What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: The Abyss, True Lies, Aliens, Titanic, Avatar and Avatar: The Way of the Water (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (4 Viewers)

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I have two copies of THE ABYSS in current shipment, one from Amazon and one from Diabolik.

Back when THE ABYSS was released on widescreen laserdisc, a Fox executive actually stated, "The world is not ready for 2:35-1." Fortunately, he was wrong.

When I bought the new DVD around 2002, I was saddened to see that they had simply ported the old laserdisc transfer without additional restoration.

I cringed whenever James Cameron was described as "The High Tech Guru," given the film's absence on Blu-ray.

Now, many years later, after numerous twists and turns and lots of blood, sweat and tears being shed, I finally expect to have the film on a Blu-ray disc. I truly never thought it would happen.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Back when THE ABYSS was released on widescreen laserdisc, a Fox executive actually stated, "The world is not ready for 2:35-1." Fortunately, he was wrong.
The first laserdisc release was the theatrical cut only, and was letterboxed at 2:1 rather than 2.39:1.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This is Canada. They severely limit our options here now. 75%+ of physical releases no longer come with a digital copy.
I'm well aware, as other will tell you about my rants about SDS. I also had issues with Avatar: The Way of Water and had to have Disney send me a replacement code. FWIW, I'm having issues with my Aliens code, so I don't think it's isolated. I just knew that previously, their exclusive digital partner was Google Play, and before that, iTunes. Never thought I'd miss UltraViolet and Flixster.

Last edited:

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Here's a tip for US customers: a couple of local Barnes and Noble stores are listing THE ABYSS as being in stock as of this morning. I won't be taking advantage of this, because those stores would require a round-trip drive of three hours, which I'm too old for at this point. I mention this because some readers here might have a nearby B&N store that now has ABYSS--at least until it sells out. Happy hunting!
Indeed, my local store had it. (Irvine Spectrum, in Irvine, Calif.)

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The first laserdisc release was the theatrical cut only, and was letterboxed at 2:1 rather than 2.39:1.
I vaguely recall that, and perhaps that was what the Fox executive meant by saying, "The world is not ready for 2:35-1."

Jobla

Supporting Actor
My two copies of THE ABYSS are expected to be delivered to me today, one from Amazon and the other from Diabolik. If even one of those arrives, it will be a great day. It has taken decades for this to occur.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I'm well aware, as other will tell you about my rants about SDS. I also had issues with Avatar: The Way of Water and had to have Disney send me a replacement code. FWIW, I'm having issues with my Aliens code, so I don't think it's isolated. I just knew that previously, their exclusive digital partner was Google Play, and before that, iTunes. Never thought I'd miss UltraViolet and Flixster.
My Aliens code actually worked.

But theatrical edition only. In HD. Sigh.

Also, Disney refusing to send me replacement codes for the two Avatar ones. Just telling me to wait until they resolve it with Cineplex. Sigh.

Midnight Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I just got an April 17th to May 17th as a delivery estimate for True Lies!!!

First week of April delivery for Aliens, and no still no delivery date for the Abyss!!!
Update from Amazon, now I’m getting True Lies on March 27th and Aliens on April 2nd. The Abyss is still…well…lost in the abyss I guess. No delivery date yet on that title.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I just received my copy of THE ABYSS from Amazon. Very glad to have it, although I do have issues with the packaging. The outer slipcover has one of those stickers on it that you can't peel off without tearing the slipcover. Now, I personally don't care about slipcovers at all, but that will probably be a negative for those who do care.

Of more concern to me is the fact that one of the three discs is stacked on another disc. The outer case is a double-case, but the set is a 3-disc set. I will make adjustments to rectify that situation.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Stickers are stupid, but then there's Goo Gone! Love that stuff.

I'm not a marketing genius. Does the absence or presence of a sticker extolling the virtue of, say, the long-awaited 4K UHD Blu-ray of The Abyss sway my decision to keep my pantyhose on and snap it up? Do these stickers work on uninformed buyers? I'm sure this must have been studied scientifically, yeah?

"Not too sure about this one but OH MY GOD THE STICKER CONVINCED ME!!"

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Stickers are stupid
I received my order today from The Atomic Movie Store. They had done a fantastic job of packing the discs in bubble wrap, prior to shipping, and everything looked absolutely pristine when I took them out of the box. Then I went to peel off the stickers, thinking they would peel off cleanly. Not so much. Now those pristine slip cases have scratches where the stickers used to be. Stupid stickers!

I suppose my heart will go on.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I received all three from DMC today. I was, although expecting them Saturday, but that’s ok. I’m going to start with The Abyss tonight.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I carefully removed the stickers with zero issues and no remnants from all three releases. Slow and steady is the key.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I carefully removed the stickers with zero issues and no remnants from all three releases. Slow and steady is the key.
I was careful and went slow and steady also, but the stickers had other ideas and ripped without provocation. The technology exists to create stickers that peel off cleanly and with minimal effort, so 'tis a pity that they went with the other kind.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Often the tracking will add to the site in 24-48 hrs after it's actually in the shipping stream though much more likely if it goes straight to USPS rather than through OSM.

Last 2 orders that shipping had the tracking added about the same time as it showed up in my USPS Informed Delivery page.

My personal order from early Feb dispatched. 2nd order made a couple weeks ago for a friend still processing
I believe DMC "drop-ships" from Technicolor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks