What's new

3D Terminator 2 Judgement Day 3D (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like it's region locked. Doesn't do much for me, unfortunately. .

It may be, it may not be. We won't know until late Oct or early November. Absolutely no way to know yet whether it will be or not.

Maybe by teh 2nd/3rd week of October somebody will have a test disc, but still plenty of time to either pre-order it or cancel if you get an order in now. The EU discs from Studio Canal unfortunately are actually more likely to be locked unlike most of Amazon listings

If not that one, the Aus. disc has a better chance of being open and worst case eventually the HK/Korea/Japan REgion A discs will likely be able to order.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It may be, it may not be. We won't know until late Oct or early November. Absolutely no way to know yet whether it will be or not.

Maybe by teh 2nd/3rd week of October somebody will have a test disc, but still plenty of time to either pre-order it or cancel if you get an order in now. The EU discs from Studio Canal unfortunately are actually more likely to be locked unlike most of Amazon listings

If not that one, the Aus. disc has a better chance of being open and worst case eventually the HK/Korea/Japan REgion A discs will likely be able to order.

The info on then provided link indicated region B

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The info on then provided link indicated region B

I'm aware and the usual answer -- it's completely irrelevant if you are interested in knowing the actual region status given the source of the information. Amazon is wrong on roughly 80% of preorders and not a lot better even on current release disc -- roughly equivalent to citing Mad Magazine as a source of scientific data in a PhD Physics thesis.

Zavvi shockingly (since they list nearly 98% of preorders as Region B) lists the same disc as Region Free, but that's equally as meaningless since there is zero way to confirm any answer. The only advantage to Zavvi is some post purchase protection is case they are wrong.

The best predictor is the distribution company -- SC releases tend to be locked in the UK, but even that is not 100%

Last edited:

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Interesting UK development. Some of our Cinemas are seeing an extended run of Terminator 2 3D as it is proving popular. Went into a cinema in Glasgow and they said they were doing well with which is good to know all the effort put into the reboot was worth it also noting Odeon for instance are running it now until the 14th Sept in selected cinemas.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It made absolutely no impact in U.S. theaters.

I don't blame the movie or accept that as a criticism of the quality of the film. There were just several factors that ensured that this particular re-release would be doomed:

- Theatrical repertory in the U.S. is all but dead; people will come out to see an older movie if the screening is specifically tied to a new release (for instance, seeing Star Wars Episode 1-6 being screened before the Episode 7 premiere), but will not come out for a standalone engagement.

- Pricing. My ticket cost me $20. When I bought the movie on BD, that disc was $5. You're asking me to pay four times what it cost for me to buy the disc which I'll have forever, just to watch it once?

- Availability. The AMC theater chain paid a premium to Lionsgate for exclusive rights to this presentation, so no other theaters could show it.

- Promotion. With the film only showing in one chain and with the studio having gotten money in advance, Lionsgate had absolutely no incentive to promote the film domestically. AMC dropped the ball on advertising. I saw several movies theatrically in June, July and August, and I never once saw a trailer for this at any of those screenings, and I never once saw a poster for the film at any of those theaters. Meanwhile, I did see posters for a "Star Trek II" Fathom Events screening that isn't even happening at the theater I saw the sign at!

- Showtimes. With limited availability and promotion causing a lack of audience awareness and therefore demand, the theaters had no incentive to give this any showtimes beyond their contractual obligations. At all of the AMCs near me, regardless of which theater, it was playing at the same times each day (give or take a few minutes): 12:30pm, 4pm, 7:30pm, 11pm -- I almost didn't see it because those times really didn't work for me. If they had offered showings at 5pm or 6pm, it would have been easier to see on my days off. If they had offered showings at 9pm or 10pm, I could have made it after work. But although all of my local AMCs feature 10 or more screens, T2 was stubbornly programmed on just one screen at just those times, at the four different locations I frequent. I finally did make it, but it was a pain in the ass. I don't know how much of a problem this was for everyone, but I was surprised at how rigid and limited the screenings were. Normally, if one AMC near me is showing a movie on a 12, 4, 7, 11 cycle, then the other theater will show it at 1, 5, 8, 12, or 11, 3, 6, 9, something like that. It's frankly unusual here for all of the theaters to have the same times - it sounds like this was about giving the minimum of whatever the corporate office asked for, as if they knew it was going to flop and just wanted to get it out of the way.

-3D quality. I really hate to have to write this, but the screening I saw had abysmal 3D quality - it simply didn't look like it was in 3D. All of the pre-show 3D stuff looked fine, and when I took the glasses off, I could see the double lines, but with glasses on, the movie was flat from start to finish. I saw absolutely no depth, no layering or separation of objects, and no forward projection. Nothing. I even wrote to the theater after the fact to see if perhaps there had been a technical error in the screening, but they denied that could have happen. Sadly, a lot of reports I've read from other people attending at AMCs have remarked about similar experiences. However, our friends from the UK have loved it, so one wonders if AMC had a systemwide glitch with this title that affected all locations.

Ultimately, I live in a populated area and am friends with a lot of people up on current events and pop culture and new releases, and no one other than me knew this was currently out on the big screen. It doesn't matter how good your movie is or when it's playing or any of that if no one knows it's out. No one here knew this was out.

And $20+ to see a 25+ year old movie on the big screen, when the Blu-ray version has been a bargain basement $5 title for a decade now, was too big of an ask for a lot of people.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Jurassic Park 3-D is one of the strongest 3-D post-conversions ever done. If he thinks JP 3-D's depth isn't impressive, then I think the issue lies with his inability to resolve 3-D details.

He is right about theaters not being properly equipped to present 3-D films. Outside of IMAX theaters, which have to meet IMAX standards, RealD theaters can use whatever equipment they want. Theater chains like Cinemark tend to do a better job of providing the foot lamberts necessary to project RealD properly, while others are a mixed bag. Unless that moviegoer is a 3-D geek like me, they likely don't know which theater they should go to see a 3-D film except IMAX, which costs a fortune for a ticket.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed

A redundant article that runs through the usual checklist of anti-3D nonsense, while making token mention of films like Gravity and Hugo to deny bias. The few points he is correct on were merely stating the obvious.

- thanks for posting this ...if only so we can get some pushback going in the comments. It's tiresome, but so long as such viewpoints continue to be rehashed again and again in the media, there has to be some response. It's always gratifying to see a good turnout from those of us who appreciate what 3-D can offer.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
The three screens in the attraction are about 2.2:1. So 6.6:1 aspect ratio on Blu-ray. Very tiny picture!

- I've never been fortunate enough to see the attraction in person, I hadn't considered that. I do know it was filmed at 30fps on dual 65mm film, which would be unique. Having skimmed through youtube videos of the film, it does seem to adapt reasonably well for standard aspect ratio, although obviously there is no recreating the original presentation.

Although on that note, what they should do before it's closed for good is film the live portion separately with a 360 camera rig for potential VR presentation. Once it's torn down this will be impossible.

gazadams

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary adams
why are they getting rid of this attraction ? The 3d and experience was mind blowing

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm sure there are a handful of reasons. Here's some speculation on what they could be:

-The licensing could have expired. Terminator is not a Universal property and it's likely that they didn't have rights lasting til the end of time.

-The attraction is no longer as popular as it once was. Last time I was at Universal in Florida, it was almost empty for that attraction, but everything else in the park was full.

-The attraction has a large footprint and Universal may have a better or more profitable use for the space.

-The attraction includes live action portions which necessitate the hiring and training of actors and stuntpeople. A more modern attraction would be more automated and would require less skilled labor.

My own guess is that the attraction is poorly attended, but because of its unique hybrid of prerecorded film and live action stuntwork, costs a lot to run on a daily basis, and that it stopped making sense to put that effort into something that people are generally not attending.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Thankfully the Battle Across Time documentary is included on the T2 Blu-Ray and so we can sort of relive seeing the real thing just a little.
Another fond memory was seeing Captain EO and do wonder if I hold the record for going through 4 times in a row to see it again back then.:)

Yes everything has its day and hear the EuroDisney screen is also having a complete makeover at the moment so does beg the question what next?

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Battle Across Time did have a good run of over 10 years so guess all good nay great things must come to an end although I had forgot just how long ago it was.

Reading about it sounds like T2 3D Blu-Ray will be end of Oct now perhaps being held up by the endo arm construction? Will have to wait and see...

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Only applies to Amazon. Zavvi has a release date of Oct 30 on their site.

Not I really trust either site, but for now I see no reason to think UK will have a drastically different date than pretty much anyone else.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yes but here we are 3 weeks later and still no release date.

WTF....

Wonder if there's any chance the release was initially region locked but seeing interest in the states they decided to change it to region free. I can dream, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks