What's new

Mac Studio & Studio Display (1 Viewer)

Robert Saccone

Premium
The speculation in that article was mostly that Apple was not going to update the Studio, rather than that they were going to discontinue it. So you'd have M2 Mini => M2 Pro Mini => M1 Max Studio => M1 Ultra Studio => M2 Ultra Mac Pro.

Seems to me that it would make sense to update the Studio with M2 Pro and M2 Max chips. If the revised Mac Pro turns out to be just "a M2 Ultra Studio with PCIe slots and MPX graphics card bays," well, they can still differentiate it on the expansion slot basis.
Hard to know what they plan to do. Could end up being temporary like the iMac Pro was.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This speculation is exhausting. I've been saying all along that the Studio will most likely be a 2-4 year cycle. Maybe with a "refresh" in the middle of basically boosting something for the same price. The product hasn't even been out for a year and its death is already being predicted.

As I understand it, the Studio is quite popular. It clearly fills a niche that people want. It is certainly my dream Mac.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
New rumor says no new mini LED Studio Display being released anytime soon

Of course, as always, speculation

Robert Saccone

Premium

Robert Saccone

Premium
Been trying to snag a Mac Studio on Apple's refurb, only the baseline model and then very high-end models keep popping up. Looking for 64GB M1 Max 1TB. Somewhat frustrating.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Been trying to snag a Mac Studio on Apple's refurb, only the baseline model and then very high-end models keep popping up. Looking for 64GB M1 Max 1TB. Somewhat frustrating.
Robert,

Don’t think you will be waiting too long. Have seen a 64GB/1TB advertised when I was looking to buy. I’ll keep a lookout as well.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s exactly what I got, in refurb. You have to constantly check and move fast. FWIW, 64GB ended up being complete overkill, for me at least.

Robert Saccone

Premium
That’s exactly what I got, in refurb. You have to constantly check and move fast. FWIW, 64GB ended up being complete overkill, for me at least.
I am software engineer working on all the Apple platforms so there's all sorts of "wonky" things I end up doing that eat up memory.

Too bad Apple refurb doesn't have a notification system.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am software engineer working on all the Apple platforms so there's all sorts of "wonky" things I end up doing that eat up memory.

Too bad Apple refurb doesn't have a notification system.
I ordered mine late on a Sunday night, so check it all the time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just got a refurbished Mac Studio M1 Max 10 Core, 32 Core GPU, 64GB with 2TB of storage.

Robert, congrats on your new Studio. That's great news. A little more than you wanted but I know you were concerned about availability.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just got a refurbished Mac Studio M1 Max 10 Core, 32 Core GPU, 64GB with 2TB of storage.
Yeah, they had a big release of Studios. A lot of them are still available, but not your configuration. So it's good you got it when you did.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not to get political on HTF, but the Studio is one of the few products Not made in China. It’s produced in Malaysia, which (to me) gives a huge nod to this product.

Is the Pro still produced in CA?

Robert Saccone

Premium
Not to get political on HTF, but the Studio is one of the few products Not made in China. It’s produced in Malaysia, which (to me) gives a huge nod to this product.

Is the Pro still produced in CA?
The Apple developer community is anxiously awaiting a new Pro model announcement based around the M series chip. It’s the last model that needs to be migrated to the new chip architecture.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Apple developer community is anxiously awaiting a new Pro model announcement based around the M series chip. It’s the last model that needs to be migrated to the new chip architecture.
Can’t come too soon, even though I love my iMac 24. I’ll be happy to pay more for domestic (or friendly nation) labor.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks