What's new

"The Alamo"s Status? (1 Viewer)

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Been following this thread since the beginning. It seems to cover the same ground every couple of years.
I think it's worth (re)mentioning that you can nominate titles for the National Film Registry. I don't know how much good it will do, but having it selected for preservation by a government foundation would a positive step to push MGM into action.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I would be happy if somebody took the laser disc and released a HD Blu using it as the source.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I’ve not kept up with this thread for quite some time, as I became frustrated in knowing how those who sit at MGM appear to have little regard towards preserving the very foundation of a studio that’s been providing them with their own current careers.

If I had the keys to that city, I’d be honoring and caring for the collective life’s work of those predecessors who created the spot in which I stand.

Well, it’s Memorial Day; and there are those who go to the parade for its fun and social hob-nobbing; and then there are those who really know exactly why they are standing on the sidewalk. It is my hope that someone on the board at MGM will discover the same call-to-action bravery within themselves that is equal to those individuals for whom they may have saluted this morning. And most of all, to whomever this unknown being may be; please do so sooner, rather than later. Learn and research the definitions of “Vinegar Syndrome” and of the ticking clock that archivists are up against.

Indeed, the vaults within your reach are a priceless treasure trove, to be rediscovered. So please, be a pioneer among your peers at the office. Most assuredly, such an action will provide you with - short of family - one of the greatest satisfactions of most people’s lives. Yes, be a part of your own history, as well; but please, do so, before the parade’s gone by.

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I’ve not kept up with this thread for quite some time, as I became frustrated in knowing how those who sit at MGM appear to have little regard towards preserving the very foundation of a studio that’s been providing them with their own current careers.

If I had the keys to that city, I’d be honoring and caring for the collective life’s work of those predecessors who created the spot in which I stand.

Well, it’s Memorial Day; and there are those who go to the parade for its fun and social hob-nobbing; and then there are those who really know exactly why they are standing on the sidewalk. It is my hope that someone on the board at MGM will discover the same call-to-action bravery within themselves that is equal to those individuals for whom they may have saluted this morning. And most of all, to whomever this unknown being may be; please do so sooner, rather than later. Learn and research the definitions of “Vinegar Syndrome” and of the ticking clock that archivists are up against.

Indeed, the vaults within your reach are a priceless treasure trove, to be rediscovered. So please, be a pioneer among your peers at the office. Most assuredly, such an action will provide you with - short of family - one of the greatest satisfactions of most people’s lives. Yes, be a part of your own history, as well; but please, do so, before the parade’s gone by.

Maybe MGM don't care as THE ALAMO was not an MGM film and why spend money to restore another studio's embarrassing and expensive flop? Does not make sense to me especially when MGM could use the money to restore some of their own much more worthy back catalogue of films.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Giving those of us who don't have an LD player in their HT any more a good/easy way to watch the film (and scratch-resistant, to boot!)? :D
The complete longer version has never been on DVD or Bluray . Using th existing master and inserting the cut scenes ( which could be tweaked using the latest technology) where they belong would make a Blu-ray disc I would be happy to buy - and SCRATCH RESISTANT TO BOOT! I haven't been to this thread for a while either , but a discussion of this film with Bob Furmenek prompted me to stop by,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe MGM don't care as THE ALAMO was not an MGM film and why spend money to restore another studio's embarrassing and expensive flop? Does not make sense to me especially when MGM could use the money to restore some of their own much more worthy back catalogue of films.
Please, stop thread crapping! We get it, you think the film is a flop and isn't that good except for the soundtrack and final battle sequence.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

And what would some of those "more worthy" titles be that MGM could use the money to restore? And before you bring up titles like Around The World In 80 Days, Raintree County etc., remember that MGM doesn't own the MGM library prior to 1986. Those films are the property of Warners and they are responsible for any restorations. The film was hardly an "embarrassing" flop. It was, in fact, one of the highest grossing films of the year but like Cleopatra (1963) which also was a big hit, its over budget costs were higher than the box office take. By your perspective, studios shouldn't waste money on "flops" like Cleopatra (1963), Doctor Dolittle (1967), Star (1968), Heaven's Gate (1980), Hello Dolly! (1969) etc. I think most film buffs would disagree with you. I know Martin Scorsese would.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I’ve said this before, The Alamo not being restored and a studio not caring and saying they don’t care is very sad, but it also leads to a bigger discussion, for the people that keep saying this is a flop, what other so called prestigious films does MGM/UA have in their vaults that they don’t care about? If they don’t care about The Alamo, you can bet they don’t care about the other films. Remember, West Side Story needs a restoration, and it looks like they are not revisiting that title anytime soon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’ve said this before, The Alamo not being restored and a studio not caring and saying they don’t care is very sad, but it also leads to a bigger discussion, for the people that keep saying this is a flop, what other so called prestigious films does MGM/UA have in their vaults that they don’t care about? If they don’t care about The Alamo, you can bet they don’t care about the other films. Remember, West Side Story needs a restoration, and it looks like they are not revisiting that title anytime soon.

Interesting you bring up West Side Story. Was so excited to download a 4k digital version of the film only to watch it and see how dated it looks. That film definitely needs a restoration done on it.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
In all honesty, if the film was going to be restored, it should have been 15 years ago when the original elements were in awful but still salvageable shape. If JJ Abrams, Guillermo De Toro, and Alfonso Cuaron couldn't convince MGM to save the film, that tells you a lot about how difficult this restoration has become.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

No one ever asked them for money. Only access and permission.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy

For all intents and purposes, the company that existed as United Artists in 1960 is the company currently operating as MGM. The same company that gave Michael Cimino the money to make a director's cut of Heaven Gate, a notorious box-office failure, 30 years after the fact. Your argument doesn't hold up at all.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Interesting you bring up West Side Story. Was so excited to download a 4k digital version of the film only to watch it and see how dated it looks. That film definitely needs a restoration done on it.
And don’t forget all the issues on that anniversary blu ray. If they don’t want to touch these films then license them to the boutiques. It makes no sense to me that they don’t have to spend any money and they still don’t want to rescue these films.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
For all intents and purposes, the company that existed as United Artists in 1960 is the company currently operating as MGM. The same company that gave Michael Cimino the money to make a director's cut of Heaven Gate, a notorious box-office failure, 30 years after the fact. Your argument doesn't hold up at all.
And don’t forget, United Artists is a big name in reality television thanks to Mark Burnett. Shark Factory is UA.

Riddles

Auditioning
Real Name
Gus
If this situation means there will not be any revisionist restoration(and they are all revisionist restorations), I'm perfectly fine with that.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this stance. The irreversible deterioration of the film is preferable to a restoration that might be problematic?

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas

I can't believe MGM would pass up the tie-in opportunity that is Spielberg's remake (due this Christmas, maybe/maybe not in theaters) to reissue the original WSS for its 60th! anniversary, possibly on 4k UHD... well, then again, maybe I can...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks