What's new

Route 66 (2 Viewers)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
There are few forums on Route 66, but they mostly deal with a particular released.

I have the complete series on dvd and decided to watch it for the first time. I really like the character interaction between Tod and his partners. Tod (Martin Milner) is a very good person, especially having a heart to care or help people.

I watched some episodes from S2 and it is amazing to see some of the up and coming stars of the 1970s/1980s on the show. There are episodes with Robert Duval, Robert Redford and even some hotties of the time like Anne Baxter or other gorgeous females.

I recommend this show to any classic TV show buff as it is very well written and has actors that you can really get into their characters!

Regards,
Paul Young

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
wapld5.jpg

I hadn't seen any of this show before the DVD releases. I admit that at first, this show was a little slow for me to appreciate it but I'm into S2 now and I'm "getting my kicks on Route 66".

155qkic.jpg

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Most TV series and movies from the sixties and seventies will seem 'slow' to someone accustomed to today's standards, just as that era's lesser use of music in the background, something so common today even during dialogue.
It's not a problem for me -I prefer the 'old school' and feel I don't need a crashing sound to inform me that someone has opened the door- but I feel that what most attract the modern viewer about Route 66 is the quality of the writing... yes, it sometimes goes overboard and becomes too literary, but very often -mostly in Stirling Silliphant's scripts- it really is able to reach incredible heights.
Anyway, Martin Milner once said in an interview that, of every four Route 66 episodes, one could be 'very bad', two could be 'average', but then one...could be really something.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You might want to scan through this following thread where many of us commented on the seasons as the sets came out and I did a mini-review of each episode starting in the second season. Keep in mind this is not an 'action' show, but a 'character' show, so it's never about the pace, but the personalities, and Buz and Tod were just the conduits for the story and character being introduced. Also, appreciate it was one of the only shows in the sixties to shoot on locations throughout the United States. Even "The Fugitive" series was primarily filmed in L.A. subbing for other locations around the country.

Anyway, check this thread out if you like... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/254186-best-of-route-66/page-24

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hollywoodaholic said:
You might want to scan through this following thread where many of us commented on the seasons as the sets came out and I did a mini-review of each episode starting in the second season. Keep in mind this is not an 'action' show, but a 'character' show, so it's never about the pace, but the personalities, and Buz and Tod were just the conduits for the story and character being introduced. Also, appreciate it was one of the only shows in the sixties to shoot on locations throughout the United States. Even "The Fugitive" series was primarily filmed in L.A. subbing for other locations around the country.

Anyway, check this thread out if you like... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/254186-best-of-route-66/page-24
I agree with your comments, but my comments were more on development of the plots and flow at times with the show. I have similar issues with other shows until I watched few episodes and get used to play between the actors as well as how they deal with the plots. I have watched a few episodes now and I am hooked. I got hooked on many shows from the 50s and 60s due to acting/scripts!

Susan Nunes_329977

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Route 66 remains one of the greatest television shows ever broadcast. The greatness of the show lies not with the actors or even the characters but in the quality of the stories and of the issues the episodes were trying to raise. Much of it is pretty deep, and it can go way over one's head at times.

Route 66 was, like Wagon Train, basically an anthology series and ran at the end of the anthology era. The plots revolved around the guest stars' characters and the problems they faced.

I enjoyed the show as much when Glenn Corbett was in it as when George Maharis was in it. They played two different characters, with two completely different ways of handling problems.

Corbett was a much underrated actor.

The only really bad episodes were the last two. They were just awful, unwatchable even but for the last scene or two, but they don't kill the overall greatness of the series.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You definitely get the feeling Silliphant just said 'screw it' when he scripted that 'comic' finale two-parter, but I bet there was a good cast and crew party around it.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
I've always asked myself when the Route 66 producers got started in preparing the series finale... was it in mid-season? Or did they start the fourth season knowing it would be the show's last? If they knew the series was being cancelled in mid season, maybe that would explain that finale as a somewhat rushed job in an attempt to close the series informing the viewers what finally happened to the protagonists, something that wasn't that common in those days...

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I still have never seen an episode of Route 66. I recently made up a list of old TV series I've never seen and it's a long one. But Route 66 is a priority.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The complete series is at Costco for $75. There are very few shows that hold up as well or reward additional viewings as Route 66. It's one of the few series that will never leave my collection. Don't base a show on any gimmicks, technology, trends and just stick to great characters, dialogue and story and you have something timeless.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Hollywoodaholic said:
The complete series is at Costco for $75. There are very few shows that hold up as well or reward additional viewings as Route 66. It's one of the few series that will never leave my collection. Don't base a show on any gimmicks, technology, trends and just stick to great characters, dialogue and story and you have something timeless.
Because of recommendations from this forum, The Fugitive and Route 66 are my two favorite dramas of the 60s and two of the best in television history IMO. I had never seen an episode before discovering this forum. Thanks everyone!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Wow talk about a shock. I got my complete series set today for Route 66 (Shout Factory) and I thought for sure I read that Shout did season 1 as 1.33:1 but I guess it is just the crappy 16:9 widescreen formatted version.

I have looked all over the net and some people mention the 16:9 widescreen but they seem to believe it was only on part of the infinity DVD releases, I don't seem to read any complaining about Season 1 in widescreen for the Shout Factory releases.

Have there been any season 1 DVD releases that show it in 4:3? All the news listings even on tvshowsonDVD don't even mention any bad news regarding the aspect ratio for the old Infinity S1 releases. Same with the Amazon reviews no one seems to say much about aspect ratios. One person on the Shout release under someone else's review stated the SHOUT S1 at least had the episodes in 4:3 but that is incorrect because my set is 16:9.

Did I just get a bad SHOUT factory set?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Powell&Pressburger said:
Wow talk about a shock. I got my complete series set today for Route 66 (Shout Factory) and I thought for sure I read that Shout did season 1 as 1.33:1 but I guess it is just the crappy 16:9 widescreen formatted version.

I have looked all over the net and some people mention the 16:9 widescreen but they seem to believe it was only on part of the infinity DVD releases, I don't seem to read any complaining about Season 1 in widescreen for the Shout Factory releases.

Have there been any season 1 DVD releases that show it in 4:3? All the news listings even on tvshowsonDVD don't even mention any bad news regarding the aspect ratio for the old Infinity S1 releases. Same with the Amazon reviews no one seems to say much about aspect ratios. One person on the Shout release under someone else's review stated the SHOUT S1 at least had the episodes in 4:3 but that is incorrect because my set is 16:9.

Did I just get a bad SHOUT factory set?

This is news to me. I have the complete series Shout set and Season 1 is 4:3 unless I stretch it. My big complaint is that Season 1 is still the bad picture quality of the original Infinity set. This improved considerably by Season 2, but those first 15 episodes are atrocious.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
That is what I thought also! I have popped in multiple discs into the player and I always ALWAYS watch my titles correctly with TV shows etc. I'm not one to have my settings wrong.

Just seems really odd. I will pop in Season 2 disc and see if those are correct. I own dozens of Shout Factory TV shows in 4:3 and never had the issue.

Thanks for that help.

UPDATE: Tweeted Brian Ward to ask if there was an issue with any discs presenting them in 16:9 he says they should be 1.33:1 So I will check my box set when I get home possible on another player. Just seems odd with all the shows I watch for full frame presentations I never had a show do this.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I got home and tested out my discs more.(the issue originated on my bedroom TV / Blu-Player) It was odd some episodes throughout the series would play as if they were 16:9 and others would play in 4:3 mode. It was odd.

So next I popped in the same discs into my iMac and they all played correctly in 4:3. So then downstairs to the home theater room and they all played correctly in 4:3.

I know many have their settings jumbled but I have NEVER watched anything in the wrong 16:9 settings etc. It just seems like my bedroom BLU player doesn't like to play the episodes in 4:3 since I watch every other show on that tv. everything all studios. examples like Dark Shadows, Maude, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, Murder, She Wrote, WKRP, The Jeffersons, The Saint, Adam-12, Rockford Files, Spenser for Hire... You get the idea this is just a bizarre instance where that player and tv settings no matter how I tweak it doesn't like playing Route 66 correctly on specific episodes.

At least I got it cleared up and I know I can watch them on my main TV. Just odd. Thanks :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Powell&Pressburger said:
I got home and tested out my discs more.(the issue originated on my bedroom TV / Blu-Player) It was odd some episodes throughout the series would play as if they were 16:9 and others would play in 4:3 mode. It was odd.

So next I popped in the same discs into my iMac and they all played correctly in 4:3. So then downstairs to the home theater room and they all played correctly in 4:3.

I know many have their settings jumbled but I have NEVER watched anything in the wrong 16:9 settings etc. It just seems like my bedroom BLU player doesn't like to play the episodes in 4:3 since I watch every other show on that tv. everything all studios. examples like Dark Shadows, Maude, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, Murder, She Wrote, WKRP, The Jeffersons, The Saint, Adam-12, Rockford Files, Spenser for Hire... You get the idea this is just a bizarre instance where that player and tv settings no matter how I tweak it doesn't like playing Route 66 correctly on specific episodes.

At least I got it cleared up and I know I can watch them on my main TV. Just odd. Thanks :)

Glad you resolved that mystery (or found another platform to view it). Enjoy one of the best character written series every aired (and that holds up quite well). Stirling Silliphant (the principal writer/creator) was at the peak of his powers and delivered a travelogue of America and its unique characters that has never been matched. This show holds up like no others for repeated viewings, and we will probably never see a show actually shot on locations throughout America like this again (even The Fugitive was only just shot around southern California).

There are other links on this forum (search Best of Route 66) that discuss individual episodes. It's a great ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks