What's new

Mac Studio & Studio Display (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, I ordered the Mac Studio as a refurb from Apple, which I used to do regularly, but haven't done in several years. It said it shipped on Tuesday, actually overnight Monday. It has a UPS tracking #, which shows the shipment as not having been received yet by UPS. I seem to have a vague recollection that Apple might use a different carrier to transport shipments, and just use UPS to deliver them. Does anyone else know? I'm letting my anxiety get to me a bit, because it's supposed to be here tomorrow.

John, everything I have received through Apple has come UPS over the past several years.

Keep us posted.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John, everything I have received through Apple has come UPS over the past several years.

Keep us posted.
Ron, my question is, did you check the tracking when it was shipped, and did UPS show as having it in their possession, or did they not receive it until the day it was to be delivered? Some large businesses have another carrier actually transport orders, and have a delivery service, like UPS, do the "last mile" and delivery. This is also the most expensive thing I've ever ordered from Apple, but I know you have purchased things that were at least as expensive from them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, my question is, did you check the tracking when it was shipped, and did UPS show as having it in their possession, or did they not receive it until the day it was to be delivered? Some large businesses have another carrier actually transport orders, and have a delivery service, like UPS, do the "last mile" and delivery. This is also the most expensive thing I've ever ordered from Apple, but I know you have purchased things that were at least as expensive from them.

My circumstance is a little different as all my UPS Apple Deliveries have been release-day items. So, what happens is most of the time, tracking shows it has been shipped but UPS doesn't show an update until the delivery day when it's in their facility. I think this is usually due to the fact the shipments are originating from overseas.

That sounds like the situation you are having, though I am not certain if refurbs come from outside this country or not.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My circumstance is a little different as all my UPS Apple Deliveries have been release-day items. So, what happens is most of the time, tracking shows it has been shipped but UPS doesn't show an update until the delivery day when it's in their facility. I think this is usually due to the fact the shipments are originating from overseas.

That sounds like the situation you are having, though I am not certain if refurbs come from outside this country or not.
OK, that’s what I wanted to know. Refurbs probably come from Cupertino, but what you said makes it apparent they do use a different carrier for domestic transport, and UPS just for delivery. It seems it should show up at UPS sometime today for delivery tomorrow.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, even though I ordered it Monday night and they said it was shipped then, it appears it wasn't picked up until today, and it's supposed to be here Friday.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
_NZ70263.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John, so happy to see you finally got it.

With 64GB ram and 1TB drive, you should be sitting pretty.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...and we're up and running. One of the benefits of reserving the internal drive only for apps and system is it only took about 20 minutes to migrate.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most of the results with the Mac Studio are pretty much what I'd expect. This is my first truly powerful computer. I've been using Minis for at least 15 years. The last couple I've had really have been surprisingly powerful. The Studio replaced a 2018 6-core i7 with 32GB of RAM. General Photoshop processes seem to be done in about 1/4 the time, but what really surprised me is using Topaz Sharpen ai. Previews that used to take 30-60 seconds are almost instantaneous. Sometimes they're done by the time I look at the status bar. Final processes which used to take 4-5 minutes are done in 5-10 seconds!. And it runs incredibly cool.

I always seem to forget that email passwords aren't migrated over. I have a few email addresses, and the work related ones have some pretty hefty security involved, and it always seems to flummox me for a bit how to get all my emails working again.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey John!

Great to hear that you are seeing immensely significant improvements over your i7 counterpart.

It seems to me that the MINIS are going to remain limited in power and RAM capability and that anyone that wants a PRO Mini will have to move up to the Studio line.

As far as Passwords are concerned, I wonder if those are stored in Mac Keychain. I use keychain and 1Password for all my stored passwords.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hey John!

Great to hear that you are seeing immensely significant improvements over your i7 counterpart.

It seems to me that the MINIS are going to remain limited in power and RAM capability and that anyone that wants a PRO Mini will have to move up to the Studio line.

As far as Passwords are concerned, I wonder if those are stored in Mac Keychain. I use keychain and 1Password for all my stored passwords.
The thing is Ron, a 6-core i7 with 32GB of RAM is no slouch of a computer. It's not like back in the Motorola days. The last two Minis I had were 4 and 6 core and about as fast as you could get outside a Mac Pro. When I did Sharpen ai stuff on that, it would get up to 160 degrees, but this one hasn't gone over 95 yet. Hell, the i7 idled at 110.

And yes, the Mac Studio is clearly the "Mini Pro" you've been waiting for, just with a different name.

Regarding the email passwords, I don't use anything outside the OS to manage them. I just know I have to manually enter them, and then restart the computer before they work.

I also got this nifty little base for it, with a cleanable air filter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, the Mac Studio is truly awesome. Never has this powerful a computer been available for $2K, Mac or otherwise. The base configuration should be all most people need. I will be adding one at my work office next year.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My only complaint is with Filemaker Pro, but this is Filemaker’s fault. I use some fairly large relational databases at work, and need to regularly recompile them. For some idiotic reason, Filemaker chooses to have their software use only one core. So, it‘ll never get fast unless that changes. I’m not on the latest version, which is M1 native, but that’ll only give me a 50% boost. If it hyperthreaded, it could be about 30x faster.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another extremely enlightening thread. I thank you all for your input.

I’ve been waiting for the smaller variant of the Mac Pro, but it sounds as if the Studio does a superb job, short of being able to swap out (I’ll use a high tech term here) the innards.

I almost hate to admit that I had no idea this area of the forum existed.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Too bad I don't really need another upgrade at all (from my DIY AMD-based Windoze PC build)... or I'd definitely seriously consider finally converting to a Mac Studio (and probably just occasionally run ARM-based Windoze for a few legacy things) after staying away from Macs since my college days in the late-80's...

Actually, for the few legacy Windoze things, I could probably just continue to use my current PC build instead since I probably wouldn't actually get rid of the machine...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“Windoze”

You’re triggering PTSD flashbacks to internet flamewars of the late ‘90s and early ‘00s!

I just hope no one starts dropping “M$” too! 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks