What's new

‘Avatar 2’ Renews Push for 3D Format in Movie Theaters (1 Viewer)

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Fewer projectors are offering 3D, but the most telling sign that it is finally going away is that the active 3D glasses from the most popular selling manufacturer have stopped production early this year.
Other companies will follow I'm sure

Without glasses you have nothing.
Not according to market research analytics firm, Technavio.

"The 3D projector market share is expected to increase by USD 1.15 billion from 2021 to 2026, and the market's growth momentum will accelerate at a CAGR of 7.62%".

3D Projector Market by Technology and Geography - Forecast and Analysis 2022-2026

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I don't know where the self-fulfilled prophecy comes into play here. I don't think either the studios or display manufacturers would have wanted the format to fail if it were making them a profit.

I guess it could be considered "self-fulfilling" in that Disney was flooding the shelves of big boxes with 3D discs despite said stores selling neither the tvs nor the players intended for them.

At least that's what did em in at Walmart.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I only need about 10 3Ders to finish my collection. Any others is icing on the cake.
Have you finished the new wing to your house to hold them all? ;)
I don't know where the self-fulfilled prophecy comes into play here. I don't think either the studios or display manufacturers would have wanted the format to fail if it were making them a profit.
Oh Ron, say it isn’t so. 3D was one of the most poorly introduced products of all time. A surcharge to watch a 3D movie, a requirement to buy a specific brand to get the “killer app” of 3D software (Avatar/Panasonic), not utilizing all that 3D can do, a snobbish attitude by directors towards 3D, a surcharge to buy 3D software. Notice I haven’t mentioned the glasses yet? Done properly with enthusiasm and not trying to gouge the customer for every penny he’s got, 3D probably would have succeeded.

But considering American business doesn’t work that way, yeah, 3D has no chance.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Have you finished the new wing to your house to hold them all? ;)

Oh Ron, say it isn’t so. 3D was one of the most poorly introduced products of all time. A surcharge to watch a 3D movie, a requirement to buy a specific brand to get the “killer app” of 3D software (Avatar/Panasonic), not utilizing all that 3D can do, a snobbish attitude by directors towards 3D, a surcharge to buy 3D software. Notice I haven’t mentioned the glasses yet? Done properly with enthusiasm and not trying to gouge the customer for every penny he’s got, 3D probably would have succeeded.

But considering American business doesn’t work that way, yeah, 3D has no chance.

I have built in shelves in my film room (storage room), but am going to have to buy a book shelf to store the overflow.

How's poster buying going? Any new ones and if so, care to share?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have built in shelves in my film room (storage room), but am going to have to buy a book shelf to store the overflow.

How's poster buying going? Any new ones and if so, care to share?
Nope. I stopped at Creature FTBL, The Mummy, and Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman. Ran out of wall space and WAF.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
From a Nov 30, 2022 Hollywood Reporter article:

He typically doesn’t have a massive opening weekend, à la Marvel movies, but instead holds or builds his audience over time. “We’ll know by the third weekend,” he says. “You’re not going to know by the first weekend. Titanic didn’t work that way. Avatar didn’t work that way.” Avatar, which opened to $79 million, dropped just 8 percent a week for 10 weeks.

3D, a huge part of the original Avatar‘s success, remains Cameron’s preferred audience viewing format this time around as well. But it’s fallen out of favor in Hollywood. “Ironically, it’s less in-demand and more available,” he says, noting that, at the time Avatar was released, there were some 6,000 3D-enabled digital projectors worldwide; now there are roughly 110,000. Cameron attributes the drop in demand to screens that weren’t bright enough and to the poor quality of films that studios began releasing after Avatar — 2D films quickly converted to 3D in a bid for a cash grab rather than something originally created in 3D, like Avatar. There are signs audiences will still pay for 3D tickets for certain films — when Disney rereleased Avatar in September, it earned an impressive $76 million at the global box office, more than 97 percent of that from 3D. One of the surprises of the rerelease for Cameron was to learn that teens and 20-somethings, who hadn’t been old enough to see Avatar in theaters the first time around, were the audience most enthusiastic to see the movie.

Inside James Cameron’s Billion-Dollar Bet on ‘Avatar’

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
From a Nov 30, 2022 Hollywood Reporter article:

He typically doesn’t have a massive opening weekend, à la Marvel movies, but instead holds or builds his audience over time. “We’ll know by the third weekend,” he says. “You’re not going to know by the first weekend. Titanic didn’t work that way. Avatar didn’t work that way.” Avatar, which opened to $79 million, dropped just 8 percent a week for 10 weeks.

Well, if this works out much the way he thinks, then guess I (and my friend) will be there to help it along during week #3 (1st week of Jan). That's when my friend will be able to join me on a Tues evening at the giant IMAX in 3D at the AMC Lincoln Square in Manhattan -- he'll be too busy w/ family and year-end work deadlines during this holiday season.

I have tix for a pair of prime seats (nearly dead center) perfect for this -- in fact, I had an exact same seat for the rerelease of Avatar in 3D back in late Sept, so know exactly what to expect for this. :cool:

And if this is as good (or better) as Avatar and actually has the legs expected, especially to stay on (or return to) that giant IMAX screen for another month or so beyond, I may well go again, which is certainly not my norm...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks