What's new

Paradigm vs Polk (1 Viewer)

dan^w

Auditioning
I am preparing to put together a new HT system and was hoping to get some feedback from other users on my speaker selection. I am looking to spend about $1200 to $1500 and I've more or less narrowed my search down to two possibilities:

Paradigm Titan or Focus
Paradigm CC170 or CC270
Paradigm ADP170
Paradigm PDR10

Or:

Polk RTi6
Polk CSi3
Polk FXi3
Polk PSW404

I've considered the Paradigm Mini Monitors with the CC-370 center channel, but that starts putting me into the $1900 range or higher (but it's still a possibility).

Unfortunately, there are no stores in my area that carry both, so it's difficult to do a good side-by-side comparison of the Paradigms and Polks. From reading the forum messages, the Paradigms seem to get a little more respect...

Anyway, I'm primarily interested in this as an HT setup, but will use it to listen to music as well. I am no audiophile, but I want something that will sound better that an HTiB from a big box retailer.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a polkhead, so I'm biased, but to me the Paradigms are a neutral-bright speaker and the Polks are rather laid back/warm. Pick whichever suits your ear. I think the RTi series hit really hard and as a result are great for HT application.

If you go used, try the LSi...thats where the finesse is. That ring radiator tweeter is the best I've heard.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Never listened to Polk but the Paradigms are awesome for the money. I started out way back in the day with Kenwood and Blues speakers, then tried some Yamaha and Klipshe and finally landed on Paradigm and stayed there.

At one time I ran the Titans up front and Minis for surrounds but soon upgraded to Monitor 9s for mains, a CC-350 (predecessor to the CC-370) center and ADP-170 surrounds with a PDR-10 sub.

The PDR-10 doesn't have much below 30Hz if you are looking for low-end bass. I'm looking to ditch mine this summer for a SVS or wait until this fall, do some fanangling and step up to a Servo-15 v2.

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
Since this is mostly for HT, I'd suggested that you look into a better center and a sub that can dig deep down.

Swans C3 $349
Swans 2.1 (2 pairs) $600
SVS PB10 $429
Total $1378 + ~$200 shipping = $1578

Unfortunately, the Swans 2.1 isn't in stock now... Happy hunting...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As others have hinted at, the sub choice in both sets are not very good. I'd opt for the SVS PB-10 also. It will easily outclass either of those subs at about the same price.

I noticed the Polks are all on sale now, presumably because of a new lineup coming soon, so now is probably a very good time to buy them. The Performance line is pretty comparable to the RT line, but I prefer the Paradigms. The Monitor line is better than the RT Polk line though.

Phil Hunt

Grip
do not buy the new polk lineup!
if you are going to go polk which i recomend!! go used and find there first RTxxxi line with blue drivers
like mains RT800i's , center CS400i and RT25i surounds they completly destroy the new RTI lineup hands down!

I recently bought 4 new energy C-9's and the polks smoked them and cost half as much my entire family hated the energy's

I have a complete set of RTxxxi polks in near mint condition for $1100.00 shipped i an not trying to sell my stuff but if you want good speakers for cheap find the older polks!!

i like this lineup so much i have 3 diffrent 5.1 sets
i hate to run out of speakers!

Joey_V

Second Unit

How are the LSIs being discounted? In fact, their price went up on the polk website... that's right - appreciating speakers!

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
If I were you I would move up to the Mini Monitors and cc370 and NOT get ADP surrounds. I would get Atoms for the rears.....yes they don't match but in all honesty with movie watching you won't hear a difference. ADP's are nice but they are costly and large. If you are going to do movie watching and some multi-channel music I think you will like the Atoms almost as much. With the money you save on the rears you can put that cash into the "better" front 3. I always recommend people skimp a bit on surrounds at first to get into the better fronts. 80% of what is happening is from the fronts. Later on you can upgrade to a better surround. I would also go the Hsu or SVS route for a sub. the STF 2 or PB 10 would be better than anything in that pricerange from Polk or Digm'......especially Polk....great speaker...not so great subs......IMO ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Check crutchfield, EVERY Polk speaker is discounted right now. LSis are now a few years old, so I'd expect to see an update.

I agree with the plan that Evan suggests completely. The front three make the biggest difference.

They aren't appreciating, they cost of goods is going up...

dan^w

Auditioning
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Based on what I've read so far, I think I might do the following:

1) Get the best I can afford for the front three speakers; maybe the RTi8s or RTi10s and the CSi5, then get my subwoofer in a couple of months, then upgrade my surround sound speakers last.

2) When I get a subwoofer, get an SVS subwoofer.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

LOL. Yes, they are a safe bet, and great performance vs money spent compared to most anything you will find in a store. There are plenty of very good subs out there, SVS just happens to be one very often recommended on this forum :) I've owned both HSU an SVS, and I have no problem recommending either of them.

Joey_V

Second Unit

BTW, appreciation in product price is DUE to an increase in something... whether it be materials or what have you. Imagine a house appreciating in price - isnt it because of the rise in land price? Same here... appreciation is an increase in value... it doesnt matter why.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Crutchfield generally puts entire lines on sale when they are trying to move them off the shelf for new versions. It was an observation.

Umm, it does if it's inflation. Cost of goods goes up, but your income does not go up at the same rate...so it cost you more, but it isn't value added. The speakers didn't go up in cost because they are suddenly worth more, the manufacturer is just passing on added cost to the consumer. If no new features were added, I'd be asking exactly why the price went up so significantly.

Land goes up because there is a market for it (location, location, location) and people are willing to pay a certain price due to factors such as favorable interest rates, stock market, availability, etc... as well as speculation which tends to drive prices up somewhat artificially, as is happening right now in certain localized "hot" markets. Nobody is speculating in Polk LSis.

I know we talked about this before, but I never thought the LSis were worth what they were charging for them before, so now they are even less attractive.

What I also find interesting is that right on Polk's site, it says "15% off on all speakers", yet they RAISED the price more than 15%...

Joey_V

Second Unit
I'll give you points for the inflation vs appreciation argument... semantics or not. You do not know exactly the reasoning behind the increase in price, so your speculation on merely the increase in costs might or might not be justified. But fine, you can have the nod on this one.

However, I still do not find your conclusion that the LSi are going off the market because Crutchfield is getting rid of them valid at all. Perhaps Crutchfield is just getting rid of their affiliation with Polk. As was the case with Tweeter and Klipsch a few years ago.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I hadn't thought about that. I remember when Polk dropped the local chain Good Guys as an authorized dealer, so that is a definite possibility. There was some sort of public announcement regarding that "separation" though, so why not in this case, if that is, in fact, the reason?

The Polk site also said something to the effect of "The authorized dealer may adjust the terms of the sale at their discretion.", regarding the 15% off.

I think its kind of funny too, Crutchfield is not a site I would normally recommend based on price. Polk has typically updated their other lines about once a year, but the LSis (granted they are the "top" line) have not been changed in a few years.

JordanRice

Agent
Does anybody know when Polk last updated the rti series, or when they will update them? I'm about to get some rti8's for the front, a csi5 center, and rti4's for surround with a SVS pb-10, but if polk is about to update the rti series I'll wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks