What's new

3D Terminator 2 Judgement Day 3D (1 Viewer)

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
Tom... Old? I know the feeling although I believe I may have been nostalgic all my life. I wonder if T2 ever made it to Betamax.

Betamax? We are showing our age... ;o) Seriously, I think Cameron is over-estimating the staying power of "Avatar'. Yes, it was extraordinarily popular and profitable, but ELEVEN YEARS to wait for the sequel(s), and is the public really clamoring for 4 more iterations? I think Cameron is really gone over the top!

P.S. Sigourney Weaver will be 71 when Avatar 2 is released.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Rather exciting news for devotees!
The blu-ray Steel book ot T2 3D is now available to order from Zavvi in the UK. Must have been amongst the first to get it on back order.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I could be wrong but didn't they erase the wires on the quick shot of the Arnold 'doll' jumping off the tanker as it crashes into the steel mill way back on the DVD?

I find it kind of odd that they're putting Schwarzenegger's face on the stunt double because the double actually looks pretty good and it's not that many shots (probably just the few shots where someone is actually riding the motorcycle in front of the tow truck). Not that they should but if they want to look into fixes, they should start with the handful of lousy rear projection shots or the life size puppet that the SWAT team shoots up in the lobby of the Cyberdyne building.

I was on LAST ACTION HERO and his stunt double looked almost exactly like him, hair, build, etc.. They put on some makeup on the double for the lower half of his face and he looked just like Arnold.

I was on T2 also, but can't remember if they used the same stunt man.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Sorry to report the 3d steelbook from Zavvi sold out really quickly, nearly minutes I would estimate. No doubting the draw Terminator 2 still has even now also with added 3d

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Popped into our Cinema to check out any new of T2 3D marketing materials and the manager gave me a poster of War for Planet of the apes, what do you do! :rolleyes:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Looks like this will just be getting a rather limited theatrical release (primarily at AMC theaters, which aren't in my area) and no 3D disc release in the US. I'm not a big fan of conversions but this could've generated more general interest in 3D if it had been done right; will order the disc from Europe.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I love 3D as much as anyone (and possibly more than most), but realistically, I don't think a conversion of Terminator 2 was going to be a game-changer. The conversion of Titanic ended up not being a game-changer for the format, and Titanic is a more popular movie with a wider audience and less restrictive rating.

I think the bigger hurdle that the T2 re-release will be facing is that repertory screenings are basically dead. People are generally unwilling to spend money to watch something in a theater when they can watch it at home for free. One of the only repertory screenings I've ever been to that were sold out was the original Star Wars film -- and probably because it was a single screening only on a summer weekend afternoon, playing in an auditorium that held less than two hundred people. It wasn't a typical experience. And screenings of "2001: A Space Odyssey" that are specifically in 70mm sell out. The DCP and 35mm print screenings never do. I live in NYC, and there's a good amount of repertory here, and I've never, ever had difficulty getting a ticket to any of it. There are certainly a handful of us that will come out, but it's not something that's on the radar for the average moviegoer. There was a brief period around 2011/2012/2013 when theatrical re-releases in 3D were doing well, but it was almost entirely a case of diminishing returns. Disney re-released The Lion King and it did huge business, so they tried with Beauty And The Beast, which did significantly less; enough less that a planned Little Mermaid theatrical re-release was canceled. The "Titanic" re-release made decent money, but the "Jurassic Park" re-release that followed did less. The "Phantom Menace" conversion made a little bit of extra money but wasn't doing what "Titanic" had done less than a year previously, to the point where the studio declined to re-release the other films even though they had completed the conversions. "The Wizard Of Us" opened decently, but clearly didn't hit its targets, since Warner hasn't converted any other classic titles to 3D since. A handful of people will come out to see things on the big screen again, but most people won't.

So while I'm sure there are going to be some people happy to see T2 on the big screen again, I don't think that T2 was ever going to be the vehicle that made the masses enthusiastic about 3D again.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The 3D aspect doesn't interest me, but I have been reading that there's a UHD release forthcoming. I hope it uses a fresh 4K scan with none of the old sharpening gimmicks.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The 3D aspect doesn't interest me, but I have been reading that there's a UHD release forthcoming. I hope it uses a fresh 4K scan with none of the old sharpening gimmicks.
Terminator 2 Judgement Day 3D will be the version I want to get because I believe it will be carefully converted from the director's deep interest, and I believe the 3D will stimulate senses with the newly created perspective of the classic title.
4K, and HDR in 2D does not strike me as the motive for this to evoke the intended satisfaction of the visual creation.

Last edited:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
So while I'm sure there are going to be some people happy to see T2 on the big screen again

"Again?" I'd be happy to see it on a big screen at all- I worked at a theater when T2 was out but the screens there were (and still are!) too small to make it really worth going out for, especially nowadays. That's another thing the theater business seems to have forgotten. A new theater here actually does have a good-sized screen, but it's natively 1.85 and shows widescreen movies letterboxed with no masking. I went the day it opened but will never go back again because of that. I can watch letterboxed movies at home already.

While 3D conversions can look good, I think that mainly confused a lot of people about 3D because it made them think that ANY old movie could be shown in 3D simply with the push of a button. It's no substitute for a movie shot in REAL 3D to begin with- I would actually avoid buying many of the post-converted 3D movies on disc but then that would make it look like there's simply no demand for 3D at all.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
According to The Bits p, the 4K disc is Theatrical version only. Guess I'll wait for the double dip.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I saw Aliens and T2 twice each in the cinema on their original release, and while I absolutely loved them, with their superior director's cuts now available I have no wish to see the theatrical cuts ever again.

The Skynet Edition BDs have an abysmal, overly DNRed transfer, while the original UK and 2015 US BDs appear to use the same scan but minus the excessive DNR. They look pretty decent and the latest release will have to go some to beat them. However, even if it's an improvement but theatrical cut only, I'll pass.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Looks like I'll be first in the line to see it but looking around our region we have no shortage of screenings starting from the 29th August. Think we went to see our first Arnie movie around 1977, not really missed much since and its nice going along again and rekindling memories of previous visits to see his movies.
For me some of the 3D conversions have been very good up on the video projector, also seen some pretty darn rough efforts like the Laurel & Hardy film.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Well the posters have gone up, the tickets are for sale and secured ours with the screen we are in half booked already.
T23d.jpg YAY!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I'll be buying it in 3D. I've noticed that almost all the post 3D titles are creeping up in price on Amazon. Maybe the writing is on the wall...get 'em while you can!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks