What's new

Route 66 (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I could picture Maharis doing his own breezy take on “It’s My Life”
Sorry Alan. Went to sleep right after I posted this. Now that you mention it, so could I.

But one thing that caught my attention were the wall trophy's of live female heads instead of animals. That would go over big in today's society. :rolleyes:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Completed Laura Devon-a-thon

The Invaders (1967-1968) S01E11 The Betrayed (March 28, 1967) At first I thought like many actresses of that time period Miss Devon had given into father time and had undergone plastic surgery as her facial skin appeared restricted and tight around the eyes, her cheek bones protruding more than I’d ever seen.

Like many shows of the ilk this series simply no longer holds up for me. I found myself feeling almost as bored by it as I was after watching The Immortal. The premise just plain silly.

A few screen caps (restoration required from the YouTube video.)

The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-1a.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-3.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-4.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-9.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-10.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-11.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-12.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-13.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-14.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-16.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-17.jpg The Invaders The Betrayed (1967)-18.jpg

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Coronet Blue (1967) S01E12 Where You from and What You Done? (1967) Immediately upon my first look at Miss Devon I realized that plastic surgery could not have been the case. Here in her final curtain call as an actress she never looked more gorgeous. It’s truly amazing how the cosmetic make-up team can either make or break the appearance of and actress (or actor for that matter.) She was delightful in every way. As in The Fugitive The Chinese Sunset (1966) her acting performance was as stellar as she was stunning. Here she portrayed yet another troubled young woman complete with delusions. Cute and dangerous. A heart breaker. Plus an unexpected surprise, we get to see and hear Miss Devon singing! I was surprised just how much I enjoyed this one having disliked most if not all the other dozen episodes of this short-lived series.

Here are screen caps (restoration required from the YouTube video), followed by a clip.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Great stuff, Neal! Though I can't really relate to your take on The Invaders...guess it all boils down to, there's thems that likes sci-fi and thems that don't (sic).

Laura Devon does indeed look totally gorgeous in that Coronet Blue episode. I made it about halfway through "Where You Been and What You Done?" when I tried to watch it a year or so ago...I ended up switching it off. My tolerance for crazy psycho ladies is low, I suppose, no matter how good looking they might be. Need to get back to this one and force my way through to its conclusion. Your caps, despite being taken from YouTube, look great, so your digital clean-up must have worked.

I quite liked a few of the more action/espionage episodes of Coronet Blue. The pilot is pretty striking, and I very much enjoyed the one where the couple try to trick Steve Alden (Frank Converse) into believing he is their son all in an attempt to set him up to take the fall for an assassination attempt. But there are far too many angsty youth-oriented navel-gazer episodes that come afterward to suit my tastes.

Speaking of Frank Covnerse...I'm looking forward to receiving (when it finally gets here!) my recent order of Movin' On S1. The '70s truckdriver spiritual successor to Route 66.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Great stuff, Neal! Though I can't really relate to your take on The Invaders...guess it all boils down to, there's thems that likes sci-fi and thems that don't (sic).

Laura Devon does indeed look totally gorgeous in that Coronet Blue episode. I made it about halfway through "Where You Been and What You Done?" when I tried to watch it a year or so ago...I ended up switching it off. My tolerance for crazy psycho ladies is low, I suppose, no matter how good looking they might be. Need to get back to this one and force my way through to its conclusion. Your caps, despite being taken from YouTube, look great, so your digital clean-up must have worked.

I quite liked a few of the more action/espionage episodes of Coronet Blue. The pilot is pretty striking, and I very much enjoyed the one where the couple try to trick Steve Alden (Frank Converse) into believing he is their son all in an attempt to set him up to take the fall for an assassination attempt. But there are far too many angsty youth-oriented navel-gazer episodes that come afterward to suit my tastes.

Speaking of Frank Covnerse...I'm looking forward to receiving (when it finally gets here!) my recent order of Movin' On S1. The '70s truckdriver spiritual successor to Route 66.
As always thank you for your kind words and support. It is quite interesting how stunning she appears in Coronet Blue as opposed to The Invaders. I believe she looks at her best in her earliest appearances in Wide Country, Route 66, The Gallant Men, The Twilight Zone and Stoney Burke not because she was younger but because her appearance, her roles portrayed a more natural look. Miss Devon was a natural beauty who did not require make-up, with the exception of her role in The Fugitive where her role as Penelope Dufour dictated just that.

I want to clarify when I stated "like many shows of the ilk" I wasn't referring to all sci-fi of the classic televison era. To name just a few, the obvious ones like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Star Trek, and even Science Fiction Theatre will hold me on the edge of my seat, while others like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel and Land Of The Giants have not held up. They did back when, but no longer. And I absolutely suck up Science Fiction motion pictures.

If your tolerance for crazy psycho ladies is low, then I'm surprised you enjoy so many Route 66 episodes? Now that I enjoyed Where You from and What You Done? (1967) so much I will go back and give some of those Coronet Blue you mention another watch. You will love Movin' On.

Finally and I meant to include this above. If there is an afterworld and she is reading this. Miss Devon, I truly love you and I'm extremely saddened you are no longer with us. I wish just once I had the opportunity to write to you and say just how much your peformances moved me and that you will always be remembered forever!

Tom.W

Second Unit
I was thinking that I had seen Laura in a Night Gallery but then discovered that I was confusing her with Joanna Pettet, the English actress (NG: The Girl with the Hungry Eyes). A remarkable resemblance, I'd say. Equally beautiful too, wouldn't you agree, Neal? Fortunately, she is still with us.

joanna.jpg
pettet.jpg
joanna1.jpg

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Joanne Pettet is well known to me, in fact more so than Laura Devon. I can see why you see the resemblance particularly with Miss Devon’s images directly above from Coronet Blue where they each have similar coloring. I certainly agree they are equally gorgeous in their own unique ways. I’d say the images you’ve posted from Night Gallery might be about as pretty as I’ve ever seen her. Perhaps because I’ve rarely if ever seen her in color.

Her Filmography is quite impressive. You certainly chose the right thread as her very first acting role was in Route 66 S04E13 Child of a Night (Jan.03.1964)!

A few screen caps.

Route 66 S04E13 Child of a Night (Jan.03.1964)-1.jpg
Route 66 S04E13 Child of a Night (Jan.03.1964)-2.jpg
Route 66 S04E13 Child of a Night (Jan.03.1964)-3.jpg
Route 66 S04E13 Child of a Night (Jan.03.1964)-4.jpg
Route 66 S04E13 Child of a Night (Jan.03.1964)-5.jpg
Route 66 S04E13 Child of a Night (Jan.03.1964)-6.jpg

For me, her most memorable performance was in The Fugitive S03E21 Shadow of the Swan (Feb.08.1966) where she plays Tina Andresen, yet another extremely troubled young woman, (surprise Jeff!!) A love story gone awry and a Fugitive episode with a special feeling all it’s own! The music cues makes it eerily unforgettable. A rare episode for Richard Kimble as he smiles.

A clip:

Thanks for your thought provoking post Tom. I know who I’ll be dreaming of this morning. :)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I want to clarify when I stated "like many shows of the ilk" I wasn't referring to all sci-fi of the classic televison era. To name just a few, the obvious ones like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Star Trek, and even Science Fiction Theatre will hold me on the edge of my seat, while others like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel and Land Of The Giants have not held up. They did back when, but no longer. And I absolutely suck up Science Fiction motion pictures.

I agree with you completely about the Irwin Allen shows, Neal...just surprised to see you lump the very somber and comparatively grounded The Invaders in there among them.

If your tolerance for crazy psycho ladies is low, then I'm surprised you enjoy so many Route 66 episodes? Now that I enjoyed Where You from and What You Done? (1967) so much I will go back and give some of those Coronet Blue you mention another watch. You will love Movin' On.

Ha! Yes, no shortage of kookamunga cuties and batshit crazy broads on Route 66 (and, to a certain extent, The Fugitive), but the leads on the latter two shows are strong, charismatic presences (yes, even Glenn Corbett), enough to balance things out for me. Frank Converse, who I do like, especially later in stuff like the aforementioned Movin' On, is a bit too much of a blank slate in Coronet Blue. And I don't just mean his character Steve Alden not knowing who he is...Converse tries hard, but just seems rather a bland mannequin at this stage in his career. Actually, he's fine, really...but there doesn't quite seem to be enough "there" there, if you know what I mean - especially when stacked up against a real colorful basket case like Laura Devon's Ava Lou Springer. He gets blown right off the screen.

Finally and I meant to include this above. If there is an afterworld and she is reading this. Miss Devon, I truly love you and I'm extremely saddened you are no longer with us. I wish just once I had the opportunity to write to you and say just how much your peformances moved me and that you will always be remembered forever!
Nice sentiments, nicely expressed!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I agree with you completely about the Irwin Allen shows, Neal...just surprised to see you lump the very somber and comparatively grounded The Invaders in there among them.
You know just might be after watching all the earthbound Devon-a-thon appearances I just wasn't ready for an other-worldly one? My Laura doesn't belong with any stinking aliens, particularly ones with stiff pinkies!!!!!!
icon_e_teehehe.gif

Ha! Yes, no shortage of kookamunga cuties and batshit crazy broads on Route 66 (and, to a certain extent, The Fugitive), but the leads on the latter two shows are strong, charismatic presences (yes, even Glenn Corbett), enough to balance things out for me. Frank Converse, who I do like, especially later in stuff like the aforementioned Movin' On, is a bit too much of a blank slate in Coronet Blue. And I don't just mean his character Steve Alden not knowing who he is...Converse tries hard, but just seems rather a bland mannequin at this stage in his career. Actually, he's fine, really...but there doesn't quite seem to be enough "there" there, if you know what I mean - especially when stacked up against a real colorful basket case like Laura Devon's Ava Lou Springer. He gets blown right off the screen.
Yes, no shortage of kookamunga cuties and batshit crazy broads EVERYWHERE, classic tv and in our real world!!! And right there above your post too is Joanne Pettet in The Fugitive S03E21 Shadow of the Swan (Feb.08.1966). No need to convince me about Frank Converse's lack of charisma in Coronet Blue. As I wrote somewhere here I bought it day of release June 20, 2017 and I still have one episode to go. :)
Nice sentiments, nicely expressed!
Thanks Jeff. I got choked up as I was writing that.
Joe Silver
Here we are again Alan. The only two folks in our time zone still awake. Who's Joe Silver? You gotta explain this stuff so early in the morning. I haven't the strength to do anymore searching.
icon_e_goodnight.gif

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Here we are again Alan. The only two folks in our time zone still awake. Who's Joe Silver? You gotta explain this stuff so early in the morning. I haven't the strength to do anymore searching.

Isn't Joe Silver the guy who plays Max, the owner of the bar/deli/whatever the place is that Steve Alden works at for a brief time, and then hangs out subsequently nearly every episode? I like that guy, too.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Her Filmography is quite impressive. You certainly chose the right thread as her very first acting role was in Route 66 S04E13 Child of a Night (Jan.03.1964)!
Quite a coincidence! I wasn't aware of that. Another coincidence: I'm currently working my way chronologically through Route 66 for the third time. I'm in the fourth season and I'm a few episodes short of Child of a Night. I'll keep an eye for Miss Pettet there. She looks a lot different as a 22 year-old! I almost didn't recognize her. Thanks for the information and pics, Neal.

Love the Route 66 theme. Has everyone (who has the dvds) noticed that the high fidelity, stereo version plays during the menus of the Shout release? Likely granted from the album version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks