What's new

3D Terminator 2 Judgement Day 3D (1 Viewer)

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
We went along to go and enjoy Terminator 2 3D and made a day of it as quite a few had in our screen. I'll not get bogged down in whether the 3D version is better than the original issue as we found this an immersive different experience altogether, so this is what we made of it.

The cinema was virtually full with a few late arrivals due to traffic and you could tell the film hand an audience of original fans along with around 50% new ones. It was nice to hear a group of young people say 'I cant wait for this to start' kindling memories of the first film for me and beyond spanning quite a few years. It was a nice touch to see Mr Cameron introduce the film welcoming its new audience along with its Terminator followers and as the titles opened a few gave a cheer which is unusual in a UK cinema these days but very nice to join in the Yay!

We donned our 3D glasses sat back and soaked up the new presentation of the film in 3D and it was nice to hear the occasional chuckle of the audience enjoying the humour moments all over again but didn't really take the time to spot the changes to it as we were busy enjoy the 20ft 3D film experience. Yes I did measure the screen... The 3D worked well for us offering some nice moments with a tastefully carried out conversion without going over the top at the same time, I have to say none of our group even mentioned wanting to see the longer version of the film as well. The projected image was bright and the sound was very shall we say crisp along with the 3D.

At the end of the movie we sat chatting to various people from different age groups who either were fans or had recently become one enjoying a new 3D presentation of this film and they seemed to like it in 3D as did I although for me there is nothing quite like being sat next to a 35mm projector watching a low fade film print of it.

Of the 10 screens being used in our cinema last night Terminator 2 3D had the largest audience by far according to the manager and that's a result. If it had another screening we would have all gone again but sadly just the 7.30pm show which was a bit of a shame.

10/10 from me and well done for a great experience Mr Cameron and your team for a sterling job. Bring on the 3D Blu-Ray in Oct!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I saw it last night in Century City. I'm not a 3D fan, but this was fine. I didn't experience eye strain and I found the conversion to be tastefully done. The projected image in the theater was much darker than I would have liked though.

Neil

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I caught this last night and had a terrific time! It was so nice seeing this great film on the big screen. The picture and sound at my screening was tops, and the postconversion was really artfully done. I agree items didn't pop out into the theater space much, but the sense of dimension throughout was exhilarating. I even marveled at small items, like getting a real sense of the distance between Silberman and Sarah at the table discussing her prognosis. And I never got tired of seeing Arnold point his guns at me, especially that long shotgun.

Highly recommended. Don't miss it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, how far back were you sitting from the screen? As you might have noticed in another thread, I have been immersing myself in more 3D blu rays recently to better train my eyes/brain to be able to process the 3D effects. What I noticed in theaters and at home is I can't see the 3D effect at all. But realized if I sat closer, I could. So closer then or about halfway to the screen. So I cannot sit towards the rear of a theater. I found at home, as I moved the chair closer to the screen, it finally works. If I'm at the distance threshold, then sometimes the effect works and sometimes it doesn't. Mostly doesn't. When I saw Avatar, the only thing that was in 3D was a console that Sigorney Weaver is using as she puts what's his name into the machine to first experience the Avatar.

I think I have an issue with my eyes and how they are not 100 percent even, I mean one eye is dominate over the other. I never learned to "fuse" the image as a kid they tell me. So I'm working on that to see if that solves the fusing issue, by watching 3D movies, amongst other things.

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness twice in 3D. Once in a standard theater, the other in IMAX. The IMAX 3D presentation wasn't as effective as the regular theater despite me sitting fairly close. Same with Gravity in 3D. I saw it in a regular theater and IMAX. In IMAX, I wasn't seeing George Clooney in 3D as well as he was flying around the shuttle as the film starts. I'll have to try the 3D blu ray as I have both. :)

That's my two cents. Next up, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 on blu ray 3D. Wish I could get T2 on 3D blu ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Josh, how far back were you sitting from the screen?

I don't know what the exact distance was, but I was in row G, dead center, in an auditorium that went as far back as row U. This is normally where I sit for films, and I've sat the same distance for virtually ever other film I've ever seen, and never experienced an issue like this before.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just emailed AMC about the poor 3D at the screening. I imagine the response will be more apologetic and form-letterish rather than delving into the technical nitty-gritty, but you never know.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I caught the screening last night, and I'm so glad I did, I enjoyed it tremendously. The film was well attended, and it was a good crowd.

I hadn't seen it in full since 90s vhs. I was blown away by how much impact the film packs, how relentless it is, how well-judged the pacing is, and thoroughly impressed by how just about every scene manages to get across everything that's being conveyed, and in a concise and stylish way. I'd forgotten enough that there was still a lot of suspense about which turns the film would take and how certain issues would be resolved. It's a highly effective, highly accomplished film.

I found the 3-D conversion very well-crafted and highly attuned to the dynamics of the piece. There were definite pop-outs, most noticeably of the 'weapon pointed out of the screen' variety. However the film is already so involving that many of these will go by unnoticed. Although the conversion is quite well done, I don't think the film offers the same potential as other retro-conversions I've been impressed by, such as Jurassic Park and The Wizard of Oz. I did think it enhanced the presentation overall, and will definitely watch it again.

At lot of different groups at the screening, young, older, relatives and friends, ... as I was walking out of the theatre I saw one fan had even turned out in full leather terminator costume, ... although somewhat less imposing than the 90s Schwarzenegger version. I almost burst out laughing as he debated with some kid who liked Rise of the Machines, vigorously denouncing that movie. Such was the fun atmosphere of the night!

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
As you might have noticed in another thread, I have been immersing myself in more 3D blu rays recently to better train my eyes/brain to be able to process the 3D effects. What I noticed in theaters and at home is I can't see the 3D effect at all. But realized if I sat closer, I could. So closer then or about halfway to the screen. So I cannot sit towards the rear of a theater. I found at home, as I moved the chair closer to the screen, it finally works. If I'm at the distance threshold, then sometimes the effect works and sometimes it doesn't. Mostly doesn't. When I saw Avatar, the only thing that was in 3D was a console that Sigorney Weaver is using as she puts what's his name into the machine to first experience the Avatar.

I think I have an issue with my eyes and how they are not 100 percent even, I mean one eye is dominate over the other. I never learned to "fuse" the image as a kid they tell me. So I'm working on that to see if that solves the fusing issue, by watching 3D movies, amongst other things.

I'm sorry you have that difficulty, and I hope you achieve some success with your efforts. From what I understand, such training is more likely to be successful when begun at a young age. 3D movies can even help diagnose such issues, so I'd encourage parents to bring their children to at least a few 3D screenings growing up. I hope you have fun exploring the world of 3D movies. They can range from 'gimmicky' to unimpressive, but when it's really effective, there's just nothing like it, and that's what keeps me coming back.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ed. I never knew about this until I was an adult. It hasn't been a problem. My eye doctor did say it's correctable at a very early age. But harder in adults. I doubt watching 3D movies will fix it of course, there's other things I'm trying. It's a definite challenge.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Nice to read everyone's experiences and thoughts as usual especially about the cinema audience types. This time round it does seem to have reached a much wider age group as we had quite a few upper age taking younger people along perhaps keeping in mind 3D screenings of many years ago for them, or that's the way I like to think of it perhaps.
As mentioned in a post previously it will be interesting to see what the 3D Blu-Ray looks like at home in October but we sure enjoyed the Cinema screening.

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Thanks Ed. I never knew about this until I was an adult. It hasn't been a problem. My eye doctor did say it's correctable at a very early age. But harder in adults. I doubt watching 3D movies will fix it of course, there's other things I'm trying. It's a definite challenge.

Nelson, you may wish to Google Susan Barry, "Stereo Sue," a woman whose sense of stereo vision was restored in adulthood. Likewise Jess Oppenheimer, famous producer of I Love Lucy, had problems with his stereo eyesight that were only resolved after he reached adulthood and pursued a regimen of special eye exercises proposed by his doctor:

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/Jess-Oppenheimer-Story.html

I am no medical expert, but I do happen to think 3-D movies can have both diagnostic and therapeutic value. As a child, I had one "lazy eye," and surgery was being seriously considered. Then I saw my first 3-D movie in August 1982. From them on I was insatiable: I devoured every book of anaglyphs and View-Master reel I could lay hands on. Not too long afterward, I graduated to drawing my own anaglyphs and shooting my own stereo photos (with crazy homemade equipment, in most cases). My eye doctor was astonished at the improvements in my vision.

I share all this with you in the hope it will encourage you-- encourage you to stay in close consultation with a medical expert who knows and cares about your situation, and encourage you that great improvements are indeed possible. Count me as one standing in your corner, rooting for you.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Nice to read everyone's experiences and thoughts as usual especially about the cinema audience types. This time round it does seem to have reached a much wider age group as we had quite a few upper age taking younger people along perhaps keeping in mind 3D screenings of many years ago for them, or that's the way I like to think of it perhaps.
As mentioned in a post previously it will be interesting to see what the 3D Blu-Ray looks like at home in October but we sure enjoyed the Cinema screening.

I thought Lionsgate had refused to release a 3d BD. Did I miss something?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I thought Lionsgate had refused to release a 3d BD. Did I miss something?

Only affects the US and Canada

UK, Fr, Germany, and Australia plus others already have orders up. Japan, Korea, and Hong Kong (Region A) are likely to follow at some time in the fall. The first 3 are Studio Canal and I'm guessing will be Region B locked. The Australian is Unive./Sony so a bit better chance it would be region free.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mike! I appreciate the encouragement. I shall continue to work on it and I do need to make my yearly eye exam appointment. And I'll check out the Oppenheimer story.

I did see Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1 and that really had some depth I could see!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks