What's new

"The Alamo"s Status? (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Kino (if they ever release it) will include the SD roadshow as an extra like the Twilight Time "Hawaii" Blu-Ray.

Getting in at least a 4k scan of the parts that are not in the negative has to be the least that MGM can do with the roadshow print, just the capture shouldn't be too expensive.

Or even better: Hand it all over to somebody who actually cares about restoring The Alamo and who may have some funding available, too. I hear there is a certain Mr. Harris who has made a very interesting proposal some time ago. Maybe he would still be interested and could put something together so it wouldn't hurt to ask!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Per public comments from MGM, the original 65mm elements are pristine. This means that a restoration is not necessary.

They should be able to easily produce a new 4k.
Is this where we burst out with wild laughter?
Why? That’s the official word.
Is it truly known why MGM had stonewalled the charitable helps and offers from archivists and film historians? What’s the true rationale behind it all? It once seemed that Gary Barber was the culprit, but he has long been gone from his former position. I’m assuming that the “Pristine” reports on “The Alamo” is PR double-talk; but would be thrilled to learn that newer progresses are actually at hand.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Very interesting. A Koch (German) release has turned up on that site that lists forthcoming Blu-ray releases, although I can't find it on the Koch site (yet). It's a three disc Mediabook release with the choice of two covers. Release date 12th May. Fingers crossed that all is okay.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Very interesting. A Koch (German) release has turned up on that site that lists forthcoming Blu-ray releases, although I can't find it on the Koch site (yet). It's a three disc Mediabook release with the choice of two covers. Release date 12th May. Fingers crossed that all is okay.

Cut version from a 35mm element.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, I notice that it gives the aspect ratio as 2:35 when it should be 2:20.

I'll wait for comments on the transfer...I still might buy it (I probably will).

Last edited:

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

Interesting, especially this info at that side:
Koch Films Shop exklusiv!

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Amazon had an HD 1080P Digital General release version. It has Not been available for over 1 month. When they get it back I am Buying it. I saw it on Amazon Prime 2 months ago and it looked Great. :) It's Much, Much Better than the old DVD. Tired of Waiting for a Bluray release ! :( Also bought 22 Classic Digital movies on Amazon in February ! :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Funny, in the last few days I've been listening to the great 3-CD re-recording of The Alamo soundtrack on Prometheus Records. I think it's Dimitri Tiomkin's masterwork, & who would have thought that The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra & North London's Crouch End Festival Chorus could sound so American.

...& I wouldn't be surprised by an announcement from Kino soon(ish).

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's the cut version. We Yanks are waiting for the uncut Roadshow version. ;)
The site seems to say that they’re releasing both the uncut as well as the cut. 2 BDs and a DVD.

MGM may have harvested an image from their pristine OCN, and then cropped the top and bottom to get to 2.35.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon had an HD 1080P Digital General release version. It has Not been available for over 1 month. When they get it back I am Buying it. I saw it on Amazon Prime 2 months ago and it looked Great. :) It's Much, Much Better than the old DVD. Tired of Waiting for a Bluray release ! :( Also bought 22 Classic Digital movies on Amazon in February ! :)
Some of us bought the HD digital from Vudu a couple of weeks ago for $7.99.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
MGM may have harvested an image from their pristine OCN, and then cropped the top and bottom to get to 2.35.

Ha, oh that desert dry sense of humour :)

I'm sure I'll be buying it, it's the only game in town for The Alamo. The release date is over two months off, & I'm sure it'll be announced in other countries before then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks