"The Alamo"s Status?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can't believe MGM would pass up the tie-in opportunity that is Spielberg's remake (due this Christmas, maybe/maybe not in theaters) to reissue the original WSS for its 60th! anniversary, possibly on 4k UHD... well, then again, maybe I can...
The problem is, the studio is in flux right now. They don't have the money to do anything. They are looking for a buyer. I highly doubt they would commit to any kind of restoration.

• Agreed
Reactions: SwatDB and DVBRD

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The problem is, the studio is in flux right now. They don't have the money to do anything. They are looking for a buyer. I highly doubt they would commit to any kind of restoration.
I’m hoping against hope The Criterion Collection obtained rights to restore and release WSS in a new Blu-ray or perhaps their first 4K uhd.

Reactions: AlanP

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
So I was watching Dan Patrick, the current Lt. Governor of Texas on cable News yesterday discussing a certain national health emergency.. In the background (possibly his home office), there was the obligatory wall/ bookcase lined with Texas-related books & memorabilia -- including, I swear, a rather prominently-displayed copy of the Director's Cut Laserdisc of "The Alamo"!

No, not technical-related nor is it a major development regarding the still unreleased Blu/UHD (of either cut), but I just thought I'd share that with y'all..

Last edited:

OliverK

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I’m hoping against hope The Criterion Collection obtained rights to restore and release WSS in a new Blu-ray or perhaps their first 4K uhd.
Criterion wouldn't be interested in footing that bill.

They might fix the current master which would be a matter of doing the right thing at little additional cost but starting from scratch with an 8k scan of the OCN and a 4k workflow would be cost-prohibitive.

Reactions: Darby67 and AlanP

OliverK

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
A Beautiful Woman. ........... Let's get this released on Bluray Please ! It's the 60th Anniversary !
If they do not have any further plans with it they should try to capitalize on the anniversary and release what they currently have.

On top of neglecting their library they also don't seem that business savvy to me. But then what can you expect from a company that was handed the Alamo restoration on a silver platter only to refuse it.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Royce Fox