What's new

How to buy a "new" Mac affordably? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I like everything Apple did this time around except (presumably) ditching the magsafe connector in leiu of USB-C. That was as boneheaded as moving the power button from the top of the iPhone to the side opposite the volume buttons. That being said, the leaked specs look like an incredible machine.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not particularly a fan of USB-C

Many issues using it with my MacBook.

First, it's not often a secure connection. The connectors do come loose very easily.

Second, it's a "must" that if you are going to use any accessories (such as a USB drive or ethernet connection) that you will have to get a multi-adapter. I have tried two, and they aren't very reliable at staying properly connected. I would say Monoprice makes the best ones I have used.

I understand the reason for going with USB-C. It does allow the laptops to have a smaller footprint. However, it's necessarily a good trade-off.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Not particularly a fan of USB-C

Many issues using it with my MacBook.

First, it's not often a secure connection. The connectors do come loose very easily.

Second, it's a "must" that if you are going to use any accessories (such as a USB drive or ethernet connection) that you will have to get a multi-adapter. I have tried two, and they aren't very reliable at staying properly connected. I would say Monoprice makes the best ones I have used.

I understand the reason for going with USB-C. It does allow the laptops to have a smaller footprint. However, it's necessarily a good trade-off.

upload_2016-10-19_23-50-22.png

Ron,
I've been using this on my MacBook with good results for a long time. You can get it in a color that matches your MacBook, and also allows for charging while using the other ports.

Raul

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have something similar, but with ethernet port for home connectivity.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm very interested in what's announced, hopefully new iMac's. I'm looking at my options and for now I'm staying with my outdated, too-slow iMac. But maybe I can buy a new computer next year.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got $1000 needs but $2500 tastes. :) And after experiencing how USB 3 is far faster than USB 2 -- which really matters for backups -- I can't bear to buy an older USB 2-only Mac.

If the Mac Mini was a reasonable value, I'd buy that and a nice monitor and hope for a reasonable refresh path for the next five to ten years. But the Mac Mini got worse and then stagnated. So I think that line is done for.

I could upgrade my '09 iMac with a 500 GB SSD, which would improve my experience a lot. But that's $150 into an iMac worth about $300, and would take a Saturday. I can't get excited about that.

Rumors are for an iMac update in the Spring. I think I'll tread water with my pokey iMac and hope to buy a new machine in the Spring. It might go to my wife (graphic designer) and I'll take her 27" (late 2013, i5, Fusion Drive, non-Retina) iMac.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Dave,

First of all, I love iMac's and MacMini's (Use 2 iMac's at home [one for work stuff another one for everything else] and have 3 MacMini's at home [one for work, running parallels Desktop (Windows), another one for my girlfriend's use, and another one as my HomeTheater PC]). I also have 2 Mac Mini's in my Medical Office.

Unfortunately I've been reading many rumors that Apple is slowly phasing out it's desktop computers. The last MacMini and iMac refreshes were October 2014 and October 2015 respectively, so it doesn't bode well for us who like desktops. Also it appears that Apple is also getting out of the router business (Airports and Time Capsules) the same way they got out of the Display business.

Hope I'm wrong....

Raul

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Unfortunately I've been reading many rumors that Apple is slowly phasing out it's desktop computers. The last MacMini and iMac refreshes were October 2014 and October 2015 respectively, so it doesn't bode well for us who like desktops.

One year, plus or minus, is par for the course for the time between iMac refreshes. So if the last iMac refresh was in October 2015, I wouldn't read too much into it.

The Mac Mini and Mac Pro could definitely stand to get more love.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Mini is two years since last refresh, and the last refresh arguably made it worse than the previous model it replaced. It does not seem to be on a path to success. But Apple is hindered by Intel's increasingly lagging update schedule. I've never been a Mini enthusiast; and now that they might suit me they're really a poor value. I don't know if the Mini is done for. There are lots of rumors, but no facts.

The iMac is overdue for an update; it's past its average days since last refresh. Rumor is this Spring. I'm hoping that's an update that's good for me to buy.

Apple does appear to be out of the wifi router business. It's disappointing in that their Apple-specific software was reason enough for me to buy their products for my home network. But they're outdated. Apple has been out-Apple-ed by Eero in creating the next generation of "mesh" network hardware and software. And Apple doesn't compete at the low end, where there are a zillion quality routers for a fraction of the price. And if you actually need a 4- or 8-port switch for your LAN, you were never buying Apple because they've never had those products. This change makes me a little anxious, but I can see a silver lining of making room for great new products from emerging companies that are better than Apple in this category.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm disappointed that Apple is exiting the router business. Besides the Airport routers, I have never owned one that just works right out of the box. The various Linksys and D-Link routers I had over the years required regular reboots to keep them working correctly and setting them up was always a chore with my ISP. The Airports, on the other hand, were literally unbox, plug in, open Airport Utility and configure in a few seconds. It's probably been well over a year since I've had to restart my AirPort Extreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks