What's new

‘Avatar 2’ Renews Push for 3D Format in Movie Theaters (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Maybe Cameron will treat us to an Abyss 3D next?
Or, maybe...just THE ABYSS on Blu-ray in its long version, and preferably 2.35:1. Let's just get the goddam movie out here and leave any 3D conversion for later!

Kent K H

Supporting Actor

Attachments

• Glover.jpeg
    Glover.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 27

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
A 3D RealD conversion planned for September; If they make a 3D blu-ray, that will be awesome. Maybe it'll spark them to remaster JAWS 3 3D.

Source for which part: "Jaws" redone in 3D, or a remastered "Jaws 3"?

Apparently "BloodyDisgusting.com" announced the 3D "Jaws" first:

The remastered "Jaws 3" was just a hope, not anything official/announced...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I have said this over and over. Why not colorize the prints of the dozens of movies that originally had colour sections but only now exist in black and white? I'd love to see "On With The Show" and "The Wedding of The PInted Doll" number from "Broadway Melody" as originally intended. Would anyone object to that?

I can't imagine anyone would object to recreating something that was originally there. In fact, isn't that what Milestone did with the silent version of Phantom of the Opera? A portion of the Masque Bal sequence exists in color from a 1931(ish) dye transfer reissue print but the original "Process #2" color footage went on for longer than what currently exists. The Milestone Collection DVD (I think?) recreates those additional color scenes before the action switches to the roof of the Opera House. I'd be all for that (presuming they only use colors that would have been available in the two-color system, that is :) )

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wouldn’t have any sort of moral objection to it, I think it’s just a matter of it being an expensive process and those titles not being in any kind of demand that could recoup the expense.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Is there any real room for improvement there?
A 3D RealD conversion planned for September; If they make a 3D blu-ray, that will be awesome. Maybe it'll spark them to remaster JAWS 3 3D.
I doubt there is much room for improvement, as the majority of the film was shot in ArriVision 3D with chromatic aberrations “baked-in”. They might be able to fix some vertical alignment issues, but they’re limited by budget and available information in the negative.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I doubt there is much room for improvement, as the majority of the film was shot in ArriVision 3D with chromatic aberrations “baked-in”. They might be able to fix some vertical alignment issues, but they’re limited by budget and available information in the negative.

I can’t imagine there’s any desire or budget to take a second bite out of that apple. They put out what they put out, it sold what it sold, and that’s that. The current disc for Jaws 3D (Jaws 3) is a pretty accurate portrayal of what that film looked like theatrically.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

This is wonderful news, if only because it brings a neo-classic to 3D and into theaters! I hope this eventually translates into a 3D Blu-ray release. I believe Spielberg wouldn't allow a shoddy transfer go out the door, any more than Cameron would..

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I can’t imagine there’s any desire or budget to take a second bite out of that apple. They put out what they put out, it sold what it sold, and that’s that. The current disc for Jaws 3D (Jaws 3) is a pretty accurate portrayal of what that film looked like theatrically.

Yeah, my question didn't pertain to whether they would, as I agree it seems unlikely Uni would think there's a fan base for a "Jaws 3D" double dip.

I was just curious to know if there was something that could be done to improve the current BD. I suspected not...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, my question didn't pertain to whether they would, as I agree it seems unlikely Uni would think there's a fan base for a "Jaws 3D" double dip.

I was just curious to know if there was something that could be done to improve the current BD. I suspected not...

Not at any reasonable price point but if you had unlimited pockets, possibly. For the shots with baked in problems, you’d probably have do a combination of frame by frame painting out dirt/debris on the lens, and possibly convert some of the poorly done shots from 2D to 3D to get a fixed version. The kind of work that costs $10,000+ per minute of screen time.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Maybe the HFR renders even better 3D viewing? Maybe the glasses will be new and different and the image won’t have to be overly brightened to view? Looks like a whole new level of technology that he’s bringing to this. I doubt JC would go for a Motion Flow “soap opera effect”.
Did you see the 4K 3D remaster of T2? Should be made a permanent exhibit at Madame Tussaud’s.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
We all know of a guy named, Bob.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Money aside, has there ever been a reel he simply refused?
Flesh for Frankenstein initially, as Paul Morrissey expected him to do the work for free. It wasn't until Vinegar Syndrome got involved that he was willing to work on that one.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
This is interesting:

'Avatar' Re-Release Sees 93% of Domestic Audience Choose 3D for Their Return to Pandora​

The re-release was only in the theater for a few days and adds $30.5 Million to its all-time box office draw of $2.8 Billion.

Has anybody seen the Avatar 2 trailer in the theater with 3D?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
'Avatar' Re-Release Sees 93% of Domestic Audience Choose 3D for Their Return to Pandora

The overwhelming majority of showtimes in my area were in 3D - I’m not sure the audience so much “chose” 3D as much as 3D was their only option. Then again, the film is so closely associated with 3D at its finest that I wouldn’t be surprised if more people would have chosen it had both 2D and 3D showtimes been offered in equal measure.

Regarding the Avatar 2 trailer in 3D - absolutely! It’s played in 3D in front of every IMAX 3D movie I’ve seen this summer (two Marvel movies and the Jurassic World sequel). The teaser is light on detail and more about atmosphere but it had that same visual style as the original film and looked very inviting. I don’t think the trailer is going to make 3D haters change their mind but it does give 3D fans something to look forward to.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The overwhelming majority of showtimes in my area were in 3D - I’m not sure the audience so much “chose” 3D as much as 3D was their only option. Then again, the film is so closely associated with 3D at its finest that I wouldn’t be surprised if more people would have chosen it had both 2D and 3D showtimes been offered in equal measure.
I think you are right on both counts here.

For the record, my local theater showed Avatar in 2D for one showtime a day on a standard screen during the first week of the re-release's availability. Everything else was 3D, and all of the premium format screenings were 3D. Following the first week, they dropped the single 2D showtime altogether and played it exclusively in 3D for the rest of its run. This suggests to me that the 2D screening was initially offered as a courtesy to people who don't like or can't handle 3D, and then probably didn't sell very well compared to the others. So they got rid of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks