What's new

Route 66 (1 Viewer)

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
Neal, did you find A Covenant With Death on your TCM recording last night? I recorded A Covenant With Death as scheduled here. And it is the newer remastering in WS Cinemascope at 2.35 aspect ratio, brilliant colors and filmed spectacularly in the old Santa Fe New Mexico area. It's available on DVD from Warner Archive. I just sampled my DVR recording and will finish watching it soon. I know I've seen it before on TV years ago, where it was cropped to 1.33. Not a great movie by any means, even with that great cast, but still worth watching for it's unique collection of Route 66 players. Earl Holliman is the accused killer of his notorious wayward wife. But the story plays out slowly with romantic subplots and character development with it's large cast. Another theme is racial tension between Latinos and Anglos. The setting and scenery is gorgeous. And that includes the exquisite beauties of Laura Devon and Wende Wagner (who did the diving and underwater stunts as a stand-in for all of the gorgeous girls who came and went on Sea Hunt and Flipper) George Maharis gets to roll around with both Laura Devon and Wende Wagner!

Apparently, this film was Gene Hackman's big break. Noticed here, he was soon cast that same year in Bonnie and Clyde...and he was off to the races as an A-list star with one box-office hit after another going into the '70s...

Weird that the only difference in yesterday's schedule between your TCM feed and mine was having The Badlanders (a good movie from 1958 with Alan Ladd and Ernest Borgnine and Katy Jurado who is also in A Covenant With Death)

Alan, I believe you're asking about Earl Holliman? The co-star on such shows as Wide Country and Police Woman. In the B+W Getty press photo, the man between George Maharis and John Anderson is Lonny Chapman.

Both Earl Holliman and Gene Hackman are still with us. Holliman just turned 93, and Hackman is 91! George Maharis just turned 93 about a month ago!
Earl Holliman, I can see it now. It’s a strange angle, making him appear gaunt and something about the eyes reminds me of someone else who I can’t quite place.

A dream series for me would be a well written contemporary show starring the three 90+ year olds you mention. Although Hackman has retired. It’s criminal that our surviving legends/treasures aren’t utilized.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal, did you find A Covenant With Death on your TCM recording last night? I recorded A Covenant With Death as scheduled here. And it is the newer remastering in WS Cinemascope at 2.35 aspect ratio, brilliant colors and filmed spectacularly in the old Santa Fe New Mexico area. It's available on DVD from Warner Archive. I just sampled my DVR recording and will finish watching it soon. I know I've seen it before on TV years ago, where it was cropped to 1.33. Not a great movie by any means, even with that great cast, but still worth watching for it's unique collection of Route 66 players. Earl Holliman is the accused killer of his notorious wayward wife. But the story plays out slowly with romantic subplots and character development with it's large cast. Another theme is racial tension between Latinos and Anglos. The setting and scenery is gorgeous. And that includes the exquisite beauties of Laura Devon and Wende Wagner (who did the diving and underwater stunts as a stand-in for all of the gorgeous girls who came and went on Sea Hunt and Flipper) George Maharis gets to roll around with both Laura Devon and Wende Wagner!

Apparently, this film was Gene Hackman's big break. Noticed here, he was soon cast that same year in Bonnie and Clyde...and he was off to the races as an A-list star with one box-office hit after another going into the '70s...

Weird that the only difference in yesterday's schedule between your TCM feed and mine was having The Badlanders (a good movie from 1958 with Alan Ladd and Ernest Borgnine and Katy Jurado who is also in A Covenant With Death)
Not yet Randall. I'm out of town in Manhattan for the next few days. Greenwich Village where 1 out of every 3 women on the streets here look like Laura Devon!!!! Can't take too much more of this! :)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
icon_e_breaking_news.gif

If you do not currently own the greatest show in the history of television, now is the time to do so.
This Amazon sale is the lowest price I've ever seen for The Complete Series!!
(Sale Ends at 3am EST)

Route 66 - S02E03 Goodnight Sweet Blues (Oct.06.1961)

A teaser from one of the most sweetest and touching episodes of the series.

A photo essay of "Goodnight Sweet Blues" is coming one week from today and I tell you it's gonna be fabulous!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Randall I found The Bad-landers in my DVR!!
icon_e_angry.gif

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
View attachment 116236

If you do not currently own the greatest show in the history of television, now is the time to do so.
This Amazon sale is the lowest price I've ever seen for The Complete Series!!
(Sale Ends at 3am EST)

Route 66 - S02E03 Goodnight Sweet Blues (Oct.06.1961)

View attachment 116240

A teaser from one of the most sweetest and touching episodes of the series.

A photo essay of "Goodnight Sweet Blues" is coming one week from today and I tell you it's gonna be fabulous!

I wanted to tell you all a brief story and just why I chose to do a photo essay of Goodnight Sweet Blues tonight. Recently my family had an emergency with my 96 year old mother. Thankfully she’s on the road to recovery now. My brother and I hired a few wonderful round the clock aides to care for her. One of them is Cynthia a very wise and spiritual 63 year-old Pentecostal Christian. During her breaks we sat and talked. She told me about herself and that she’s been caring for the elderly for over 30 years and how much she enjoys doing so. I asked her if she ever heard of Route 66. She said she had but never saw an episode. I thought to myself I bet she’d enjoy Goodnight Sweet Blues because Jennie Henderson was such a spiritual woman just like Cynthia is. Well I was correct. She was laughing and thanking the lord throughout the episode. Screaming to me, ”why that Buz so upset?, that Tod such a good man, who that her daughter?, ohh she gonna die I know it!!

It was quite an experience just watching her react to her very first Route 66 episode. She asked to see more shows but we didn’t have the chance. I’m going to buy her the entire series as a thank you for taking such good care of my mother.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Randall I found The Bad-landers in my DVR!! View attachment 116369
I wouldn't be too angry about that, Neal...The Badlanders is a rock solid western with a great cast. Watch and enjoy! :)

Very glad to hear that you're mother is doing much better! And thanks for the photo essay on "Goodnight, Sweet Blues"...looks like quite a good episode.

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I wouldn't be too angry about that, Neal...The Badlanders is a rock solid western with a great cast. Watch and enjoy! :)

Very glad to hear that you're mother is doing much better! And thanks for the photo essay on "Goodnight, Sweet Blues"...looks like quite a good episode.
Too late, I deleted it!

Thanks very much Jeff!

Uh oh, don't view that photo essay if you haven't seen "Goodnight, Sweet Blues"!!
icon_e_no.gif

Oops too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks