What's new

‘Avatar 2’ Renews Push for 3D Format in Movie Theaters (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The overwhelming majority of showtimes in my area were in 3D - I’m not sure the audience so much “chose” 3D as much as 3D was their only option.
Obviously this is all speculation but I think Cameron (and thus Disney) is going to force the same thing for the sequel. I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of the shows are 3-D.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Here's is a very interesting short video about the new 3D Venice camera rig design Cameron is now using. It's quite amazing what this custom rig is capable of. For instance: Two zoom lens can focus and zoom independently from one another. There's lots of up close shots of the rig technology. The video explains previous 3D filming limitations and how this rig over came all them. Cameron speaks about the supposed "dead format", 3D. If I was a betting man...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just let it die already.

Oh, that dog you rescued from the side of the road with near-mortal wounds? Don't bother trying to save it. Let it die already.

Got a dream job you really want, but this time around, you lost out...aw, hell, forget about trying again. Let it die already.

Trying to protect your country against a super power with nukes that's willing to threaten you with them, just give up the resistance. Let it die already.

;)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Which seems fair, since that's how Cameron intends for it to be seen.

Disney was responsible first for pushing 3D on home video, and also one of the first to kill it off. I'm most interested to see how they handle this round.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Avatar is a go-to to demo 3D for home theater visitors. Glasses in place one can walk up to the screen and get right into that swarm of floating, biting creatures. Always have some antihistamine in stock.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wonder if we will see the return of 3d televisions or would a rebirth be limited to projectors in home markets?

Why would anyone expect a return of 3D televisions or any kind of rebirth?

It's become painfully apparent that the majority of consumers aren't interested in having the format in their homes.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Oh, that dog you rescued from the side of the road with near-mortal wounds? Don't bother trying to save it. Let it die already.

Got a dream job you really want, but this time around, you lost out...aw, hell, forget about trying again. Let it die already.

Trying to protect your country against a super power with nukes that's willing to threaten you with them, just give up the resistance. Let it die already.

;)
I hope we can all agree that the stakes of 3D's survival are far less serious than nuclear holocaust.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

It's become painfully apparent that the majority of consumers aren't interested in having the format in their homes.

I only need about 10 3Ders to finish my collection. Any others is icing on the cake.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Fewer projectors are offering 3D, but the most telling sign that it is finally going away is that the active 3D glasses from the most popular selling manufacturer have stopped production early this year.
Other companies will follow I'm sure

Without glasses you have nothing.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

But, Ron, wasn't a big part of home video 3D's demise a self-fulfilled prophecy on the part of the display and software companies?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Fewer projectors are offering 3D, but the most telling sign that it is finally going away is that the active 3D glasses from the most popular selling manufacturer have stopped production early this year.
Other companies will follow I'm sure

Without glasses you have nothing.

Well then, you better buy up all the remaining active 3D glasses. There's only 785 listings on eBay for the DLP glasses.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
But, Ron, wasn't a big part of home video 3D's demise a self-fulfilled prophecy on the part of the display and software companies?

The public wasn't buying the software or hardware.

People chastised Disney for being the first to stop issuing 3D titles on Blu-ray, but it wasn't something they would have done if the format remained profitable.

3D displays weren't flying off the shelves because consumers didn't enjoy the home experience, including having to wear bulky glasses.

At the same time, 4k was on the rise and 3D wasn't even part of its spec so display manufacturers dropped it altogether.

I don't know where the self-fulfilled prophecy comes into play here. I don't think either the studios or display manufacturers would have wanted the format to fail if it were making them a profit.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree, Ron - if the public keeps spending money on a thing, industry will keep providing it.

Look no further than regular, old fashioned DVD. Studios and manufacturers haven’t devoted serious resources to it since the era of Blu-ray/HD-DVD and HD-or-better quality streaming began circa 2005. And yet, the DVD format stubbornly continues to outsell more advanced disc formats like BD and UHD. A new release title today is still more likely to have a DVD than it is a UHD. That’s not because studios still want to be in the standard definition disc business; it’s because it still generates too much revenue to ignore.

If 3D discs and hardware generated too much revenue to ignore, we’d still be getting them.

The bigger/more existential issue is that 3D is a niche market, and the consumer electronics and home media industries, where all of the major participants are subsidiaries of giant corporations, aren’t interested in or equipped to handle servicing niche markets.

Robert Saccone

Premium

Unfortunately for me I bought my first HD set a bit too early and missed out on the 3D feature that came a bit later. Figured I would upgrade at some point and get the feature but before then it was gone from televisions. Given that there are still 3D titles being released on disc (I just read a thread on HTF about a new one before posting this) I certainly hope that at least projectors with the capability will remain available at least for the foreseeable future. I was just questioning whether a title like Avatar can make a big enough splash to make enough people want to see it in 3D at home. Probably not but hey even vinyl has risen from dead. 😃

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks