What's new

Source of Acoustic Anomaly in Yamaha YHT-4950UBL? (1 Viewer)

Tomac47

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas McClimans
Go easy on the noob, guys! ;)
Just picked up a Yamaha YHT-4950UBL and am *very* pleased with the sound upgrade compared with my old Sony HT-NT5 soundbar.

Everything's configured and running well, started testing sound quality with numerous DVD sound/action scenes.
Everything is excellent although I can already see the allure of better speakers (starts staring down the home theater rabbit hole...)

However, during the scene in Disney's live action 'Aladdin' where Aladdin enters Agraba, at one point scimitars are clashed together.
On a friend's Polk MagniFi Mini, that clash is sharp and distinct, exactly what you would expect, even when using my DVD & player.
On my Yamaha, that clash is dull and muted, almost unnoticeable.

I've tried every sound field with no change and that anomaly persists even when using headphones plugged into the receiver's jack.
Literally every other sound/effect is excellent (at least to my non-audiophile ears), I can't understand what could possibly be going on inside the receiver to cause this singular deviation from otherwise excellent output.

Any suggestions as to possible causes/fixes would be *greatly* appreciated!
TIA!...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know what the answer is, but there is no way it can be reproducing that one moment incorrectly, but doing everything else correctly. Either something is wrong, or what you're expecting is wrong.

BTW, sound fields should never be used, in my opinion. Just the basic surround modes, but none of those sound fields.

Tomac47

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas McClimans
I agree that there shouldn't be a single acoustic anomely when all other sounds appear normal.
The only other thing I can figure is the Polk MagniFi Mini's basic algorithm is somehow enhancing that particular sound and my Yamaha isn't?
I also agree about not using sound fields, but I tested them all just to be thorough in my troubleshooting.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Basic question -- what source are you playing the Aladdin scene -- stream. DVD. BD, ??
Is that the exact same source on your and your friends system?

Is there any other similar sound that is being suppressd -- cymbal crash or higher frequency sounds off a CD/LP/DVD?

Tomac47

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas McClimans
BD on a Sony BD player, exact same source (I even took my player & BD to her place).
After chatting w/Yamaha CS, as all other sounds/tests regardless of frequency are excellent I've decided to chalk it up to a fluke in her Polk MagniFi Mini that amplified a sound that isn't amplified by other systems.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I'd feel better doing 2 out of 3 rather than trying to figure which is the more accurate playback-- different audio system at least with the same BD. From the way you describe it seems the Polk sounds more like you'd expect from the onscreen action.

Or a different source (streamed copy maybe) played on the two audio systems.

OTOH -- sometimes things are just off on a specific combination without really a good explanation.

Have you tried one of the alternative audio tracks (Spanish/French?) to see if the audio results are the same? Not sure if your BD player has any audio adjustments that could be trialed. ?Bitstream/PCM -- doubt it would make a difference, but if you just want to mess with things?

I will also assume there's nothing on you setup that is restricting dynamic range esp on sudden transitions? Nightmode, 'Happy Neighbor" -- can't really remember what some of the modes are called

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks