What's new

3D Terminator 2 Judgement Day 3D (1 Viewer)

LeeBob

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee Solheim
Per the Hollywood Reporter:

Arnie will be back once again as James Cameron is partnering with DMG Entertainment and Studiocanal to return Terminator 2: Judgment Day to global cinemas in a digitally remastered 3D rerelease.

See full story at:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/terminator-2-3d-rerelease-set-849272

Let's hope this will lead to an eventual 3D Blu-ray release!

With James Cameron at the helm, I am confident the 3D conversion will be top-notch as far as conversions go. I have still not seen the Titanic conversion, but from reviews on this site I understand it was quite good.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Love the movie, but was it originally meant to be presented in 3D?? I mean, it doesn't strike me as a movie that needs to be in 3D at all. Things like this always baffle me about Hollyweird. Meaning a movie that was never probably envisioned by the filmakers as needing to be 3D suddenly feel they need to wrap the movie in 3D just because they can now. I just don't see the point of 3D for a lot of these movies that came out 2D from the get go.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Alf S said:
Love the movie, but was it originally meant to be presented in 3D?? .......just because they can now. I just don't see the point.........
They can now with the growing ability to use 3D as a creative artistic skill. Same reason Disney gambled fortune and health for his vision of Snow White..

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
Love the movie, but was it originally meant to be presented in 3D??
The good thing is that Cameron has said in the past that T2 and Titanic were the two of his movies that he would like converted to 3-D so he's not trying to re-release his whole filmography in 3-D. Given that he is an authority on 3-D, I trust him if he feels that T2 would benefit from being seen in 3-D.

LeeBob

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee Solheim
To put some perspective on the quality of the work to expect from Cameron on this effort, here is an excerpt from the review on this site of the Titanic 3D Blu-ray's 3D conversion which was overseen by Cameron:

"...the 3D version of the film – a conversion – is an impressive surprise. Methodically performing conversion scene by scene and overseen by James Cameron personally, the auter’s passions and skills in 3D technology have presided over one of the very best 3D films available. An amazing sense of depth pervades scenes throughout the gargantuan running time,... Even in tighter spaces the depths is excellent. .... Shooting in native 3D is the best way to enjoy a 3D movie, but at times you could swear this film was shot natively itself."

The full review is at: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/317274-titanic-3d-blu-ray-review/

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if what appears theatrically will be the original or extended version.

At the very least I'd be disappointed if the eventual BD3D release did not include the extended version

And if nothing else, please do "Aliens" as well (if for no other reason that to allow me to see it in a theater)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
WillG said:
I wonder if what appears theatrically will be the original or extended version.

At the very least I'd be disappointed if the eventual BD3D release did not include the extended version

And if nothing else, please do "Aliens" as well (if for no other reason that to allow me to see it in a theater)
I'm betting it will be the theatrical version only. That way, 2-3 years later they can release the extended version and get us to buy it again. Or maybe never release the extended version in 3D, like Avatar.

Mr. Masters

Agent
Real Name
Stefan
Personally, Im not interesting in 3D, but for the convertion, they must produve a new 4K transfer(like on Titanic and Jurassic Park). The existing old transfer ios not good enough for such a convertion.

I hope, the make the new 4K transfer for all three cuts (on Alien an Aliens or Apocalypse Now they restore all cuts) and bring it on Blu-ray 2D also.

In my opinion a three disc set would be perfect:

-Disc one the theatrical cut in 3D.

-Disc two all three cuts with a brand new 4K transfer and a new soundmix in englisch and german

-Disc three with all exiting bonus features (Laserdisc, 2 Disc Ultimate DVD Edition, 3 Disc Extreme Edition, etc.) and a new retrospective.

A Digibook (black leather look with debossed title and Skynet logo) with a 30 pages booklett with all the great concept art would be nice.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
If Cameron is involved, I'd be surprised if they do stereo conversion for any other cut besides the theatrical edition. Cameron has mentioned many times that he considers the theatrical version to be the "director's cut". The extended scenes were originally cut by himself to improve pacing.

Mr. Masters

Agent
Real Name
Stefan
I dont speak about a 3D convertion of these cuts, I speak about 4K transfers fort these cuts. ;-)

And this is very possible, because Cameron restore booth cuts of Aliens and booth Cuts from The Abyss.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Love the movie, but was it originally meant to be presented in 3D?? I mean, it doesn't strike me as a movie that needs to be in 3D at all. Things like this always baffle me about Hollyweird. Meaning a movie that was never probably envisioned by the filmakers as needing to be 3D suddenly feel they need to wrap the movie in 3D just because they can now. I just don't see the point of 3D for a lot of these movies that came out 2D from the get go.

Depends on the movie...the 3D WIZARD OF OZ is the absolute best version of this film on any format! (And I've seen them all.) Even if you've seen it dozens of times, the 3D release is like seeing it for the first time...trust me! Also, JURASSIC PARK was filmed without 3D in mind. Yet the 3D conversion of that movie is far more effective than the 3D on the recent JURASSIC WORLD!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Depends on the movie...the 3D WIZARD OF OZ is the absolute best version of this film on any format! (And I've seen them all.) Even if you've seen it dozens of times, the 3D release is like seeing it for the first time...trust me! Also, JURASSIC PARK was filmed without 3D in mind. Yet the 3D conversion of that movie is far more effective than the 3D on the recent JURASSIC WORLD!
I agree. Wait to see what it looks like before deciding it's a bad idea Rumor has it this guy Cameron knows how to do 3D. ;)

pinknik

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
image.jpeg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Below full frames of Terminator 2 shot in the Super 35 film format. The Blue lines are for the 2.35:1 AR, Red lines for full frame when TV's were just 1.33. I'm guessing it will be released 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 for Blu-ray 3D, similar to Titanic.

t21.jpg

t22.jpg

t23.jpg

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Below full frames of Terminator 2 shot in the Super 35 film format. The Blue lines are for the 2.35:1 AR, Red lines for full frame when TV's were just 1.33. I'm guessing it will be released 1.85:1 or 1.78:1 for Blu-ray 3D, similar to Titanic.

Ahh! Happy memories of the wonderful T2 laserdisc box set (which I bought in September '97 from Virgin Megastore in San Francisco). This (along with the other chapters about the video transfer, SE restoration, etc) was my favourite section of the astonishingly in-depth supplement. Thanks for sharing, Ronald!

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
Any examples of the framing on SFX shots out there. None found on Google. I doubt that they would bother rendering outside the widescreen frame in 1991.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Likewise loved the Laserdisc of T2 unlike the VHS of Aliens which was probably the lowest foggy quality ever to hit the shelves.

Really looking forward to T2 3D and kinda hoping Cameron doesn't miss the opportunity to include 'T2 Battle Across Time' with it once we see the BR on offer. I do wonder if we will ever see 'Captain EO' on BR along with T2-BAT.

Titanic 3D for us was a outstanding job and a pleasure to see at the cinema and later home, if T2 is half as good at that I'll be a happy. In another way it is a shame efforts are being concentrated on enhancing older films instead of developing the Terminator storyline which I've followed since day one. Not against the 3D project by any means but I do miss booking a fist full of cinema tickets and watching the latest Arnie Terminator films, must be getting sentimental.. T2 will lend itself very much to 3D with all those riffle shots, bike scenes and the liquid metal.

Happy days!

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Personally, Im not interesting in 3D, but for the convertion, they must produve a new 4K transfer(like on Titanic and Jurassic Park). The existing old transfer ios not good enough for such a convertion.

I hope, the make the new 4K transfer for all three cuts (on Alien an Aliens or Apocalypse Now they restore all cuts) and bring it on Blu-ray 2D also.

In my opinion a three disc set would be perfect:

-Disc one the theatrical cut in 3D.

-Disc two all three cuts with a brand new 4K transfer and a new soundmix in englisch and german

-Disc three with all exiting bonus features (Laserdisc, 2 Disc Ultimate DVD Edition, 3 Disc Extreme Edition, etc.) and a new retrospective.

A Digibook (black leather look with debossed title and Skynet logo) with a 30 pages booklett with all the great concept art would be nice.
You know who to ask...Lionsgate (they have the video rights under StudioCanal).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks