What's new

Mac Studio & Studio Display (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I ordered both, the Mac Studio arrived about 10 days ago, the Studio Display is due next month. I dug up my old 27" Apple Cinema Display (LED) - the next to last ACD. Works fine with an $11 adaptor from Amazon (after waisting 30 minutes on the phone with Apple Care who seemed to believe there was no way to do it).

Long story short, yes, the Mac Studio is great. For my purposes I really would do better with a M1 MacMini, but I wanted to max out on the (8TB) SSD. I may end up using it to replace my mom's 8 year old 27" iMac, as she wants/needs a big screen, and the M1 iMac maxes out at 24". But, for now it's my only functional desktop Mac.

One problem so far: my ancient, but always reliable Epson Perfection 2580 scanner is bombing "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)" -- this after installing a new Epson driver. Any advice is helpful, the mighty google has not succeeded yet. Yes, "use your iPhone to scan" is fantastic advice for random docs, but not for boxes full of family photos...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Next problem: figuring out the best way to transfer and what quiet external storage to use for the ~44TB of data on the 4HDs sitting in my dead 2009 MacPro. The easiest and cheapest approach might be just to buy a used *working* 2012, 2010 or 2009 MacPro with a SSD boot drive and just transfer the HDs...

All advice welcome

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You’re a prime candidate for a NAS to have a single giant pool of 40+ TB. Can buy Synology or QNAP etc or can DIY high-end NAS with Unraid if you’re so inclined.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
One problem so far: my ancient, but always reliable Epson Perfection 2580 scanner is bombing "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)" -- this after installing a new Epson driver. Any advice is helpful, the mighty google has not succeeded yet. Yes, "use your iPhone to scan" is fantastic advice for random docs, but not for boxes full of family photos...

Have you tried this?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252385657

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The Image Capture (ICA) driver, yes: same error. I haven’t tried VueScan
I was thinking about the post that said "The solution was to go into settings>printers and scanners, click "+" and just add the scanner." Sounds like doing that after installing the new Epson driver might fix the problem. (But it's just a guess, since I don't have the equipment necessary to replicate the issue or to test the workaround/fix.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I ordered both, the Mac Studio arrived about 10 days ago, the Studio Display is due next month. I dug up my old 27" Apple Cinema Display (LED) - the next to last ACD. Works fine with an $11 adaptor from Amazon (after waisting 30 minutes on the phone with Apple Care who seemed to believe there was no way to do it).

Long story short, yes, the Mac Studio is great. For my purposes I really would do better with a M1 MacMini, but I wanted to max out on the (8TB) SSD. I may end up using it to replace my mom's 8 year old 27" iMac, as she wants/needs a big screen, and the M1 iMac maxes out at 24". But, for now it's my only functional desktop Mac.

Ted,

I am very glad to hear you are happy with your Mac Studio.

I am waiting to see if Apple introduces a Mini Pro with more than 16GB of ram or if the Studio is that very product.

Looking forward to reading your impressions of the Studio Display.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about the post that said "The solution was to go into settings>printers and scanners, click "+" and just add the scanner." Sounds like doing that after installing the new Epson driver might fix the problem. (But it's just a guess, since I don't have the equipment necessary to replicate the issue or to test the workaround/fix.)
I did do the click "+", I tried it both before and after installing the Epson driver. I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a macOS bug, because unless my memory is completely shot, the scanner was working fine on my M1 MacBook Air, but now is hitting the exact same error (both the Studio & the Air are running the latest & greatest macOS).
Just to be clear, this is not a scanner problem -- it works fine with my (Intel) MacBookPro which is running an old version of macOS. I stopped upgrading so I could still use MPEG Streamclip and Aperture

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I tried VueScan: keeps crashing, never did even acknowledge that the scanner was attached -- something macOS clearly did see. So, useless. Back to square one, which is presumably buying a new scanner....

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I fully expect to get a Mac Studio soon. I usually go Apple Refurb, since they're essentially as good as new. Usually they're 15% off, but for some reason the Studio is only 10%. I go back and forth on whether to upgrade to 64GB of RAM on the base model, but I really don't challenge the RAM and my understanding is that 32GB of integrated is pretty much like 64GB of socketed. My 2018 Mini has 32GB.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife got the 8GB m1 iMac. Every review said what you note: it’s so efficient it’s like twice the memory. But it was not good. Frequent “out of application memory” errors.

Looking back on the reviews, they were all of the form “run a single video edit app and process a very large set of files”. But her usage is run lots of applications — MS Office and Adobe CC — and have lots of small and medium size files open. And my guess is that the system is tuned for massive video data throughput but not for juggling lots of files with lots of apps.

That said, I asked this week and she said the system has been better behaved lately with much fewer memory problems.

So there may also be an aspect of macOS being improved for the m1 and/or some unknown apps requiring Rosetta finally getting upgraded to m1 native?

IDK

My experience, I’m overbuying RAM next time we upgrade her system.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My wife got the 8GB m1 iMac. Every review said what you note: it’s so efficient it’s like twice the memory. But it was not good. Frequent “out of application memory” errors.

Looking back on the reviews, they were all of the form “run a single video edit app and process a very large set of files”. But her usage is run lots of applications — MS Office and Adobe CC — and have lots of small and medium size files open. And my guess is that the system is tuned for massive video data throughput but not for juggling lots of files with lots of apps.

That said, I asked this week and she said the system has been better behaved lately with much fewer memory problems.

So there may also be an aspect of macOS being improved for the m1 and/or some unknown apps requiring Rosetta finally getting upgraded to m1 native?

IDK

My experience, I’m overbuying RAM next time we upgrade her system.
Even if it is efficient, 8GB is still pushing it. I’ll probably go ahead with 64GB since it doesn’t make sense to skimp on a high end computer.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
8GB turned out to be just fine for my use case. My Mac mini stays on 24/7 and has only been rebooted twice since I bought it a few months ago. Admittedly, I only use it to pay bills, maintain some Excel spreadsheets, and occasionally surf HTF or Amazon while I’m doing work stuff in my office so I’m definitely not pushing it anywhere to it’s limits. Still though, it’s the best damn computer I’ve ever bought. Ever.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
8GB turned out to be just fine for my use case. My Mac mini stays on 24/7 and has only been rebooted twice since I bought it a few months ago. Admittedly, I only use it to pay bills, maintain some Excel spreadsheets, and occasionally surf HTF or Amazon while I’m doing work stuff in my office so I’m definitely not pushing it anywhere to it’s limits. Still though, it’s the best damn computer I’ve ever bought. Ever.

Clinton, I am very happy to read that your Mini under this configuration worked out well for you.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Count me as officially in. Mac Studio is on the way. Should be here Thursday. Max with 64GB RAM and 1TB SSD. Years ago I moved to storing pretty much everything that isn't system/app related on external storage. I actually don't even need 1TB of SSD, but figured it will be useful for Photoshop scratch space.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Count me as officially in. Mac Studio is on the way. Should be here Thursday. Max with 64GB RAM and 1TB SSD. Years ago I moved to storing pretty much everything that isn't system/app related on external storage. I actually don't even need 1TB of SSD, but figured it will be useful for Photoshop scratch space.

Congrats on your new baby, John!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, I ordered the Mac Studio as a refurb from Apple, which I used to do regularly, but haven't done in several years. It said it shipped on Tuesday, actually overnight Monday. It has a UPS tracking #, which shows the shipment as not having been received yet by UPS. I seem to have a vague recollection that Apple might use a different carrier to transport shipments, and just use UPS to deliver them. Does anyone else know? I'm letting my anxiety get to me a bit, because it's supposed to be here tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks