What's new

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Weird that it's missing but since it's that scene, I can see how it was relatively unnoticed. Multiple people are yelling, there's ADR for the extras, there's the sound effects of the bench getting torn up and then smashed into the gate and the music is going too.

I must have seen Titanic over 100 times but if I didn't read about the line, I can't imagine that I'd have noticed it wasn't there with all the other audio going on.
Ditto. It still need to be confirmed it’s an actual error.

Reactions: PMF

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I hope it was taken out by Cameron on purpose and not a mistake. I don't know about prints, but it has been there since vhs.
Both seem crazy to me. How do they accidentally cut out a line and why would Cameron think after 25 years, "Eh, I think he should only say that one time"? If I was a betting man, I'd say it was somehow an accident.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Both lines are cut. I let my contact know, but I don't know if she can do anything, because Cameron's production company did the restoration. This is actually an audience favorite moment, when Tommy punches the guard.
I would say it was a reel change error, but not on digital, and not two different readings.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I told you there were two. After they bust the gate down, Jacks yells "Hey, let's go!" to everyone. The shot changes and he says, "Let's go, Rose." Both lines are missing.
I have a studio team restoration contact. That's all I wish to say.

• Appreciate

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I told you there were two
Actually you said one.

“There is a line missing. When Jack and Rose are trying to escape, he says something like "This way, Rose" He says it again a few seconds later. The second line is cut. It is present on the U.K. version.”

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Sorry, I worded it incorrectly. It is my Autism acting up! At any rate, even the foreign language tracks include the two lines. They are missing on the Atmos track on the U.K. version, but appear on the Dolby Digital track.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Both seem crazy to me. How do they accidentally cut out a line and why would Cameron think after 25 years, "Eh, I think he should only say that one time"? If I was a betting man, I'd say it was somehow an accident.

Michael Mann cut dialogue from Heat and the Coens cut dialogue from Miller's Crossing after comparable periods of time. It happens. Some filmmakers can't stop tinkering with their old work.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Mann cut dialogue from Heat and the Coens cut dialogue from Miller's Crossing after comparable periods of time. It happens. Some filmmakers can't stop tinkering with their old work.
Yeah, that's the norm for Mann but it would be the only time that Cameron went back decades after the fact to cut an essentially meaningless line that no one would notice anyway. IF that's the case (and I doubt it is), I'd be curious as to what made him feel the need to change those lines of dialogue. No other dialogue in his entire career bothered him as much as that?

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Yeah, that's the norm for Mann but it would be the only time that Cameron went back decades after the fact to cut an essentially meaningless line that no one would notice anyway. IF that's the case (and I doubt it is), I'd be curious as to what made him feel the need to change that one line of dialogue. None of the other dialogue in his entire career bothered him as much as that?
I haven't seen the film since its release and do not plan on purchasing the discs. Are those lines even necessary ? Are there actions so obvious as to render the lines meaningless ? Is it obvious that the lines are missing ? JC could have eliminated them and decided to just let the visuals speak for themselves (as the lines are exhibit A of unnecessary writing.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the film since its release and do not plan on purchasing the discs. Are those lines even necessary ? Are there actions so obvious as to render the lines meaningless ? Is it obvious that the lines are missing ? JC could have eliminated them and decided to just let the visuals speak for themselves (as the lines are exhibit A of unnecessary writing.)
Yes, it could be the case that one line- out of all the dialogue in all of his movies- drove him so crazy that he finally had to change it after 26 years. To me, much more likely is that someone screwed up. Again, I think both scenarios are nuts.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
If it was willingly changed, then the SDH subs are now wrong since they haven't been updated.
Otherwise, it's probably just a mastering error, like what happened recently with Rosemary's Baby (and also 78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers) (and probably others).

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
If it was willingly changed, then the SDH subs are now wrong since they haven't been updated.

Probably nobody gave any thought to updating the captions when Cameron cut the lines.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Probably nobody gave any thought to uppdating the captions when Cameron cut the lines.
If he cut the lines. We don’t know for certain what happened yet. Has anyone here actually compared the older versions of the film with this new one? I’m not sure anyone has.

Riddhi2023

Agent
Real Name
Riddhiman
Has anyone here actually compared the older versions of the film with this new one? I’m not sure anyone has.
I just compared. The two lines appear on the 35mm scan, the DVD releases, the HDTV airings, and also the 2012 Blu-ray versions of the film. It's only the 4K UHD's Atmos track which is missing those lines. It seems to me that it is a mastering error for the Atmos track, as it is present on the Theatrical DTS track available with the Disney UK UHD version. I assume it's the same as all discs handled by Disney outside the US. I guess when re-creating the Atmos sound mix, those lines somehow got deleted. It's also possible, they were deliberately deleted. Only Cameron and the UHD authoring team can confirm this, I guess.

Oh, and it's late Sunday night and it took me less than five minutes to compare all of those versions. So, yeah, I had plenty of time. ;)

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
2:11:12. Use the subtitles, because the dialogue is gone. You can hear it in the background on all of the audio commentaries, though.
Two lines are missing:
1."Hey, Let's Go!"
2. "Let's Go, Rose!"

FWIW, Those two lines are present on the 4K Dolby ATMOS stream via iTunes. Both audibly and in CC. Well, the first line is "Now, Let's Go!" then "Let's Go, Rose!"

I just checked it today. Perhaps the lines were missing earlier and Disney/Paramount fixed the digital streaming version already?

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks