record, I shared the video because it was funny. Not because I'm pumping my fist at the sky, and cursing the name James Cameron.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Anyone that says that isn't an AI voice is a liar or a total dope. I could tell it was AI before I heard two full sentences.
army of darkness mr fancy pants.gif

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I've deleted my earlier comment because I didn't intend to insult anyone but I did not think that even one person couldn't immediately pick that out as an AI voice. I'm not commenting on the video or its content (even the AI voice), I was only pointing out that the voice is clearly a fake.

It's basically impossible to miss by the time the voice says "temPORal stability." The inflections are completely wrong. No human would say "temporal" that way, no matter if they were a native English speaker or not.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've deleted my earlier comment because I didn't intend to insult anyone but I did not think that even one person couldn't immediately pick that out as an AI voice. I'm not commenting on the video or its content (even the AI voice), I was only pointing out that the voice is clearly a fake.
I thought it was funny. I'm just old, and out of touch regarding AI voices. It has advanced so fast that I completely missed it.
Scary, I guess.

I couldn't tell an AI voice over a real one if you paid me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ElizabthOno
    Recent bookmarks